Back to prison, with 50 prior felony convictions

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by wagonproject, Jan 8, 2009.

  1. wagonproject

    wagonproject Jedi Nuba

    http://www.wwmt.com/articles/prison_...ior_going.html

    KALAMAZOO, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Someone who is all too familiar to police and prosecutors is going to prison after committing 50 felonies.

    The record on 57-year-old Cassandra Grant shows a whooping 50 prior felony convictions. Prosecutors say this is the epitome of a career criminal.

    "I was shocked, I seriously thought it was a typo," said Assistant Prosecutor Stuart Fenton. "Usually someone has three or four prior felony convictions, five, six, seven, eight, but I've never seen anywhere close to this many prior convictions."

    Grant's crimes have not been violent onces, but ones that cheat out banks, stores and individuals.

    "Everything under the sun when it comes to fraud," said Fenton, speaking of Grant's prior convictions. "Uttering and publishing, forgery, larceny, grand theft, no account checks."

    Grant has been in and out of jail and prison, and on and off probation for most of her adult life.

    This week, she was sentenced after pleading guilty to passing bad checks at a Kohl's department store.

    You would think someone with more than fifty felonies would automatically be sent away for a long time, but sentencing guidelines this time around suggested a maximum sentence of a little over two years.

    "They are rarely, if ever, rehabbed," said Fenton. "They are career fraud artists basically, yet the legislature doesn't recognize that in sentencing guidelines."

    In this case, Judge Pamela Lightvoet decided to exceed the sentencing guidelines and sentenced Grant to a minimum of eight years.

    :crasy:
     
  2. slanguage

    slanguage OD On Detailing

    :crasy:
     
  3. Buddy

    Buddy Getting to know Detailing

    :crasy::crasy:
     
  4. TexasTB

    TexasTB Obsessive Detailer

    Geez. Sounds like my recent ex wife. She got busted for stealing over $6600 from a school PTA when she was the PTA president. She faces up to 2 years behind bars.
    Wonder if that is the way she is going to be when she gets older.... hahah

    And no, I will not post the link to her mug shot from the news... LOL
     
  5. DG 501

    DG 501 Jedi Nuba

    :yikes:
    I thought of her when I read the post Chris! Good thing you got rid of her when you did :thumb:
     
  6. Nica

    Nica Banned

    Oh come on please link, I'd love to read it :poke: :poke:
     
  7. J BELL

    J BELL Nuba Guru

    Wow, 50 felonies and no long-term jail time...that is insane
     
  8. TexasTB

    TexasTB Obsessive Detailer

    Hahaha, yea, sad. I was like Hmmmmmm....... I wonder.

    Nica, pm sent
     
  9. joep

    joep Welcome to Detailing

    haha me toooooooooooo :applause2:
     

Share This Page