Black Light

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Kilo6_one, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I got the opertunity to use Blacklight today, it was on my mother in laws MKX. Ok, when I opened the bottle it reminded me of Zaino Z5 Pro, it was even basically the same color. Purple. But thicker. Smelled like it too. Anyway, I applied it with a foam pad as I would any other sealant. It says you can use a DA, so when I do my car Ill probably do it that way. Went on pretty easy, and even; i waited 20 minutes and then wiped if off. It wiped off very very easy. It acts like Z5 is all im thinking... I backed out the car into the light and looked at it. It looked like z5, only with more depth which is a good thing. Ive been using z5 for 8 years on various personal cars and have always like the finish.
    In this case, it has alot of gloss like the pics on CGs site. It has a bluish tint on the silver MKX, so i can only imagine what its going to do for my Sti.
    Its not as slick as Z5, or powerlock, but I solved that by waiting an hour and applying Z8 spray seal which again, ive used for years have always enjoyed the finish.

Made it very very slick. and beaded very nicely as expected. All in all, its basically IMO Z5, but amped up. Which is good.

When I talked to CG, they said it can be topped with caranuba or sealant like V7 or z8. I will probably use this as my sealant of choice on my STi, and the simple fact I can layer this in 30 minutes instead of 5-12 hours depending on other products is a huge plus for me.

Ill post up my pics later.... i have a video too of the water sheeting and beading.

2. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

you might just be able to top that with some v7 monday.

thanks for the review!

3. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Just wondering what kind of durability you can get from just BlackLight...

I was looking at getting Zaino z5p or z2p (durability decent i guess?)

Looking forward to more info on CG BL at time goes.

4. Kilo6_one

Considering price, Z5 and Blacklight are basically the same. Z5p comes in a smaller bottle, and the BL comes in twice the size.

Durablity of Z5p, Alone. I put three coats on my wifes IS350 in 110 degree heat for 6 monthes and had no issues. reapplied two more coats prior to the winter and it lasted fine....

Durablity on personal cars to me is pointless, why? Because I put/reapply monthley iregardless of the product beading or not. Its just part of my cleaning regiment.

But according to CG, and some UK sites, guys are getting 6-8 monthes, not sure how many coats but I assume two. But again durability is based on environmental factors. Since my car lives in the garage 5 days out of the week and maybe gets 10 miles a week, who knows how long under my conditions. Someone who gets harsh winters, salt, dirt etc. Its going to obviously last alot less.

I used less then a cap full on the car today....... so cost wise it will last along time even if I use it on my cars, or customers.

Zaino is known for durablity...... Its popular on the lexus forums, and the vette forums. The entire product line is very good quality.

5. F. Premens

F. Premens Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Waiting for those pics and video. :thumb:

6. nothelle

nothelle Birth of a Detailer

Kilo6...thanks for the review :D How would you say the Blacklight compared with other sealant in term of appearance? Like i.e jetseal/MPL/BFWD? I've been looking into this one but I'm not looking to add another sealant unless the difference is cleary visible. So far i've been content with MPL/WGDGPS/BFWD for its look and slickness and wondering if this blacklight can provide something different

7. Kilo6_one

Deeper then MPL. I have never used the others you mentioned. Not as slick as MPL....... If you are familiar with Zaino products they look sort of plasticy, (if thats even a word LOL) but it looks deeper. Hard to explain. give me some time ill get some pics up. Check out CGs site... there are some good representations of the finish.

8. nothelle

Allright...i've tried z5 before, so plastic look but deeper? Hehehe might as well try a mix of MPL, Z5 and CG Wet Mirror, might provide the same result. lol... i am not a believer of photo result, but yeah pics from user will helps a lot :D thx

9. Kilo6_one

[​IMG]

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs016.snc6/166610_10150107657643713_655128712_5995110_3809638_n.jpg]/img]

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs899.ash1/180748_10150107657323713_655128712_5995108_1328249_n.jpg

[​IMG]

Is blacklight a game changer, absolutley not, is it better then anything else out there? I can't say that, Ive only had experince with MPL, and Z5p. In short its a nice product to replace Z5p, which basically for me it did. I still plan on using MPL on a regular basis.

Im not a fan of pics either, they really can't give a true representation of how a product really feels, works etc. Honestly, It looks like Z5p. If anyone is planing on getting BL, and has Z5p, just keep using Z5p.

sorry, not the best pics.... but you get the point. Beads like any other sealant, sheets like any other sealant, but by far has the baddest looking bottle LMAO.

10. nothelle

Kewl... appreciate the honest & straight up opinion dude! Might want to try it on the subaru, could yield different result on darker color :D thx

11. Kilo6_one

yes, that is what im thinking. Paul @ CG hooked me up on this so I could try it on the WRB color the STi, has. I probably wont actually use it till march when I do a full correction.....

But I may just do a fender, because I think it will yeild totally different results on a darker color. Ill do a 50/50 of 3 coats of MPL, and P21s 100% vs. two coats of BL and either V7 or Z8. depending LOL.

12. rfinkle2

Kilo6_one...what type of microfiber is that under the BL in your pics?

13. dogma

dogma Guest

My kit is due to arrive today ( weather permitting ).

I also have used Zaino extensively and imo nothing is more durable. I think the new version of Z5 is not plasticy or sterile looking especially when topped with Z8. That being said since Zaino lasts so long it has led me to try an array of different products. I am not a huge carnuba fan but I do try all the latest and greatest. My 2 favorite carnubas are CK CMW and Vics Chaos. I sold or traded my 50/50,petes53,souvran,blackfire and others. I do love glazes now especially RMG, VHMG , CG WMF, DWG and one of my new all time favorites Prima Amigo. I absolutely love every Prima product I tried. Amigo,BG,slick, epic and Hydro which is the singe best product ever IMO.

I plan on trying BL over Amigo topped with either the spray sealant in the kit or Hydro.

My fear with a lot of sealants is that it mutes metallic .Z5 and Z2 do not Epic just slightly. WMF does not at all. Does Wet diamond? BG and Hydro have the metalic bursting out of the paint.

14. rfinkle2

I have to send you some detail shoppe wet glaze 2.0 then. arguably the slickest product I've ever tried.

15. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

Quote - "Does Wet diamond? BG and Hydro have the mettalic bursting out of the paint."

Does a former drill sargeant make a terrible therapist?

16. Kilo6_one

Costco towel... No, i did not use it on the paint. LOL. just to put it on the hood. I use them on glass, they are awesome and dont lint if you prewash them

17. Kilo6_one

I only started this "topping" thing since I was here, Ive always used Zaino as an LSP and have been very happy with it, but its hard to use it on customers cars because IMO, its a constant maintance product, meaning I was always adding coats bi monthly. that was just me. Im sure it was just me.

I use MPL on customers cars, and Carnanuba if they ask or request it.

I wish zaino was more cost effective, like 32oz bottles atleast.......

18. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Wanted to add something for those who were still wondering what Blacklight was classified as a glaze or a sealant. I am quoting my buddy over at the detailing section of Modded Mustangs.

19. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Jedi Nuba

Makes me wonder why a CG rep was calling it a new kind of LSP...

Edit: After reading the description on CG site I have a hard time believing its a glaze. If it was a "glaze" it wouldn't have the durability they claim.

20. Kilo6_one

That is good to know, yeah. by itself it was ok, once I applied a spray sealant too it that is when it actually popped........

Just another method of making a car look good IMO.
    Ill order some V7 when my Z8 is gone and call it a day with BL.

MPL + Nuba is still my favorite. Just the cure/crosslink time is really long. BL appeals to me for the reason I can layer two coats in under two hours. thats a big plus...... we shall see. IM done messing with LSPs. LOL