Anybody hiring?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Bmer89, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

Hey guys, its getting to be that season again and I would love not to spend it at a dealership making no money and doing crap work. I want to get into a real high-end shop (or mobile). If anybody is, or knows somebody who is, looking to hire a hard worker who is passionate about detailing, let me know!

Currently I live in Spokane, WA but may be willing to move for a good opportunity. Shoot me a message and I can give you my number. Thanks!

2. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

I hear McDonald's is always hiring.

3. gthal

gthal Two Bucket System Washer

:shead:

4. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

speaking of which...
    McDonald - Ranger Burger.jpg
    is godly

5. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

Good luck, hope you find a job.

6. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Why not get your hustle on and work on your own time, set your own rules, and learn a bit about promoting yourself?

With a population of 200,000 Spokane is large enough to keep you busy but small enough to make any volume shop difficult to come by. And it's isolated so it's not likely they will travel to Seattle for a wash.

At minimum figure out what the average person will want (which contrary to what you might expect on here is probably not corrections), set your prices, stick a little sign in your driveway for a phone number so drive-bys can refer to you, share your availability on Twitter and FB and whore yourself out to friends and family.

Less work than trying to find a job, you set your own schedule, and you don't have to deal with crappy bosses and shoddy equipment and processes. Win win situation.

7. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

You can make a ton of money on simple wash/clay/waxes and interior jobs. Some people won't even care about clay. You only need a couple supplies and you'll be good to go.

8. Bmer89

That would be a great idea if I didn't have rent, utilities, insurance, phone, gas, food, etc. I can't just drop my job for a shot in the dark. I tried to get my own gig going but I could never get it to go anywhere. Getting interest and gathering clientele is pretty difficult to do working full time. That's why I'm looking to get into an established high-end shop. I would love to do my own thing but I literally live paycheck to paycheck, and any left over money is sucked up trying to keep my car on the road. I'm just going to have to rethink and find a realistic Target audience. I'm just not in a position for that, as much as I want it...

9. Bmer89

I'm set for that, just getting enough work everyday to meet my basic needs is the hard part

10. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

Honestly. Start out cheap. I know we all put hard work into detailing but a lot of ppl, depending on where you live, won't pay $200-300 for a detail. Until u get your name out there, low prices.

11. Bmer89

I'll give that a shot. Just doing cheaper wash and waxes, maybe one step polishes. See if I can get some interest. I'm just putting myself out there in case somebody is looking for what I have to offer.

12. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

would love to get some on call part time help ; )

13. True story. Thats how I did it. I was doing it from my place aand was making $400 a weekend minimum with me and my wife doing it. OP its really easy to get started especially if you start off small. I was doing inside/out car washes for $25 a pop. Wash and wax for $70. I was low balling myself but you have to what you have to do to get started.

Good Luck

14. Bmer89

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. Even if I do get some interest doing the cheap stuff, I still want to find a shop I can be on call with for bigger jobs. I love paint correction. All day behind a buffer is my idea of heaven lol.

15. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I would have been all over this if I didn't live that far away.

16. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Bmer89 --

I believe Spokane is a little over 300 miles away from Seattle, so its not like you can commute every day.. My wife was born there and went through school there (Gonzaga), and she has family, and I have a couple of cousins and an uncle there.
    I know very well where the VA hospital is because her Dad was there before he passed away.

The economy in Spokane looks flat over the 10 years we have been going over the pass to visit there. A bigger, more metropolitan city like Seattle, population over 2 million, has a lot more going, a lot more expensive cars, etc., and along the way, a higher cost of living. Land is very hard to get, and because of that very expensive. I am sure rent is higher than where you live, so you would have to factor that into your equation.

There is a big Detail Shop out here north of me, its Metropolitan Detail. They look like they do great work, have a crew of people, and I believe some people here might know some of the Metropolitan people.Their website is nice.

The only other big name place around here is Park Place Ltd., which sells all kinds of nice cars, and has a full scale Detail operation as well.

You might google these guys, get some info, and see if you want to call them up!

If you get out here, let me know, and I can maybe help you find your way around to these places I mentioned..

Im running just a one-man operation out of my garage, but between that and 3 step kids in high school and college, I am pretty darn busy - Im still trying to find a weekend free so that I can possibly get to meet Lopealle, who lives south of me a ways..

Let me know if I can do anything else to help you from here..

Dan F

17. Bmer89

Thanks, that helps a lot. I've considered moving out that way, or the Portland area just for that reason. But I'd have to have something solid set up to make a move like that. We'll see where trying to promote my business again takes me, you guys got me motivated again to give it another shot lol. But I'm still open to anyone who wants to hire!!

18. Bmer89

I wish!!!!!

19. Bmer89

Bump for being desperate lol

Ok so now I'm seriously looking for a new job because I can no longer afford to stay. I'm looking to move, preferably to the Portland area or somewhere in Oregon. But will totally consider elsewhere if the job is right! I will be calling up shops in those areas, but if anybody knows a guy or shop looking for a good detailer, I would appreciate the lead!

20. sgvevo9mr

sgvevo9mr Two Bucket System Washer

Call these guys http://metropolitandetail.com/ . Dont know it they are hiring but its worth a shot and its in the same state , 4 hours away from you.