Anyone know of an OTC or DIY cloth seat cleaner?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by m4gician, May 22, 2008.

1. m4gician

m4gician Birth of a Detailer

Hey everyone,

Just looking to see if there is a cloth seat cleaner or combo I can get OTC or DIY? The only thing I found at the store was Turtlewax foaming upholstery cleaner, is that worth anything at all?

From what I was going to do was spray it on, aggitate a little with a soft/medium brush and maybe work in with an MF block and then vacuum away.

Anything you guys can recommend? The car btw is a 2006 Mazda 6.

2. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Tuff Stuff is a great OTC Cleaner. :)

3. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Tuff Stuff is good, and so is Blue Coral Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner...the only thing bad about these cleaners is that they always leave a residue behind on my 06 F150 tan cloth seats, but these seats have a lot of issues to begin with...

4. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

The Blue corral stuff is terrible, I dont recommend you use it unless you're going to use an extractor too. Itll leave the residue in the seat which makes it more prone to soiling.

5. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

Zep makes a cleaner for Upholstery that comes in either a foam spray or a spray bottle....stuff is great...the foam will turn brown from the lifting dirt and grime...I know I push ZEP..but the stuff works...most of my cleaning agents are ZEP now....they work and saves me money....I talk to Shabybreal once a week and he told me he bought the 5 gallons of APC and best he used....5 gallons makes 35 gallons of APC....

I use all the rug stuff...APC...citrus cleaners..glass cleaner....odor control....odor eliminator...deck wash...

they work...thats what I like....and saves me shipping and money

AL

6. Mindflux

I take it most of this is available at home depot?

7. Al-53

yes....thats the best part....you can get 99% of the stuff there....i was there the other day to get some organic fertilizer for my garden...and I seen they have ZEP car care stuff there now...well they have a ton of stuff..and a sealant..I may have the balls to try it...lol....was cheap enough..never know....no one really tried DG till I brought it up a few years back...

AL

8. Mindflux

Nice. Which ones do you like for multi purpose? I suppose they have an APC. I heard something about Industrial Purple the other day that sounded like a decent degreaser.

9. Al-53

yes..thats the one Shadybreal uses..he loves it...I use the orange APC and Zep All Purpose Cleaner & Degreaser Concentrate.....I use it on tires..wheels...wheel wells....trim...jams....I will get the Purple stuff next....for a few boats I have coming up and some dump trucks...\\\

PM shabybreal on it..he can tell you more on it and what he uses it for....he has been using it over a month now and said its much better than the Megs or ARO....

AL

10. NCZ13

NCZ13 Birth of a Detailer

be careful when brushing those seats.

im a former mazda6 owner, and those sued like seats wont do to well with a harsh brushing

11. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Every product I have used from Zep has been great. From the chemical resitant sprayer bottles to the anti-foam!

12. devast8

devast8 New Member

I agree with Al, ZEP product are awesome and economical plus you can get them locally. So far I've only used the citrus degreaser and there APC but next time I'm there I'm picking the window cleaner as per Al recommendation and I will also try the carpet cleaner

13. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Leather Care (Nubuck, Alcantara®, Suede, etc)Nubuck is top-grain cattle hide leather that has been sanded or buffed on the grain side, or outside, to give a slight nap of short protein fibres, producing a velvet-like surface. Suede is not commonly found in vehicles, however, Nubuck or a synthetic known as Alcantara® is commonly found in sports luxury vehicles; on the steering wheel, armrests and seat inserts both for aesthetic purposes and grip (on the seats and steering wheel) and the headliner, it is highly absorbent, creating a texture similar to velvet, many people confuse this product with suede leather.

As a general rule when cleaning Nubuck, Alcantara ®, Suede, etc you should only to use products specifically designed for this type of fabric. Avoid using a product designed for cleaning leather. It's also important to do a patch test before cleaning any fabric to make sure the colour or integrity of the fabric won't be damaged. To do this, apply your cleaning product to an area that doesn't show to see what the effect will be.

Nubuck Foam Cleaner is a solvent free pump action product, which is extremely efficient for the cleaning of general soiling and water based stains on Nubuck, brushed aniline and suede leathers. Always pre-test the product on a hidden area. This cleaner is an aerosol version of Leather Master™ Strong Cleaner.

The advantage of foam over liquid is the minimum amount of moisture, very important for cleaning absorbent materials. Clean the surface with a Leather Master™ cleaning pad, or use the foam cleaner.
    The foam created by this aerosol has the consistency of shaving cream, making it ideal for sensitive leather. Do not allow to dry as it can leave spot marks. For heavily soiled areas, or where the leather has become ingrained such as in creases in the leather, a soft brush can be used to agitate and loosen the dirt.
    These steps may be all you need to clean these surface but if it still appears stained, you can try adding a small amount of white vinegar to a soft washcloth and gently buff the surface.

Be sure to do your patch test first. For rally stubborn stains; clean the surface with 303™ Cleaner & Spot Remover (do not saturate) it removes oil, grease, ink, berry juice, wine and blood. It contains no soaps, detergents, phosphates, nitrates, caustics, toxic organics, enzymes or volatile organic chemicals (VOC)

Using a soft upholstery brush or a Rubber Suede Brush - Shoe Care Products | Replacement Shoe Laces - Shoe-String Laces Ltd, UK to raise the `nap' of the surface then apply cleaner by spraying onto a 100% cotton towel (do not saturate) allow to air dry. The surface of these leathers has no protective barrier, and as a result these leathers are very prone to soiling and staining. To protect unfinished leathers including deerskin and unfinished dyed leathers, use Leather Master™ Nubuck Protection

Methodology-
    •Shake well before use
    •Spray a small amount of the product no more than 12 inches from the leather's surface.
    •Use a sponge to work the foam into the soiled area, as it acts as a cushion, preventing too much pressure.
    •Gently wipe away excess foam, and allow to dry for 30 minutes.
    •Repeat for extremely soiled areas.
    •Once the area is clean, apply a Nubuck Protectant to prevent future soiling
    Alcantara - http://world.alcantara.com/newsite/americas/contenuti/pdf/manutenzione_alcantara.pdf

Leather Master™ Nubuck Protection (Nubuck, Alcantara®, Suede, etc)-Use on new or newly cleaned leather, spray on (but do not saturate) and let dry, it creates and maintains water repellence, resists soiling and helps protect against both water and oil based stains

Identifying characteristics- very soft to the touch will scratch or scuff very easily; water drops will darken the leather but it returns to its original colour after drying.

Products made specifically for Nubuck (Alcantara®) leather

Cleaning Pad

Cleans refreshes and revitalises Nubuck, brushed aniline and suede leather without the need for additional liquids or chemicals. At the same time it will restore the nap (surface appearance) of the leather to its' original look.

Foam Cleaner
    Cleaner is a mild solvent product, which is extremely efficient for the cleaning of general soiling and water based stains. Always pre-test the product on a hidden area.

Protection
    Helps to protect suede and Nubuck leather against stains from drinks and food, it also makes the leather easier to clean.