3M Professional Undercoating *Pics*

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Handz, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

Problem: My rear fenders Were not black anymore because i cleaned all the dirt off and Now it was Red.

Solution: 3M Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating

After asking alot of people and getting good responses from DetailingBliss, I decided to use the 3M Rubberized Undercoating. I was gonna use the Dupli-Color undercoating but said No Way after i messing with the sprayer in the store. I didnt like the way it looked.

Process:: Took out the Pressure Washer and cleaned the fenders. Used some CG Orange Degreaser Straight and a stiff bristle brush to get everything off. I got as much of the old black off as I could, and then sprayed the fenders.

I Used plastic sheeting and trash bags to cover everything from overspray. I also taped the edge of the fender.

This stuff goes on nice if you spray from a good distance. I like how it blasted the product on with pressure. It was a little windy outside, but no overspray because the pressure in the can put the coating where it needed to be. It took 2 cans to do bother fenders with 2 coats per fender.

Results: AMAZING!!! This is just the OEM look i was craving. I knew the 3M would give that OEM clean look. I noticed in pictures of the permatex, Rustoleum, and duplicolor undercoatings looked shiny.... This stuff looked perfect OEM clean. Matt but not dull.

See For Yourself!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for a Beer!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AFTER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

nice. looks great! how easy was the application? what was the dry time?

3. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

The Application was easy. I like how it sprayed with alot of pressure.

Its been 2 hours and its still now completely dry. Gonna wait another hour then drive a little. Its dry, but still a tad soft after these 2 hours.

4. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Looks factory, nice job. It's cool to see something different once in a while.

5. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Great job.Came out really nice !!!!!

6. RNickolas

RNickolas Obsessive Detailer

great job! Now just gotta repaint those calipers and your underbody is set!

7. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Jedi Nuba

Nice job. I think I might do that. My rear fender wells are silver and it kind of annoys me. I always thought that black would look cleaner

8. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Very Nice!!!! Thanks for posting :headbang:

9. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

I actually just painted them a few weeks ago. They just look dirty in the pics because for some reason cars get dirty when you work on them.

I also covered the calipers when i washed down the fenderwells.

10. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Looks good man! Maybe slightly dilute whatever cleaners you're using for the undercarriage and scrub a little softer, kinda makes me wonder if it slowly rubs off everytime I clean it. Let us know how it holds up :)

11. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

Little ironic, as i used some myself a couple days ago. I like the the fact that the spray was consistent and when you're done, you're done, no residual amount left in the can that you're trying to use up. Nozzle really doesn't clog like others. Advanced Auto had it on sale, 2 for 15 bucks also.

12. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

BTW, any more pix you are willing to post of your horse?

13. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Very nice job on those wells! I like it very much!

14. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

Sure Thing :thumb:

..... As Requested :whistle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. dankfanatic

dankfanatic Guest

wow great job on those fenders Greg!

where'd you pick up the coating?

16. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

I got it @ Autozone in La Mirada. I bought the only 2 cans they had.

17. Peco

Peco Virgin Detailer

The 3M stuff is great!! I did my "Winter Beater" 02 Blazer ZR2 with 3M last summer, and it turned out great and still looks great after a long slushy, icy winter. I did the wheel wells along with the frame rail because on SUV the rails are visible and the factory coat was chipped and looking rust. Every now and then I will pressure wash everything and spray some tie wet on the undercoat, gives it a semi gloss look to it. Good job and sorry for the rant.

18. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

UPDATE - So its been a full 24 hours and the stuff has dried very nice. I washed the car today and some water got on the coating. It kinda beaded on the coating and i was able to dry it off with compressed air.

19. corvus.corax

corvus.corax Virgin Detailer

Great job, I like it.

Maybe it's a stupid question, but you tried with some solvent and then dressing? Because I had a similar problem in my red eclipse, the previous owner painted the calipers in red but he sprayed some parts under the fender. So I use acetone for taking off the paint and imediately after CG barebones for dressing and I think it looks ok (semi-matte black) but I don't know if that was a correct procedure...

20. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Nice job Greg! Based on your experience/recommendations so far, I recommended this to my client today since his 1967 Volvo 1800S doesn't have it anymore :)