Anyone done an old school conversion van?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by BigDreZ28, Nov 14, 2012.

1. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

Real close family friends stumbled upon a bitchin' early 90's gmc vandura conversion van in really good shape while on vacation in California...and drove it all the way back home to Maryland. They asked me to try and polish up the outside. It is similar to this with the raised roof, but the color is green.

[​IMG]

I've pretty much ruled out using my M105 on it, however I also have in my possession:
    -Menzerna 1500
    -Menzerna 4500
    -Auto Finesse Tripple

with a GGda and a DW849x (didn't plan on using a rotary on this one though)

I'm curious as to which one of the previously listed products yal would recommend for a one step job.

I got a basic highline meter so I can at least do measurements on metal surfaces...since I'm not a pro I couldn't justify getting a deluxe paint meter due to cost.

I also wonder what steps to do to take care of the graphics it has on it...similar to these:

[​IMG]

I believe they are vinyl and not painted on...It's been awhile since I've seen the van and can't remember. If they ARE vinyl...would it be safe to spray the van with decon gel as part of the preparation process? Any type of sealant I can dress them with?

Appreciate any advice...I'll be sure to make a thread when I do work on it.

Attached Files:

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Time to detail the "bang bus'!!!!!:devil::devil:

I did a mustang once with vinyl stripes, I was concerned about it so I masked them off so that the leading edge would not be exposed to Citrus Degreaser......... something to consider.

3. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

my father had a mid 90's explorer conversion the graphics where vinyl and that top would oxidize in like 30 days was a total pita to keep up

4. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

Thanks for the tip!

5. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

You know, I've always wanted to see one of these detailed and cleaned up properly. All the ones I see are ghastly and falling apart.

6. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

this one was a true steal ...excellent condition...great interior...made the cross country trip with no problem ..they just did a basic tune up since it sat for awhile

7. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

I did hundreds of them back in the 90's and most of them had the stripes/graphics painted on. They were big but I preferred cleaning them over the Pontiac Transports, Caravans, and Safari vans of those times. ;)

8. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I did one last month for free for an elderly man who is in a wheel chair. A very nice guy made me feel great after I was done he was so happy.