Best drying towels?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Kaban, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Thanks for the suggestions fellas!
    Do microfiber drying towels leave any streaks (after being properly squeezed)?

2. LDTCapitan

LDTCapitan Any Rag Vehicle Washer

One towel should be enough so that you don't have to wring it out

3. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

pat dry = no streaks , but yeah i've only ever had to use 1 monster towel except for the roof where I end up having to use a waffle weave as well (cuz I havent had chance to buy a 2nd monster yet)
    mind you my GLK is a truckkkkk

4. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Showroom FX WW. Nothing like it that I've tried.

5. armenakadino

armenakadino Birth of a Detailer

Which cg drying towel are you guys talking about there is a few on there website unless im going crazy here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

6. kyoshiro

7. bvhbmw

bvhbmw Birth of a Detailer

Can anyone explain why a perfectly dry MF towel won't really pick up all the water, but one that has a little moisture in it does? I always have to do a quick swipe, squeeze the towel to soak in just a little water, then it will work. Same holds true for all brands I have tried.

8. kyoshiro

I would probably say due to the properties of water itself. 2 blobs of water attracts itself to make 1 blob. We simply have blobs of water clinging to the microfibers :D
    I would have to look at the chemistry if you want a better description or a more scientific one.

9. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

^^ The Law of Attraction..

10. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

I considered it capillary action..wicking. In microfiber, water does not penetrate the fiber like cotton so it uses a different process to get into between the fibers.. That is my theory.

11. Kaban

12. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

yes I have the same ones but they'r 15 x 24 size

13. kyoshiro

14. Kaban

Thanks again guys! You're the best!

15. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

best drying towel ive found is a blower vac

cost me 70 bucks locally and is smaller and lighter than the metro and has a longer tube

then a couple spritz's of some QD as i work my way around the car with a CG elite 60x40

job done in 5 mins and no water flicking out of panel gaps, mirrors, wheels etc when i drive off

16. tpr676

tpr676 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have those not as thick as the old Adam's fat blue which I loved, not sure why they dropped them but for the money CG towel is not bad, just remove the tag. Adam's has a nice drying towel, Great White with detailer spray, I also use a Craftsman electric leaf blower.

17. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Werd!!

18. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

What type of blower vac did you find locally? I just use my gas leaf blower because I wash in a different location from where I finish the detail.

19. StanVanDam

StanVanDam Virgin Detailer

I use the Blue Sonus Der Wunder waffle-weave microfibre towels to dry the car. They absorb water easily (perhaps not as easily as a high quality, made in USA cotton towel). However, I'm not completely sure that they do not swirl the paint, since they are not plush and they are hemmed with a material that isn't microfibre or cotton.

Zaino White and Blond cotton towels would be the best for minimizing swirls, but maybe they aren't big enough for drying purposes.

I wouldn't blow-dry the car - any pollen, grit, dirt, etc. in the air would get blasted into your freshly washed paint (like sandblasting on a near-invisible scale).

20. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

I've never heard of that happening. Have you experienced that before?? What sort of blower did you use?

Many people use leaf blowers, vacuum blowers, air compressors to dry vehicles. As far as I know it is completely safe to do this.