** BMW 135i Paint Correction **

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Rickrack, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Rickrack

Rickrack DB Pro Supporter

This BMW 1-Series was brought in for a basic 2-stage polishing treatment. The owner bought the car last year and wanted it in tip top shape for the spring. It had accumulated some light scratches / swirl marks over the winter, but overall it was in pretty decent shape. The owner requested not to wax the car because he enjoys doing it himself, so this was strictly just a polishing job with no application of an LSP.

Here is what the car looked like upon arrival:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started by giving the car a thorough rinse to remove as much dirt, sand and salt as possible to ensure that no additional wash induced damage was caused. As soon as I began rinsing, it was obvious that the car still had a good amount of protection left on it due to the paint beading water as seen below.

[​IMG]

Next, I foamed the car down, let it dwell for several minutes and rinsed again. I gave the car a basic hand wash and cleaned the wheels, tires & wheel wells. I foamed the car down again and clayed the exterior using a green Sonus clay bar to remove any bonded contaminants from the surface. I rinsed the car again, which was still beading heavily.

After I finished claying, I used Spray Nine cleaner on a microfiber towel to remove any protection that was present. In the picture below, you can see how the right side of the hood is no longer beading now that the protection has been removed.

[​IMG]

After the prep was complete, the defects were much more visible than they were before the wash. Below is what the car looked like after the prep. As you can see, it had its fair share of issues that had to be taken care of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have detailed quite a few newer BMW’s and find the paint to be extremely hard, besides the non-metallic black. I had a feeling this car would be no exception.

I played around with a few different 2 step pad / product combo’s which didn’t seem to do much since the paint was extremely hard. After some more testing, I decided that it would be easier just to do a 3 step polishing treatment to get the results I was after. It probably would have looked alright with just a 2 step, but since I have serious OCD issues, I opted for the 3 step instead.

For the first polishing step, I used 3m Extra Cut Compound (06060) on an LC orange CCS foam pad. This step took me quite a while since the paint was so hard and some of the scratches were deeper than expected.

[​IMG]

To remove the compounding haze left from the previous step, I polished the exterior with Menzerna Power Finish (203s) using an American Buffing green cross cut foam pad. I polished each panel for a lengthy period of time, which really started to amp up the glow and clarity in the paint.

[​IMG]

For the final step, I polished the exterior with Menzerna 106fa using a flat black LC pad. All headlights and taillight were polished with this combo as well.

[​IMG]

After all of the polishing was complete, I gave the car a thorough wash, making sure all of the polishing residue was removed from all of the jambs, crack , crevices, etc..

Since the owner requested no LSP, I wiped down the complete exterior with 91% alcohol to ensure no polishing residue was present. I followed behind with Zaino Z6 to remove the slight hazing from the alcohol wipedown.

I pulled the car outside to inspect my work and was surprised how amazing the car looked. The color is simply amazing and looks different depending on the lighting. Everything looked great, so I pulled the car back in the shop to complete all of the finishing touches.

[​IMG]

Al wheels and exterior glass was cleaned using Werkstatt Prime and sealed with Opti-Seal. I wiped all door, hood and trunk jambs down with Zaino Z8 and dressed the tires with Tuf Shine tire clearcoat. Lastly, all badges, emblems, etc. were detailed using a toothbrush style horse hair brush to remove any possible residue left behind.

Nice reflections…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Great job Rick, always enjoy your details.

3. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Great job. I love that color blue,you really brought it out.

4. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

Wow, those reflections look great. Nice job.

That car is a true definition of a driver's car.

5. Nica

Nica Banned

Vehicle looks great :thumb: I like the way the blue looks.

By the way I've edited this post, please follow the rules:

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f29/amendment-rules-1818.html

Please don't promote your detailing company, only those who choose to pay to advertise there detailing company may promote their detailing company. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact my self.

6. Denzil

Denzil Guest

That looks great Rick!!! Oh yeah, what's the Spray Nine product that you use? Is it just called Spray Nine Cleaner?

7. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Denzil, Spray Nine is an old cleaner that has been around for years. My parents still have a few cases of it when it used to be in metal spray cans. I guess you could say it was like Simple Geeen back in the day. I haven't heard Spray Nine in a long time myself.

8. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Thanks for the info Dana! I keep finding excuses to keep trying new stuff, LoL.

9. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Great detail...It looks beautiful...You did an awesome job...:worship2:

10. My2Cents

My2Cents Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Good job Rick, but tell me - did you do a three step detail all in a days job ?

11. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Where are the afters? I joke, I joke!

I normally am not a big fan of blue, but that blue is so great on BMWs. LOVE IT!

12. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

looks great!

13. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Wow, that's amazing! Great work! And photos are awesome too :D

Odd request by the owner regarding the LSP. Did he/she give you a reason as to why?

14. ///M LifeStyle

///M LifeStyle Birth of a Detailer

looks amazing! great work as always

15. Awesome job Rick. Those results are stunning.