Been Kinda Bummed

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by littlemissGTO, Oct 27, 2008.

1. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Hehe, no push rods in my engine; chain driven dual overhead cams. I believe it's the #2 & 3 connecting rods; the middle two. Not sure exactly how I managed to do it, but I'd guess running lean on winter mix gasoline and a boost spike.

2. littlemissGTO

littlemissGTO Welcome to Detailing

Sorry Gary, I don't know much about motors that are in Mazda's. That's why I had to asked which of the two you busted up. No damage to the block?

3. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

No kidding? Wow. Isn't your MS3 basically stock?

4. zspectrum

zspectrum Jedi Nuba

Are we allowed to post up build threads? I have an track car I wouldnt mind sharing.

5. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Honestly, I don't know much about motors in GM cars; took a while for "pushrod" to even register in my brain. :doh: Just buying the car made me learn a bunch of new stuff; you apparently can't tune a Direct-Injected engine the same way you would a port-injected one. The dealership didn't mention any damage to the block, so I'm assuming - and HOPING - there isn't any.

Uhhhh, yeah....absolutely stock....yeah, that's the ticket!

I don't see why not...this is the Auto Bliss section. Post it up, I'd LOVE to see it!

:thumb:

6. zspectrum

zspectrum Jedi Nuba

look for it thursday. tracked prepped 08 sti :) car looks like shit, but its built for what I use it for.

7. zspectrum

zspectrum Jedi Nuba

Dude if you bent a rod. i bet your cylinder walls are fed. On my first sti motor. The rights took a dump. The rings were cracked broken missing etc, but the cylinder walls were fine, like unscathed. Still had the factroy crosshatching. Motor number 2 is still going strong.

8. littlemissGTO

Parts will be back from balancing this week. Assembly starts next week. That's the kind of news one would like to hear on their birthday.

9. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Nice! hang in there....

10. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

pics?

hows this
    [​IMG]

11. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

:applause2:

12. littlemissGTO

Well my builder is a busy guy I tell ya. He's about 4 days out from finishing up another project. Then when he's done with that my motor assembly will start. All of my parts are back from being balanced and the only thing that I need to pick up are push rods. He's going to let me know exactly what lenght I need then I'll call and have some overnighted.

It looks like I'll be breaking the motor in at the drag strip. I rented a local track for my car club at the end of the month. Should be very fun times.

13. littlemissGTO

Wow it feels like forever since I was able to post up news. I should be picking up my motor Friday. Sunday it'll be going in the car. Oh my word I can't believe there's life at the end of the tunnel.

14. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Just in time for the 7th!!!

A massive congratulations is in order methinks. How the hell you lasted this long without your car is beyond me. Are you prepared for how different she's gonna feel when you sit in the driver's seat, fire her up, snick it into 1st gear and let the clutch out for the first time?

:thumb:

15. Nica

Nica Banned

I agree, it's been a long time. Do you have an extra vehicle or something because I don't know how I would get by with out my vehicles.

Look forward on seeing your vehicle :popcorn:

16. littlemissGTO

Thanks Gary I have no idea how I've lasted so long. Sadly I've gotta bail on the 7th. I have to go to a charity car show. A family friend lost his son very unexpectedly and I really need to be there to show support.
    I'm going to be nervous the first time I drive the car. It's been so long. Heck I'm going to have to learn how to drive all over again...LOL

Yeah I picked up a second car when i realized that this was going to be a long and painful road to travel down.

17. Spyral

Spyral DB Forum Supporter

lol this may go down as the longest time frame to rebuild a stock motor ever!

Shauna, just focus on the 2 week long detail you HAVE to do on the car! That should keep you smiling!

I'm glad you are finally getting your car back together!

18. crew219

crew219 Birth of a Detailer

Shauna, make sure your installer resets the self-adjusting clutch mechanism on the pressure plate.

[​IMG]

From your picture, you can see that the SAC springs (3 yellow springs) are fully extended. They should be fully compressed.

Dave

19. littlemissGTO

Maybe, maybe not...LOL I had to wait my turn in line behind a couple of other projects. Nonetheless I'm glad this ordeal is almost over.

It might take me a little longer than 2 weeks to detail the car. I've got a couple of spots I plan on westanding...LOL
    My wonderful sleep patterns have gotten even worse since I got the news. I'm so excited/anxious I don't know what to do.

I'll remind him of that. Thanks.

20. crew219

crew219 Birth of a Detailer

No problem. The Audi B5 S4 uses the same Luk clutch mechanism.

Here's a writeup on how to reset the SAC.

AudiWorld Tech Articles

Basically the Self Adjusting Clutch is used to keep the friction point at a constant point throughout the life of the clutch. If the mechanism is all the way extended, you may run into issues with the clutch not releasing or a short friction point.

Dave