A few tips for using Sonax wheel cleaner

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by dsms, Aug 27, 2010.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Yea its pretty terrible smelling... its a testament to how well it works because people wont stop using it :afro:

2. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

true. its nice toknow they are going to change it over to a lemon sent.. great wheel cleaner by the way ..

3. hoppy6698

hoppy6698 Birth of a Detailer

I have used Sonax and Brown Royal. I would say the difference is minimal, very. However, Brown Royal is only $15/gal and can be cut for weekly wheel cleanings vs. deep cleaning at full strength, can be used on tires as a cleaner, and used in the engine bay (cut 3:1 I believe).

Right now I am running Brown Royal at 2:1 or 3:1 depending on build up of dust/dirt, etc.

Reminder - both are safe, but can remove protectants, sealants from wheels.

4. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

great post Dave!

5. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Agree on all points and having used this product extensively over the past 4 years I have yet to find a better wheel cleaner!

Regarding the dwell time. In my experience you can leave it as long as you like providing it doesn't dry out. I have doused some really bad wheels with this product and left them for over 20 minutes in some instances without any negative effects. As always your situation may be different and like all products I would recommend you test a small section prior to covering your entire wheels.

Another odd effect the Sonax can have is some spotting on certain types of unpainted brake calipers. I have not had this happen to myself, but 2 other local users have reported this having happened to them after using the Sonax. As above excercise caution when using the product for the 1st time and you shoule be fine.

Dave the 'excessive' rust on th rotors is because the Sonax, much like Iron Cut, works by dissolving sintered metal particles. During this process I think it eats away a tiny layer of surface metal and loose particles from the brake discs which when rinsed, expose fresh metal which starts to rust slightly :thumb:

6. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Great info Dave, thank you brotha :thumb:

7. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I just used a small sample I got (Thanks, Kyle) and was thoroughly impressed. The stuff smells like a damn perm though.

8. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

The only problem I have with the Sonax Wheel cleaner as well as the red P21S Power Gel, is that it - as stated - leaves the rotors looking quite ugly. Of course, the steel will rust, but not to the extent which these products make them do.

They're great products, but I could easily find myself removing the wheels for this reason. But then again. That's probably just me.

All-round I find the 'original' P21S/R222 Gel a better suited product for delicate wheels/brake setups.

Kind regards,

Ebbe

9. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Just roll the car back and fourth and use the brakes to remove the excess rust before moving onto the next part of the detail.

10. GS4_Fiend

GS4_Fiend Virgin Detailer

Seriously... Still stuff is great but the smell. Dang! It's HORRIBLE! It stunk up my whole garage. They should have thought about this wayyy long ago to kill them smell. :meditation:

Anyone tried using this on muffler tips? Would it make the tips rust on the inside?

11. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

Good to hear, mine is almost finish and I can't wait to stop using it ... I can't stand the hair dye smell anymore ewww

12. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

- Which is what I've done so far. But it's not the rust on the on the contact surfaces, but everywhere else which bothers me.

Kind regards,

Ebbe