Can I polish at 12,000 OPMs?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Shaun Mcgowan, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Shaun Mcgowan

Shaun Mcgowan Virgin Detailer

2. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

No man.... just NO.

3. Kaban

My friend's dad has one, it's the biggest POS in the world. If you really want to try it, go on Craigslist, there is always about ten of them used floating around between 5-10 bucks. You use it once and you throw it away. Some guys said you can have it just to spread wax... but cmon, unless you are waxing a bus, a bigass pad like that won't be very effective on normal size cars, you will still have to do most areas by hand.

4. Shaun Mcgowan

How about buying it then returning it lol, I just donthave 120$ for PC witch is what seems to be the cheapest DA people reccomend. Would this one work for swirls on a hood and roof? Thats all I have for swirls but alot of other RDS.

5. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

look around, someone is always selling a PC..... usually well under 100.00

PC works fine......

6. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

Absolutly not. They are a joke.

7. Shaun Mcgowan

How about this crafstman, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00910721000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3
    its a 7" 3,800 opm.
    Im just looking for something really basic and dont want to spend more than 60$. Would 6.5" foam pads work with this or would I have to buy some sort of backing plate or attatchment. Anyone have a link to what I would need.

Or should I just buy a PC 7424 from homedepot and return it when im done? Anybody know where to get pads locally? What would I need for 6.5" foam pads to work with a porter cable

8. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

This Craftsman machine is probably only good for spreading a wax or sealant on a vehicle, and not for serious correction work that you have previously asked about..

Several members here have replied and all replies point to getting a Random Orbital machine of which there are at least 3 popular ones that we all have and use successfully - the porter cable 7424xp, the Griot's, and the Flex 3401vrg. The Meguiars G110V2 could also be included here.

Now you are talking about buying a machine and returning it after you are done - isnt that dishonest to you ??? Why would you want to do that?

Dan F

9. Kilo6_one

A PC is basic.........

Lol....... buying it, using and returning it. Nice......how unethical. that is on you, not even sure why would even ask a stupid question like that. People here are professionals, enthusiasts who like to do things the right way and cutting corners is not one of them that we endorse here.

I think people here have pretty much given you some solid advice.

Either.........Just fork of the money to do it right or don't do it all.

That craftsman is a piece of shit, get the right tools the first time instead guessing. People are trying to help you out with the correct advice, if money is an issue then wait till you have enough to get it.

10. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

Just get the pc for the tenth time. Lol Or if your not interested in buying all the tools just pay a detailer to do it for you.

11. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Think of it this way. If you're willing to spend $60 on something half-assed then just scrape together or wait until you can get another 30 or 40 bucks and do it right the first time and get a PC (Porter Cable).

12. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Thanks to the last four replies. I didn't want to be 'that guy' that tells it how it is.

13. Kaban

Go on ebay. You can find a used PC for like 60-80 bucks all day long. At least you will have a machine that will correct most paints, can be used for wax application and other products. Trying to be nice here, but you seem pretty set in your way.

If there is one thing I learned in life, is you get what you paid for almost 100% of the time. If you want to get even a bit serious about detailing, don't kid yourself with those Walmart type "buffers".

14. Kilo6_one

you know me, Ill be "that guy".........

most of "US" on here understand how to do things correctly, and even a lot of the noobs as of late have some level of knowledge, but when people here try to tell someone something it should be considered pretty much correct, if one wishes to continue on "with a fishing expedition" that is on them. But don't waste peoples time at least........

The other option is too "use the search function" and check out what people have been discussing for that last 12 months related to detailing, you may be overtly surprised that there is some legit information floating around on this site.

15. tfish1

tfish1 Birth of a Detailer

If you dont have money to blow detailing is the wrong hobby for you

16. Kilo6_one

that is so true.

17. tfish1

tfish1 Birth of a Detailer

We do things a bit diffrently here while other detailers find ways to cut corners and cheapen things for less than perfect results we buy the best chemicals on the market along with superior machines and great talent i dont mean to put you down in any way ive been there as a kid myself but this is the "major leauges" and you cant show up with a wiffle ball batt

18. Shaun Mcgowan

Thanks for all the advice guys I might have to just pick up a porter cable, will the foam pads on autogeek work with it or do I need some sort of backing plate

19. Kilo6_one

you will need a proper backing plate and pads.

Check out detailer s domain, they offer all inclusive packages and you get a forum discount.

20. Shaun Mcgowan