Best place to pickup a SunGun?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by stealthmode, Mar 4, 2009.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

^^^ Check the lumen rating of each light if possible. I think you could see defect better with a Fenix because its one big LED bulb shining directly on the paint.

2. Wolfs Chemicals

Wolfs Chemicals DB Certified Manufacturer

I don't know what the lumen rating is on mine, but it seems to pick up holograms well being that they're spread apart. It even picks them up in almost broad daylight on a light colored car.

3. atomicfan

atomicfan Any Rag Vehicle Washer

4. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

i have one of cree flashlights i think, it has 3 brightness modes and 220lumen output from single LED, i might try that and take pics
    got it at dealextreme.com i think

5. odgaard

odgaard Birth of a Detailer

great, yet another thing i need to spend money on. just when i thought i escaped modding my car, i find this website and slip into the detailing addiction.

6. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Welcome to the club! :lol: Silly man, you never *escape* from modding your car!!! :p:

Think of it this way, the TK10 is less than $100, compared to the 3M Sun Gun which is well over $100. The extra bills can go to another product or mod. :thumb:

7. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

That dealextreme.com place is a GREAT find! Cheapest I've seen a TK10 so far.

8. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Holy crap! That's a great deal on a TK10!!!

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I've currently got this Surefire but will be looking into the TK10 and the Osram. What the hell. Does the TK10 have an optional rechargeable battery? My Surefire with the 120 lumen bulb will burn through 2 -CR123s in 20 minutes....but I can light up tree tops over 200 feet away!

[​IMG]

10. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

My spare battery for my Sun Gun was over $100!!

11. stealthmode

stealthmode Two Bucket System Washer

Ive been having trouble with metallic paints on picking up defects. With the Fenix the flakes just pop and I can only get a faint detection of scratches. Guess I gotta play with it more, but with it on normal mode it seems to pick up scratches better than turbo for metallic paints

12. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Hmm, so I'm contemplating which would be better... a Brinkmann Maxfire Dual Xenon or a Fenix TK10/11?

13. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

I picked up a Fenix knockoff at Sears for $40.. fires 220 lumens, just like the TK10 does, and works great. :shrug: I didn't need the "fenix" lable when for half the price I get the same light output (which is what you're after anyways).

14. atomicfan

atomicfan Any Rag Vehicle Washer

how can i activate the turbo mode on the tk11?

15. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

I am wondering the same thing.

16. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Is 220 lumens the magic number?

17. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Well, on the TK10 you just twist (tighten) the bezel; the part that you use to focus the lightbeam on a MagLite. I'd imagine it's the same with the TK11 as they look similar.

18. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Yep! That's pretty much as bright as they get.. though Fenix is coming out with a 600+lumen light soon.

19. Denzil

Denzil Guest

So would anything larger than 220 be overkill? I'm trying to do some research myself as far as shopping for lighting alternatives. :shead:

20. xmpz

xmpz Virgin Detailer