4 Wheel cleaner comparison

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Nifty, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Nifty

Nifty Virgin Detailer

Through Phil over the last several orders, I have bought and tried out four wheel cleaners. I though the following would help anyone make a decision. I plan to post picture comparisons the next time I do a full wash. For the record, I wash my car in some fashion about every 5 days. I pull my wheels every other month and get both inside and out. I put about 300 miles a week on my car, a lot of stop and go traffic. It's a Porsche and generates a lot of brake dust.

Sonax Full Effect
    Sprayer - Weak. I don't know what it is, but the sprayer doesn't "spray" the product on. Some bottles spray a more direct stream than others.
    Scent - Strong but doesn't remain with the car.
    Effectiveness - On a scale of 1..10, I give this an 7. I say this because with the weak sprayer, you have to use quite a bit to disperse evenly, then some agitation is required.

Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus
    Sprayer - Excellent, will produce a spray mist! I will say this is a welcome improvement!
    Scent - Medium, not as strong as Sonax FE.
    Effectiveness - On a scale of 1..10, I give this a solid 10. This is the benchmark now. It is the first time I sprayed on, then rinsed a wheel clean with a regular garden hose. With each of the other products, some agitation is always required. Tonight, I sprayed all four wheels and rinsed. Totally clean - rotors and calipers too.

Adams Deep Wheel Cleaner
    Sprayer - Excellent. Can use spray or stream.
    Scent - Strong but not unpleasant. A little perfume'y. One note, this scent seems to remain for some time. I can smell it in the garage the next day as I keep my car garaged.
    Effectiveness - On a scale of 1..10, I give this a 6. As long as you combine the use with agitation, it cleans well. You have to use quite a bit though and the scent just doesn't do it for me. Doesn't seem as potent if the wheels are wet. I have used two applications and still found enough "dirt" bleeding from places on the second.

Einszett Colourtech Wheel Cleaner
    Sprayer - Excellent.
    Scent - Strong but not lingering.
    Effectiveness - On a scale of 1..10, I give this a 8. Each time I used this it was a surprise. I honestly think this cleans a little better than Sonax FE, perhaps because it is dispersed equally out of its bottle and I didn't feel like I had to use a lot.

Any of the four products you can't really go wrong with as long as you incorporate brushes or woollies at the same time. It would probably come down to budget in the end. Sonax Plus is the highest price but does clean better right out of the bottle. Im thinking I wouldn't need to use a lot. The sprayer is wonderful, and the smell not as strong as Sonax FE.

2. ricky bobby

ricky bobby New Member

Great comparison, that is my complaint with the Full Effect is the spray bottle does not produce a mist.

I love the 1Z bottles the best but have not bought Colourtec to try yet, if 1Z sells 5 liter refills I would consider it on my next order. However, at $80 for a gallon refill the Adam's wheel cleaner is pretty affordable, less with a coupon obviously.

I only can do about 3 cars with a bottle of FE or DWC, which is ok since I only use it about every 2-3 months, just soapy woolies and brushes in between for maintenance washes. So whatever cleaner I like I am going to stick with and just refill from a gallon/5 liter bottle.

3. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

I have experienced the same issues with the sprayer on the Full Effect.
    I have a box of it at home and the bottle that I am using right now was spraying nicely and now dribbles it out at what can only be considered spitting.

4. ricky bobby

ricky bobby New Member

I actually think Colourtec is my new wheel cleaner. $80 for 5 liter refill I was just looking at the 1Z website, more quantity than the gallon refill of Adam's for the same price.

5. The Driver

The Driver Birth of a Detailer

I just picked up the 25 liter of sonax wheel cleaner plus. VERY impressed with the results.

6. MGEVOX

MGEVOX New Member

Yes the sprayer was definitely my only complaint with FE. I will have to try Plus in the near future.

7. zerix

zerix New Member

Just got my 65lbs worth of wheel cleaner today, lets hope I don't have to worry about buying anymore for the distant future!