Alternative to Wheel Brightener

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Reflect, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Any suggestions?

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Poorboys Spray and Rinse.

3. Reflect

I have a bit of that left. Is there anything more economical?

4. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

You want something as strong as wheel brightener but economical? Nothing comes to my mind.

5. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I thought WB was pretty cheap already? It's under 20 bucks a gallon right?

I mean, you aren't going to find even OTC stuff for that price.

6. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

There all kinds out there, but by the gallon I doubt you would get much cheaper than $20 a gallon. Carbrite wheel acid, AM spoke, InstaFinish spoke wheel cleaner, AutoValet Flame, ect ect ect

7. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Kyle ... you might want to ask Bill or Roger about the Ardex wheel stuff. I know there have stuff milder than Buster. I believe they sell a milder version of Buster to the general public. Ardex stuff is pretty economical, but I think you can't beat WB. You might save some money on shipping though ...

Let me know what you find out!

8. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I have a local source for Meg's stuff. they also deliver for free, so in my case it's kind of hard to beat that. but their prices are a tad higher than ADS.

9. Reflect

The main purpose was to avoid that chemical in there that many people fret over.

10. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

How bout ag clean wheels?

11. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Ardex mag oem
    smells like nobodys poo though
    its ok but I loves WB

12. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

mag oem, would be a good replacement, but its way more dangerous chemically than WB. if it were me, i would just stick with WB. with heavy wheel cleaners like these, the nature of the beast is dealing with harsh chemicals.

little tid bit for you kyle:
    phil was telling me during the meet at this shop, how to try out (for heavily soiled wheels) coating wheels with P21S wheel gel and letting dwell OVER NIGHT. then agitate or just rinse the next day. he said he inadvertently did it on a detail recently, and when they went to powerwash the wheels initially the next day, all the brake dust just washed right off. he said its completely safe to do too.

13. Reflect

I've seen this method before. Does the gel dry up at that point? I'm waiting for a BOGO on gel, we'll see haha.

14. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

Not sure as I've never let it sit that long. I would imagine it would dry up to some extent. I don't have any wheel gel to try it with though, but I'd like to get some more soon, I just have too much custom wheel cleaner lol.

15. richy

richy Guest

Nothing in my opinion beats WB for the worst cases. I also have Carbrite wheel acid but the WB is stronger. Zep purple is a cheap alternative, but not as good as WB. When you consider you're cutting it 4:1, it really is pretty economical. This from the guy who has moths fly out of his wallet when it periodically gets opened!

16. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

i might have to try the wheel gel method before I wash my truck and see if it works.