Another Menzerna Question

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by detaildoc, Mar 22, 2008.

1. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I usually work on cars with soft clearcoats. I am afraid to use the Menzerna products for resistant clearcoats such as SIP, 106FF, and PO85RD, so instead I stick to IP, 85U and 85 MC. However, everyone praises SIP and 106ff. Would 106ff with a white or orange pad be a good choice for soft clearcoats? What about SIP, would it be too strong? I don't want to go overkill and remove more clearcoat than it is necessary. I am also considering PO85RD as a final polish. IS RD much more abrasive than the Micro Polish (MC)?

2. Dave KG

Dave KG Jedi Nuba

The Menzerna ceramiclear range is a mainstay in my detailing collection and comes out for use on nearly any paintwork, regardless of whether it is hard or soft...

The lighter cutting polishes - 106FA/FF, 85RD are perfectly fine I find on soft paints, by DA or rotary. The former will give a helathy cut n soft paints and allow you to remove moderate swirling and is my pick on for example modern Hondas (Civic, S2000). The latter makes a greay finishing polish if you have been using something more aggressive on soft paints, just something to get a little extra depth and gloss, or it makes a great correction product for light swirls and marring.

The Intensive Polish (PO85RD3.0x) I have used on soft paints before - for example on a Honda Civic Type R, and a flame red Vauxhall Astra both of which are known for soft paints (the latter is not clearcoated though). The reason I was using it was the marring and swirls were severe. But it was safe to use, removed a notable amount of paint (circa 10um with one set) so I would esnure I checked the thickness of paint prior to use and monitored it closely throughout. But exercising a little caution and it should present you with no problems in my opinion. :)

3. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Thanks, that was very helpful. How would you rate Final Polish (PO85U), Nano Polish (106ff), Micro (PO87MC) and PO85RD in terms of abrasiveness?

4. Dave KG

Dave KG Jedi Nuba

I personally find PO85U and P)106FF to be very similar in levels of cut - light to medium, capable of removing light to moderate swirls on all but the harder of paint types... on a scale of 1 - 10, I would say around 4/10.

PO85RD Final Finish is a lighter cutting polish, at about 2/10.

Cannot comment on the Micropolish I'm afraid, as I've not personally used that one.