AG Custom Wheel Cleaner

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Rcrew, Jan 3, 2011.

1. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

We will be modifying shipping costs as guys are buying two and three 5L at a time so the shipping is considerable. I'd like to keep the $8 flat rate with a premium on gallons but we'll see. Either way, it'll be comparable to shipping rates offered by other online stores for heavier items so everyones on the same page.

2. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

I have used the Sonax for about three months now and i've always had to use a brush to get the rims really clean.

I have the ag in stock now and i'm going to try it and see how it stacks up against the Sonax this week.. I'll post my finding soon.

3. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

I have used the Sonax for about three months now and i've always had to use a brush to get the rims really clean.

I have the ag in stock now and i'm going to try it and see how it stacks up against the Sonax this week.. I'll post my finding soon.

4. Eleotay

Eleotay Virgin Detailer

I just did a mid 90's Mercedes E wagon and used my Sonax. Definitely great at breaking down dirt and brake dust, my only gripe was that I couldn't remove tar spots even with agitation from a Swisswax wheel brush and others. Maybe I didn't let it dwell long enough, but I was seriously debating picking up some Megs Wheel Brightener to tackle those tar spots. Maybe CWC could be a good alternative to an acid cleaner or a follow up to the Sonax. Thoughts?

5. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

Please do. I can't wait to hear back from you regarding this.

6. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

to be honest ive never seen or used a wheel cleaner that will tackle any kind of tar spots. even acid cleaners. you're going to need some sort of solvent for that, like tardis, stoners tarminator, or 3M adhesive remover.

custom wheel cleaner is simply a great all around wheel and tire cleaner, but nothing really is a "good" alternative to an acid based cleaner. its one of those things where if the wheels are so bad that you need to use an acid, well, then you need to use an acid. this has at least been my experience. neither custom wheel cleaner or sonax can or will do what an acid based cleaner will do on SERIOUSLY dirty wheels. and by seriously dirty i mean baked on brake dust.

7. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Doesn't CWC have a highly alkaline pH? It seems logical that both high acid and alkaline pH wheel cleaners would be equally aggressive. Maybe CWC is less towards the alkaline end than Wheel Bright is towards the acid end?

At any rate, I am going to pick up a bottle of CWC as well as Megs WB to be prepared for all situations. The Subaru I did most recently had some seriously baked on brake dust staining that Sonax didn't touch.

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

The ph of AG CWC is 12. I have a digital trimeter so I test all the wheel cleaners etc that we have. I'm not sure as to what all the fuss is over alkaline cleaners. I have used them on EVERY type of wheel other than anodized like Volk Racing wheels without issue. Most of the cleaners today including Optimum Power Clean are alkaline. If you are working on factory or aftermarket clear coated wheels ( which are probably over 99% of the wheels we work on ) alkaline cleaners are safe. I have an acid here that is 1.5. Now THATS nasty!

9. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

That trimeter you have sounds like a cool device, thanks for confirming that CWC is a 12.
    Any ideas where Megs Wheel Bright sits?

Did a bit of research and jogged my memory from school, here are some pH basics for anybody who is interested: The pH scale is from 0-14, a 0 would be battery acid (highly acid of course), a 7 would be pure water (neutral), and a 14 (highly alkaline) would be draino. Also, the difference in concentration between each value is logarithmic, so a 4 is 10x more acidic than a 5, and 100x more than a 6. So your acid w/ value of 1.5 is much more concentrated and aggressive than CWC with a 12.

I would be curious to know if equally strong acid and alkaline substances have similar or different levels of effectiveness at cleaning various metals.

10. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Autoglym pH: 13.4

Meg's WB: 5.5

Those numbers are from the MSDS from both manufacturers.