3m vs. Menzerna

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Alan, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Alan

Alan Virgin Detailer

I'm looking for a reasonably priced alternative to Menzerna. Because Im a new [and young] detailer, I'm trying to cut cost, and I've heard rave reviews on 3m Car care products. What are your reviews of 3m as compared to Menzerna? Or if anyone has other Polish recommendations for a polish line?

2. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

I like the 3M extra cut compound via rotary and also the Ultrafina. Both are about $35 a quart so they are not cheap either.

3. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

where do we get the 3m Perfect-it III line here in the US? Is there some sold in canada?

4. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

I have the 3m Perfect it 3000 Swirl remover.. it works great...very versatile product...can be use with compound foam pad and it removed the swirl..and when used on polishing pad, brings out swirl and gloss..can't wait for spring to try some more 3m products.

5. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Not that I have tried nor researched them as I feel Menzerna is top notch and worth the money BUT isn't Blackfire the same/comparable formula as Menzerna offerings?

I have also read that people that are looking for a cost effective Menzerna alternative have tried 1z polish and been somewhat satisfied..

Are you polishing your cars or for profit?? If doing customer cars Menzerna will pay for itself (at least it had for me)... And the incredible finish achieved will have you asking yourself "do I really need an lsp"..lol

6. Nica

Nica Banned

I've tried 3M products, well some not a bunch and I'm quite pleased with them. Depending what 3M products you go with you could find your self thinking it's just like Menzerna, one thing about 3M is that they have a long working time....but I still like Menzerna and I agree with MotorCity Menzerna is well worth the price and it will pay for it's self...just my :2cents:

7. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Menzerna PO106FF and SIP might be expensive, but are well worth it.

8. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

If budget is a concern you need to do what MotorCity and I did. Team up with another member and buy 32oz. and split the cost and product. 16oz of Menzerna will last you a while and you are getting the same cost per ounce as you would if you bought a bigger size. Heck if you can find others to go in with you you could save even more by buying a gallon. I haven't tried the 3M line but man I find it hard for other polishes to beat Menzerna.

9. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

try it, you will be surprised.

10. PERFECTION

PERFECTION Birth of a Detailer

I use all 3m products and buy them in gallons. Any bodyshop supply company in the phone book will carry it even in Canada. Shop them to and also let them know that you are running a detail shop so they will give you better pricing.

11. FuelTuner

FuelTuner Birth of a Detailer

I acually did a comparision today of 106ff and 3M Extra cut compound.
    I think they both perform very very well.. 106 has a longer lubricity factor though, and has a much finer abrasive in it, therefore you can use it with anything from Compiounding wool to a soft finishing foam.
    It also wipes off panels ALOT easier if you sling it, and it washes out of pads very easy. The only thing about the 3M that you have to watch out for is if it splatters and dries, good luck getting it off..

12. Alan

Alan Virgin Detailer

Well, as much as I love Menzerna, I dont have a lot of money for supplies. Me and my dad figured it out last night. I go to high school, so I can only work sat and sun. Rent for a building, utilities all cost a few hundred a much, and I'm just looking for a comewhat cheaper alternative to Menzerna. I cant afford to spend 150 dollars on a gallon of polish.

I want to greatly increase my profit, and around my area, we dont get many high-end cars as compared to the "regular" toyotas and hondas. I do have 1L of each of the polishes, which will last me a long time. I dont plan on using Menzerna on every car, and I need a product that effectively works scratches out of paint, at a more reasonable cost.

Are there any places where I could buy Menzerna at a wholesale price? I do legally own my detailing company "Premier Detailing LLC" I'm also pretty sure my uncle can get 3M products at wholesale for me, which is why i ask for the comparison.

13. Nica

Nica Banned

If money is tight Alan have you thought of Optimum, it's an okay like if you ask me...well it will get the job done. I personaly didn't think it had that much corection power but they do get the job done and that's what matters.

I can't remember how much the Presta line is aswell but it's also good, I know richy uses it quite a bit along with other members here...but I cant remember how much it costs.

Well just my :2cents: that's all.

14. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

you could also look into hi temps line...they do have a few good polishes.....and the price is right.... Welcome to Hi Temp Products Co.

I use alot of the 3M polishes along with menzerna..and 3M performs well...

also evercoat is another good product....sorta like Presta....I had a sample of evercoat micro synthetic compound...and it worked well....and easy clean up....and they are not expensive...

Al

15. Alan

Alan Virgin Detailer

Well, money isnt super tight, as my dads helping me start out, it's just I want to make a deent amount of money. I could afford to buy Menzerna, but I'm looking for a product that will correct the paint, and direct more money into my wallet. I'm looking for something Menzerna, or slightly less than menzerna quality.

I will not sacrifice correcting power for cost. I want something that will correct properly, to use on everyday vehicles. I appriciate the help everyone.

16. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

Skip eating lunch out and save the money for Menzerna. If you want to save money, do it on LSPs. Everything is all about prep work.

17. 1f1fan

1f1fan Birth of a Detailer

Not a pro but here is my .02

Everything changes when you start detailing for a profit...

IMHO a good detailer needs an arsenal of products that will accomplish their goal. I understand Menzerna may be a bit pricey to have as your go-to polish however, you may need a small amount around if nothing else is working on a particular vehicle.

Figuring out what products to use is a big process, get something economical, effective and something you are comfortable using as your go-to polish and keep some of the specialty, more expensive products around in smaller quantities. If you find yourself reaching for the Menz more often, you may need to adjust your prices accordingly.

Also keep in mind what is available quickly, the quality of customer service and discounts you get from the vendors that carry these products.

Good luck man!

18. vrwm

vrwm Jedi Nuba

You could go the Meguiars route. They make some good polish. It was a go to polish for many people before Menzerna.

19. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

Plus the 'average joe' likes to hear a nice brand name of product... If you advertise that you use Meguiars products, it's lible to bring in some more buisness.

As for your high end customers, you may have to out and find them.

Another option might be to tier your services. 10% more for premium products or something...

20. Alan

Alan Virgin Detailer

Would meguiars professional line be worth a try then?

Reefer_bob, thats a good idea to tier prices. I have 4, 1L bottles of PO85RD, 106FF, SIP, and Power Gloss. I dotn plan on using them after I finish my moms car, other than a "go to" polish, as 1f1fan mentioned. I just need a reasonably priced line to do my "everyday" cars with.

Kind of off-topic. But as I'm polishing my mom's car, I notice an insane amount of Acid Rain marks. These have been on here for years. What are my options to remove them? They weren't removed when I used SIP or 106FF.