Best cheap paint depth gauge

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Reflect, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Nica

Nica Banned

No, 200adv can only be used on non metal panels, meaning it can only be used on plastic or fiber glass panels...basically anything metal you wont be able to use the 200adv.

Now, do you really need to purchase the 6000? Well I've also purchased the DFT combo and will perform just as good as the 6000, the difference is that you wont be able to record any reading you take, nor will you be able to graph your readings. The 6000 is nice but it's not necessary.

2. blackjz

blackjz Jedi Nuba

so it's better to get DFT combo and 200adv then?

and as for enzo, i only need the 200adv? right nica?:)

3. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Weird you say that Carlos, because I've used the 200a on a Scud fender before, and it read. (it's aluminum). Also, I've used it on a steal trunk and it read fine, and then a PCC Ferrari 599 front fender. I was under the impression the 200a can not only split levels of the paint (primer, base,clear) but also read ANY time of metal/plastic/cf etc. :shead:

4. Nica

Nica Banned

Well from what I was told from Defelsko is that the 200advanced is meant for only plastic/fiber glass panels. I've read some posts that some members have been able to read on metals, I've never tried it my self but Defelsko told me that they don't guarantee the readings as it's not meant to be used on metal areas.

Away to test the accuracy is use the 200 first then use the 6000 or another gauge to check how accurate the 200 is :shrug:

So yes, on an Enzo all you would need is the PosiTector 200.

5. d00t

I was having trouble justifying spending $2800 on a paint meter.. now it's going to be $4k for BOTH? :( :thud:

6. Nica

Nica Banned

Well me personaly I enjoy having both but another way you could make it work is since you already have the 200 why not get the DFT Combo, the only draw back is that you wont be able to record the readings on the DFT Combo but it's a cheaper alternative. These paintgauge are not cheap, but in my opinion they are worth it....just my opinion.

7. d00t

No I agree. I actually don't have the 200.. I've just used it a lot when I went to SEMA last year and worked with Rich@Gloss-It. He has all kinds of cools tools!

Or I can go even cheaper, and get the highline (which I'm getting soon) until I get the 200a. It's hard to save money when there's so much other stuff I want :D. But today I was wetsanding on a car.. and feeling extremely uneasy because I don't have a PTG. Though I'm sure there's enough clear.. I wis I could just KNOW. It's the sense of assurance, yeah?

OT, Carlos I saw you were looking at another steamer.. did you want to sell me your vapor chief? :thumb:

8. blackjz

blackjz Jedi Nuba

agree with that...a seller suggested me to get DFT combo instead Positector 200..don't know what but surely he knows that i do detailing...and he told me that positector 200 has B and C series...anyone knows the difference?

9. Nica

Nica Banned

I agree d00t, it's that peace of mind knowing that your okay. It's not a good feeling wet sanding and having that frea that it might be your last stroke before you go through the clear...:scared: From what I've read from JL, there is nothing wrong with the highline, I've just never used it my self.

As for the steamer, really you want it...mmm...okay I'll phone Kevin and see how much for a more power full one and will go from there.

Yes, the 200 has B and C...um..if I remember corectly B - basic and C = advanced...I think, there is a chart that came with my gauge I'll take a look oh and they also have the chart on there main website but I might be mixing up the letters.

10. d00t

Here's the catalog from their website:

http://www.defelsko.com/p200/PosiTector200.pdf

I'm in no rush (wish I had the cash to say DO IT NOW) but I've been looking for one.. and I think a customer of mine is going to pick up my HWE so I should have some extra $$ to spend on a steamer (instead of a PTG :tiptoe: )

11. Nica

Nica Banned

That's the chart d00t, oh and I was way off :shakehead: I just got my gauges out and I have the PosiTector 200B/Adv.

As for the steamer, okay good, no rush on it as I'm currently helping some family members through some hard times, so I my self am a little limited on cash as well but if your in no rush we could just see how things go.

12. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Finally got chance to review the entire thread. How does one check the paint thickness on front/rear fascia's that are not usually metal at all?

For the common enthusiast and normal detailer, the HighLine Paint gauge seems like it will do the job. That is, unless you specifically need to accurately evaluate the thickness of each layer of the paint surface... ?

13. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

You need a non ferrous meter that ranges in price of $1000 or more. Positec 200/6000 are 2 that can be used to measure no metal surfaces.

14. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Thanks for confirming!