Alternative to P21s?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by D&D Auto Detailing, Dec 4, 2007.

1. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

P21s told me it could be used on wheels in good condition, but P21s Gel is a better choice.

2. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I agree

It just doesn't make sense to me that a chenical that has been deemed by the communitty as being very safe on paint would not be safe on wheels.

Also seems a bit off that a paint cleaner would be stronger than a wheel cleaner

3. Whip Appeal Neil

Whip Appeal Neil Jedi Nuba

p21s is the prime cut...but since im not really reliant on the wheel cleaner i actually just got some CW&G and diluted about 2 oz with a 16oz spray bottle of water...so far so good

i usually end up claying the wheels anyways..

the Megz hot rims ( i think in the purple bottle) is good too on stubborn wheels (for OTC product) it is verrry acidic though...

4. HAN

HAN Birth of a Detailer

supposedly Optimum is going to have a new wheel cleaner out soon, hopefully it will work as well as P21S at a lesser price.

I personally love the results with P21S, but its too much $$$ for me...

Pete

5. LanceM

LanceM DB Forum Supporter

what about s100 wheel gel. Its cheaper than p21s

6. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

I'm really curious about Optimum's upcoming wheel cleaner..

7. Grouse

Grouse DB Forum Supporter

p21s wheel gell works just as well cut 1:1 with water.

1z is reworking and bringing bulk sizes to their wheel cleaner also. I like it. It foams more than p21s so less is required per rim.

I'm probably picking up a therma king vapor steamer to aid in my wheel, trim, door jam, interior cleanings.

8. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Diluting P21s 1:1 doesnt reduce its cleaning ability?

9. Grouse

Grouse DB Forum Supporter

why would it. It's not a high alkaline product. so you are not diluting the PH much. IT is less gelly, and more foamy. I preffer the foam to the gel. don't get me wrong it still is a gel, but bubbles more.

it works fine.

10. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

i got tired of using P21S wheel gel... im diggin Meg wheel brightener... 5:1. I got a foaming spray nozzle and it's the bomb!!! I think Wolfpacker sprays something onto the rims after he cleans them to neutralize the acidic portion of the cleaner

11. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Even a pH 5.0 acid with a dilution rate of 4:1 (as recommended by Meguiar's for their Wheel Brightener (Ammonium hydrogen fluoride [NH4] [HF2]) results in a pH 4.5 solution. The dilution of an acid doesn’t make it safer as the addition of a molecule of water to a chemical compound, without forming any other products is known as hydration (i.e. dilution causes the pH to decrease)

12. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Has anyone though though of using Chemical Guys Citrus Wash-n-Gloss dilluted well (1:20 or something) of using it as a wheel cleaner? That should be pretty safe and effective or wheels that get cleaned at least once a month...Pretty cost efficient too...
    Just my $0.02...

13. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

After using Wheel Brightener, it is a good idea to re-wash the rims with car wash soap to neutralize the acid. At least this is what I heard on Autopia.

FWIW I use this approach and have had no problems.

14. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have a couple questions.

What is in the MULTI PIECE version of hot rims and is is acidic or basic?? Searching for the MSDS on it only came up with the ALL WHEEL version

Is it safe to let dwell and work

The reason I ask is i picked it up for 2 bucks and was curious of where to place it in my arsenal

Though im probably gonna pick up a sample size of Wheel brightener for the really bad stuff

15. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Haven't used Multi Piece but I've used all wheel...it does have a strong smell, but the stuff works. I noticed it made the brake rotors rust...so it's on the acidic side then. I'm sure it's not as acidic as wheel brightener..

16. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

Here is a little cleaner I made last Summer...as some know I do a friends dump trucks twice a year..and he keeps them pristene...

I had to think of a cleaner for the fuel tanks..they just had diesal residue on them...but the tanks are aluminum....so I did a little research...

I bought a gallon of this Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner - More Info now this is safe for aluminum...since its for aircraft...

I got a 32oz spray bottle I used a 1-5 ratio mix..I added 2 oz of cheap car soap and mixed it....I have a foamer spray head for the bottle..

now I used the car soap to increase the foam ability....

I sprayed the tanks..it came out very foamy and clingy...I left it and did the other tank..by the time I was done with the second tank the first one was showing brown foam from cutting the fuel residue..I sprayed it off..the tank was 98% clean and no spotting or etching on the aluminum ...

I did his wheels next which are aluminum also..came super clean...so I was happy with the mix...

Now..i have done many wheels after this and have been very happy..they come out spotless..and the mix clings like a gel ...you see it instantly starts cleaning as the foam discolors from it lifting break dust and whatever is on the wheels....

Now I am not a fan of SG by any means...but this version is different From the green stuff ..it is a aircraft made product and safe for paint and metals...

but the trick is to use a foamer spray head and some soap to make a clinging type foam gel...this stuff cleans wheels like crazy and never harmed the finish..just eats brake dust and cleans aluminum wheels....also works great on wheel wells and lower body panels...

total coat of the mix for a 32oz bottle..around 2.00....

Al

17. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

As a result of this post I am ordering some of this cleaner by the end of the day..

Thanks for the info Mr "Mad Scientist" sounds like a winner!!

18. Dandrop

Dandrop Any Rag Vehicle Washer

AL,

Thanks for the Extreme Simple Green concoction. I might have to try it. Are the Extreme SG available at home depot/lowes/hardware stores?

I usually use eagle one all wheel cleaners. They are good but it seems like i always run out of them and i need an alternative that i can make for cheap.

19. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

I got mine at Carquest I believe..they had to order from the warehouse..got next day...but try any parts store that carries it....maybe a local airport..janitorial supply..or even call SG and see who may have it in your area.....

AL

20. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

good tip AL, mixing the cleaner with a soap to make it foamy and clingy sounds like a great idea. Im gonna give this a shot with some different cleaners I have...

got a link to the foamer sprayer your speaking of?