Autoglym HD Wax-What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Pats300zx, Aug 31, 2011.

1. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Certainly not hating for the sake of hating, tested it multiple times and just comparing it to all the other products I've got in my arsenal. I'd never bash anything I've never tried!

2. gthal

gthal Two Bucket System Washer

Not saying you are wrong necessarily but I have a VERY hard time believing a wax, any wax, will last a year. Collinite 845 would not last a year and there is no way this wax is more durable. Even the best sealants would struggle to last that long. Is this car ever driven :)

3. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

lets put it this way...is autoglym better then turtlewax?..yes. is it better then swissvax?..no.
    i would also agree that its a good "beater wax". it works well but not worth the money.

4. TechnikSLR

TechnikSLR Two Bucket System Washer

i have two tubs and really like the stuff. great lasting wax, i do have one question, what would you suggest that is also in this waxes category/price range?

5. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

Lusso oro!! best wax IMO for the price.

6. Phil.P

Phil.P Any Rag Vehicle Washer

His car is a summer car. It's on the road from Mai to November.

7. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Prima Epic
    Prima Banana Gloss
    Einszett Glanz

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I'm just screwing with you. I know you wouldn't bash something for no reason. :)

It shouldn't be better than Swisswax based on the outrageous money they charge for their products. It will last longer than a lot of them however as we've seen 5 months from a single coat. At the retail price of $49.95 it's a deal. Other than Collinite, I can't think of a more durable wax for that price. At the end of the day it still comes down to learning to polish properly, then it won't make a difference what your LSP is.

9. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

Yup, that's pretty much it. So that makes 7 months with 1 wash per week.

EDIT: I'm also not getting why now all of a sudden, everyone is against this wax and saying it's too expensive or not worth it's price, when about a year ago when Canadian Tire started selling it, everyone was rejoicing in the fact that it was less than half the price of what it USED to be sold for by vendors we had on this forum.

10. EvoFire

EvoFire Birth of a Detailer

I have the HD wax, I haven't touched it in the last year or so, not so much because I hate it but rather I don't have time to use it; I've been using my Duragloss synthetic a lot more because its more durable and I don't have the time like I used to do wax my car once every month. I do find the red applicator pads lame, but don't seem to have a problem with just a good ole foam pad.

I've never really had that clumping issue that you guys are talking about, but it doesn't really wow me all that much. Next time I'm going to try and let it sit over night or something and see the difference.

11. Phil.P

Phil.P Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Just used it last night on my Mazda3 as a quick topper to the PB EX-P I had under it for a while now. Honestly, the wax was pretty easy to wax on/wax off. I "primed" the applicator twice during the whole process which is what normally happens when I use hard waxes.

The shine it gives is pretty nice, made my flake (Velocity Red) pop! I got some stare on the highway since it was "glowing" lol! I'm still new to this game and havent tested ALL the waxes out there, but I know that the AG HD is a fantastic over the counter wax!

12. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

May not be effective, or part of the point, but here are some pictures of cars I've done using AGHD:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Night shot, so it's a little noisy)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All photos are untouched and were taken with a point and click camera.

Am I saying it's best wax out there for it's price, no (that would be Collinite 845). What I'm saying is that it is a very versatile wax that gives a good look (notice I didn't use "great") that lasts a good amount of time, all at a decent price.

If I compare this with Victoria Red concours, I can give the upper hand to the AGHD on all counts. Price, durability, look (although this is opinion) and effectiveness(beading). And the Vics was recommended to me by everyone here.

AGHD vs. Vics Red
    $50 / $48.50 + shipping
    7 Months+ / 2-3 months
    Warm and deep reflections / warm mellow reflections
    amazing beading from beginning to end / great beading at the beginning and weak after 1 month

13. TechnikSLR

Anyone use werkstat prime before applying ag? Might make it easier for you

14. Titanium Frost

Titanium Frost Virgin Detailer

Here are some pictures of beading on AGHD on my wife's Mazda 3. Process I used was

Wash
    Clay
    AG SRP by hand
    AG HD wax

HD is a little harder to use than AG EGP, which is what I used last, but the results are amazing I am hoping that, from what I've read, the HD will last longer than the EGP and the bonus is I can get it at my local Cdn Tire...on sale it was under $40.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. 911Fanatic

Funny you should suggest this. After claying and polishing, I applied the Hi Def over Werkstat Prime and it most definitely came off even easier than normal. Great tip.

16. TechnikSLR

Funnier still, you recommended this a while ago in "how to make white cars pop" . So in reality thank you!

17. 911Fanatic

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! LOL