3M Ultrafina Vs. Menz. 85RD

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by scheerspeed, Jun 4, 2008.

1. J_Edwards

J_Edwards Any Rag Vehicle Washer

The edge with Ultrafina is simply its ease of use. Even though the finish isn't quite what you can get with the 85RD, it is such a pleasure to work with that I find myself grabbing it over the Menz almost every time.

As for its finishing abilities, you can go from 105 to UF without any issues as long as you finish down the 105 correctly. I did a SS 88 930T yesterday that finished so great with 105 I almost didn't even need UF.

2. SuperBee364

SuperBee364 Birth of a Detailer

That's been my experience, too, Fluxy. UF will clean up after compounding just as well as 106, but finishes out just a bit better. 85RD, OTOH, has no game at all for cleaning up after compounding, but is a *great* gloss polish. Just general rules, of course. On softer paints, 85RD can do some clean up, but not much.

3. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Just be careful with 106. Do your wipe downs.

4. SuperBee364

Oh, yeah, very good point. 106 and 85rd really like to conceal stuff.

5. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Glad to see you decided to quit lurking. ;)

6. SuperBee364

You just never know when I'll show up out of the wood work. :) I've been lurking on and off since the board started last summer, but I figured I was enough of a loud mouth on Autopia that I wouldn't bother you guys here. :)

7. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Your posts are well thought out and very helpful. I doubt anyone would be bothered by you here.

:applause2:

8. SuperBee364

Thanks, man, I'll try not to be *too* obnoxious. ;)

9. D&D Auto Detailing

Glad to see you here Super.

10. distrbd

distrbd New Member

I agree with mindflux ,glad you have finally joined us here.

11. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

85RD because of it's extra gloss

106 and 85RD don't conceal anything as long as you work them properly

I always do a prepsol wipedown just to make sure and the result is perfection
    Sometimes adding some parrafin oil to the pad guarantee's no holograms

Finally, what do people think of using 85RD with a red Lake country pad (after using 85RD with a blue pad and 106FF before that with a black)

12. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

In this thread, I used 085 and Ultrafina on the trunk. I had first polished with SIP and a green 5.5" green pad on the entire car.

I first did 085 with a blue ccs pad on approx half of the trunk. I backed the car out into the sun and besides for some slight holograms from the SIP side, I could not tell much of a difference. Gloss and apprearance in the sun and the shade where very close.

I then did the other part of the trunk with ultrafina and a clean blue CCS pad. Again in the sun and shade I could not tell a difference from 085 to UF.

Was this due to the results I had got with SIP? :shrug:

085 will get put away and kept for the occasion that UF does not work.

13. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

I'm curious what the veterans have to say about this. My understanding was that there was only a modicum of difference between the red and blue CCS pads. As such, I've purchased the different colors really for use as color coding; red for sealant X, blue for sealant Y. Anyone privy to the PPI specs on the two?

How much more jewelling and glossing can 85RD with a red pad accomplish over 85RD with a blue pad and could the human eye really discern the difference?

14. Todd

Todd Banned

So can UF, trust me.... UF just conceals a little longer :(

Both polishes should only be used to remove light hologramming or when the paint is as close to perfect as possible. Expecting more from them is playing with fire, so to speak.

15. D&D Auto Detailing

Dont want to get off topic, but I agree 100%. All of these polishes (106FF, 85rd, UF) should only be used when the paint is as close to LSP ready as possible.

16. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

Correct. UF definately fills

17. Todd

Todd Banned

slight correction:

Correct. UF definately has the potenital to fill like a mother f.cker!

18. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

Matt, I have been trying to get in contact with you. Give me your email, I have some things that I would like to ask you.

19. Usjdmtuner

Usjdmtuner Wax on..Wax off

i get better result with 85rd and i believe that it also removes minor swirls left from heavy polishing and it gives the best result... I dont have any preference on which to use but UF never gave me problem just the polish slings once in a while with high rpm...

20. HPIA4v2

HPIA4v2 Birth of a Detailer

Just an observation.
    If both is comparable, PO85rd is around $40 while Ultrafina SE is $50. Also some online gives out 10-15% on Menz (haven't found Ultrafina online that gives out discount).
    So I'll probably stick with Menz.