Adding ONR to your wash

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by detaildoc, Mar 10, 2009.

1. dervdave

dervdave Virgin Detailer

Your money will not be wasted with ONR, its a fantastic product.

Use it with your existing shampoo until you get the confidence to ONR wash alone

2. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I do a lot of ONR washes and really like it.

3. dervdave

dervdave Virgin Detailer

Apologies I must`ve misunderstood your post :-

`I tried it last weekend and it resulted in a significant decrease in suds, which I did not like and just made me a little nervous`

I thought you must be new to ONR to be nervous about using it :shead:

4. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

Nice I'm gonna try this.

5. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

No problem. I've been doing ONR washes for a while now, but I had not tried adding ONR to conventional shampoo washes until last weekend. I think from now on I will continue to add it, even if it decreases suds since it definitely increases lubricity, which is more important.

6. Anthony

Anthony Birth of a Detailer

If you want something very slick then try washing with an oil.....yea I know oil and water don't mix, but that's the whole idea. Add some coconut oil, peanut oil or olive oil to your wash mixture, whether it be water and soap or water, soap and ONR.

Be careful though as not only will it make your mitt glide with super ease over your paint but it may make the concrete around your car slippery.

I had experimented with using these types of oils (and others) some years ago (coconut oil seemed to work best) to the point where I placed the oil in spray bottles and sprayed a panel and then washed it, added various amounts to the wash water, added it to a second bucket for rinsing, etc. I really liked how it worked BUT it can be rather time consuming because using too much and you have rinse issues.

Go ahead an experiment though and see how it works for you.....it sure smells great:thumb: Many of these oils can be found at your better health food type stores.

Anthony

7. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Wow, i would have never thought about something like this..sounds very interesting

8. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Oil in your wash? Hmmm! Never heard of that before. I would imagine it could get really messy and like you said, difficult to rinse. How does it leave the finish?

9. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I wonder how 1Z Einszett Perls Shampoo + ONR would be?

10. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Won't the oil have a buffer effect on the surfactant negating it's advantage?

11. dervdave

dervdave Virgin Detailer

2 ONR : 1 Perls work great, obviously still low suds, excellent finish

12. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Would you say 1z Perls has better lubricity than Optimum Car Shampoo?

13. Bunky

Bunky Guest

1z Perls seems to be the balance of ONR and traditional soap. It is low suds, synthetic cleaning, easy drying (no much rinsing), and added shine. It is just seems pricier than either option: ONR vs traditional soap.

14. Anthony

Anthony Birth of a Detailer

If the oils or oils used are in too strong of a dilution yes....as I had found out it would rinse in an
    ineffective manner.

If you add just a splash or two it will be OK, it will wash just fine (in reply to TOWGT's question) and also rinse off just fine.

There is a soap, I think made by Zymol or Pinnacle, that I used some years ago which claimed to have banana and coconut oils in it. It was at this time that I started to mix in various oils into my soap mixture to see how it would work.....they called us "mixologists" back then because we were mixing all types of products together and/or adding other things to polishes, cleaners, etc.

Anthony