attempted my first paint correction, need advice (pics inside)

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by jmccormick, Apr 2, 2012.

1. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

Then don't go for a miracle, go for a nice level of correction. Do your test spot and go see how your products work on the paint and what level of correction you can get without taking too much of the clear away.

2. jmccormick

jmccormick Virgin Detailer

I am probably going to use the same method and be done, it's a daily driver and WILL get scratched.

I deliver pizza's with it part time in rural area's with dirt roads. I would like to make it look decent though. Not striving for perfection on that car.

The pic doesn't look too bad, but it's worse than the Mustang was.

[​IMG]

3. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

I bet you can get a good 80% correction on it and make it look a lot better. Then get some good tough protection on it.

4. jmccormick

You have any suggestions for protection after correction?

5. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

A lot of folks will chime in I'm sure but collinite seems to be touch and long wearing (though I haven't used it). Layering some optiseal might work for you. There's a lot of nano sealants like Wolf's body wrap (and I think they promise some scratch resistance). If you're happy enough with the finish you might even put on a layer of Opticoat.

6. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

The Mustang looks really good, especially for a first attempt.
    As far as LSPs for the Grand Prix after it is corrected one option would be Opt-Coat v2. That would give you a few years of protection and hopefully the majority of any future marring or light scratches would be in the Opti-Coat and not the paint. The downside is that it sort of precludes using the Grand Prix as a test mule for other LSPs. As far as other, less permanent, alternatives go Collinite 845 is certainly a reasonable suggestion. I've used that, BFWD and Opti-Seal semi-regularly as well as sampling a few other LSPs. Opti-Seal is the quickest and easiest and seems to offer at least slightly above average protection from bird bombs and insects but it is the least durable of the three in my experience. In the summer (I've never used it in the winter) I put on a fresh coat every couple months.
    Some of the "nano" sealants/coatings on the market or coming out soon claim some degree of scratch resistance but I can't speak to this from personal experience and once again you're forfeiting using the Grand Prix as a test mule beyond whichever of these products you might choose.

7. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

I can speak to the scratch resistance. Aquartz nano helped; but certainly did not eradicate marring on my daily driver.

8. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

Don't know why I didn't think about this before. If you're not happy with the Mustang, you might try a little Prima Amigo. It will do a slight correction and act as a concealer to hid the rest.

9. jmccormick

I am very happy with how the Mustang came out.

it's near perfect IMO. perfect enough for me at least.