Back to two bucket - need to restock

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by cptzippy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

Since I've been here I've almost exclusively Used ONR or now a waterless wash but now that I'm going to put some serious work into my XJS I'm wanting the least marring technique I can do on a regular basis. I'm planning on going back to the old tried and true two bucket method but I'll need to restock a bit. So if you could help me with my shopping list I'd appreciate it...

1. Shampoo - used to use Prima Mystique but I gave away what I had a while back. Now I need a good shampoo.
    2. Wash Media - my old sheepskin was looking pretty sorry when I switched to ONR and I went to some microfiber pad things I got in 2007 (good size with lots of MF fingers). Back to sheep skin? BHB? or is the MF ok?
    3. Got plenty of MF for drying.

Any tips for good two bucket and keeping finish as good as possible? I'm a little rusty on the procedure except for the basics.

TIA,
    Tony

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Grit guards........ almost a staple in this method.

3. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

have one grit guard already.

4. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

Also wanting to know the best Wash Media. I used DD's Uber Sponge but after 10 cars, it's toast.

5. Kilo6_one

yeah, Uber sponge is nice.........mine last longer though LOL.

but they do tend to break down quicker then average. You can get a good grout sponge at any home improvement store, just make sure its soft.

as for soap, ive sort of settled on Optimum. ive tired it all and optimum seems to work well for me. Leave a nice slick finish.

6. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Meguiar's Hyperwash w/ foam cannon
    Lowe's Grout Sponge
    Air dry by driving or a blower
    QD or spray wax for the 10% of water that isn't blown off

Works very well at keeping the swirls away IME.

Also, don't use those MF wash mitts, they marr IME.

7. gthal

gthal Two Bucket System Washer

I'm surprised many are using sponges. I have found that they slide the dirt around rather than lift it. Maybe it's just the sponge I have used (Lake Country Wash Sponge)? In any event, I have returned to a soft sheepskin, CG super suds, two buckets and a leaf blower. I love the idea of a sponge but have not found one that didn't feel like it was scrubbing the dirt into the paint.

8. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

Sponges seem to be a love or hate type product but given may have different wash process (how much pre-rinsing, foaming, technique) I am sure it can be work safety. I just do not think they clean as well unless you press fairly hard down but that is why I mentioned pre-rinsing and soaking.

9. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

I'm not down with sponges either having tried both the Lowe's grout sponges and the Lake Country but not the Uber (although I have one). I mostly use the microfiber noodle/rasta mitts. They pick up dirt well, it is easily visible on the mitts and it seems to release well in the bucket. The other factor is that they are cheap so if I have even a sliver of doubt that it is contaminated I can just switch to a fresh mitt. I save my sheepskin mitts for the most important/delicate jobs although I'm not 100% convinced that they are really better/safer than the microfiber mitts.
    I don't own a compressor and a foam cannon/lance but I do have a Gilmore Foamaster that I use sporadically.
    Yes, to Grit Guards.
    When I'm using the two bucket method as opposed to rinseless or waterless washes I usually opt for either Optimum Car Wash or Dodo Juice BTBM. I probably have seven or eight different shampoos kicking around (not counting the waterless/rinseless stuff) and those are the ones I go back too. If really strong stripping action is needed I go with Optimum Power Clean or CG Citrus (not CG CW&G).
    I haven't explored the nano shampoos yet, e.g. Wolf's Nano Shampoo, G|techniq or Nanolex.

10. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

I would definitely get some Grit Guards, and I would give the Uber Wool Wash Mitt a go.

The Uber Sponges 10-20 washes and then move them to the wheels etc.

11. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

12. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I use the Megs MF wash mitts daily in my shop. I found that they fit my hands better than the larger sheepskin and I don't have any issues with marring. Pre rinsing is your friend. If your pre rinse is thorough, you should be able to use pretty much any wash media and not inflict much, if any marring.

13. Kilo6_one

Ive actually gotten good results with my two chemical guys wash mits, they lift away the debris, release it very well when rinsed. No marring here, its about how slick the surface is...............plus they are cheap. Those and the uber sponge are my favs.

14. WashingJosh

WashingJosh Jedi Nuba

I use a sponge for ONR, but use MF "rasta" type mitt for traditional washing. Don't know why, just do.

15. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

i keep hearing the cg mf "rasta" mits are great

16. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

Definitely don't get a super gigantic huge 2-3 inch long furry mitt. They carry WAY too much suds from the bucket to the rinse(wasting it) and never seem to let go of the grit as well as something shorter. Its like trying to get a burdock out of a long hair dogs coat - just not gonna happen without effort.

Megs MF mitts are great, as are the standard shorter sheepskins.

You are going to have better potential for less marring if you do a good pressure rinse and use a little film remover on the lower sides prior to that rinse.

17. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

Hi,

Shampoo: I like Lusso Autobathe or P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo for maintaining quality waxes etc. Otherwise I really rate the Poorboy's Super Slick and Suds, it's a good product with very good lubricity and cleaning ability, and it doesn't touch the sealant/wax. Zaino Z7 is also good, but I only use it on Zaino or other polymer sealants.

Wash media: I have not used a mitt for around 3 years, and I find that a good sponge reduces the risk of wash marring. I have used Zymöl sponges for most of the time, and have tried a few other sponges, e.g. the Dodo Juice Supernatural sponge, but didn't rate it at all, too dense and it didn't glide as well over the paintwork. Recently got some Uber sponges, they're very much the same as the Zymöl sponges, just a little smaller, the foam feels pretty much the same. So far so good with these.

A good pre-wash is always a good way of minimizing the risk of wash marring, foaming the car works okay. A more effective way IMO is to use a product like ValetPro's Citrus Pre-Wash in a pump-sprayer. I don't think it's available in the US at this moment though, but you could pray that someone will begin to retail it.

The ValetPro Citrus Pre-Wash doesn't strip protection and it works very well.

On drying, don't drag the cloth over the paintwork, always pattern-dry or use a blow-dryer.

Kind regards,

Ebbe

18. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

So I guess the Dodo Juice Wookie mitt would fall into that category.

19. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

So here is what I have to order so far:

Shampoo: griots garage car wash + Dodo Juice Born to be Mild
    Sheep Skin: Dodo Juice Wookie Mitt or the plain no name sheep skiing wash mitt (or just stick with my old Griots rasta type pads)
    BHB: Montana Boar Hair Wash Brush Plus
    Foammaster Foam Gun
    Two grit Guards

20. Kilo6_one

boars hair brushes are awesome....... just make sure you soak it for about 10 minutes before using it, I found that it softens up the bristles. I have on a broom stick to do do my trucks.