Adams Clay. Purple vs Gray.

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by reefer_bob, Jan 6, 2008.

1. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

I have both the Gray and Purple Adams Clay.

I really like the gray clay, but I got some purple just cause.

Well, I used the purple tonight, and while it did a good job, it was really hard to work with.

I tried warming it up (The clay was about 45 deg), but it just never came around to being nice and pliable. It kept cracking and sloughing off.

I'll give it one more shot after it's nice and warm, but I'm thinking the Gray is the way to go.

2. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I have CG Purple clay, its SOOO aggressive. I have never seen clay marr so much, its almost like sandpaper.

I dont think I will use it again. The way I use clay (except ricardo :) ) is I have a bucket of hot water and keep the clay in 3 pieces in the water.

When Im done using the clay, I throw it in the bucket and grab another hot clay. When all 3 are used I knead the clay in the hot water and they stay soft!

3. reefer_bob

I will have to try the hot water technique with this purple clay I have.

4. OrngeZ

OrngeZ Birth of a Detailer

just know that the purple clay WILL marr the hell out of your paint like FMINUS stated...its definitely not a clay you should use if you dont plan on polishing afterward...other than heavy overspray removal it is really not a clay you need to use on 99 percent of cars out there...

5. Nica

Nica Banned

That's a good tip there FMINUS, but I'd be careful with it because Ricardo is really sensitive if kept under water for too long....not sure what it is but I've did something similar to what you do with the worm water to keep the Ricardo nice and soft and mine deteriorate and well pretty much decintigraged by the next day...when I was done with the clay it was still in good shape and put it back on the plastic box and the next day it was goo, it was sticking to my fingers and well it was garbage :confused: not sure what it was but this happened to me once...I don't know what caused it but I’m assuming it was the water, could have been a bad clay bar :confused: but just thought I'd share that's all.

6. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

adam's purple is terrible

never tried grey...is it more pliable? adams states purple is softer than grey tho?

7. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

When I did my Allroad last week, I used some Adam's purple clay. Yes, while supposedly softer than their grey clay, I did notice some micro-marring from it, especially on my hood. And, it was hard to work with. I didn't use the grey clay because the Allroad wasn't that bad, and the purple is supposed to be less agressive. For whatever reason, it seems to be opposite of it's description.

8. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

great tip I was using hot water in a smaller container the bucket makes more sense. yes the ricardo /old yellow clay bars are amazing!!!!!!!!

9. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

I actually like the purple better but that's strange I'm getting the reverse results, gray more marring purple less....

10. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

Adam's yellow clay was the best. I hate they don't have it anymore.

11. reefer_bob

I have to give the purple one more chance under warmer conditions... actually I need to go get it out of the garage cause I'm gonna do a little something today!!

12. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

They Ricardo bars are so soft I who needs them to be softer!? :joint:

13. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

CG has 2 grey clays, so we may be talking about different ones. Ones from Japan the other is not. I just cant remember which one is which!

14. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

If you don't mine find out which one is from Japan....

15. Whip Appeal Neil

Whip Appeal Neil Jedi Nuba

i know rite!

man i used to stock up on that ...10 bars at a time...i have 1 left and it looks like its almost DONE!

however..i havent tried the purple clay from adams, but i due have a purple clay that gives the same results (aggressive) - i rarely use it, maybe on cars that are like reallllly terrible..sometimes ill use it on the rocker panels

...as far as grey, i havent used theirs either, but i heard its probably similar to the blue that other companies sell (soft)