3M Perfect it III backing Plate

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Danny, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Are these backing plates durable? How much use can I expect if I buy one of these? Are they reliable and not prone to failure?

Please fellas! I'd like to get some input on this as I will be ordering it today or tomorrow.

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

I have had my 3m bp for 5 years no issues. best bp I have ever had.

3. Kaban

Thanks Phil!

4. detaildoc

detaildoc DB Forum Supporter

I really like the GI bp, especially with the GI pads.

5. Kaban

So I was looking around, and I noticed that this 09553 seems to have different versions of it?

Why is the thread portion of the BP different in this pic I made? Anyone know which one is the better version or why there's a difference in the first place?

[​IMG]

6. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I finally placed an order for the 3M Perfect it III 5" backing plate. I am having it imported from the UK from Elite Car Care. My Chemical Guys Evolve 4R 5" backing plate that I bought in place of the 3M due to price took the crapper on me on my last paint correction using it on the PC with my Rotary to DA adapter I got with my DD 3" backing plate. So I decided to step it up and get what the pros use cant wait to try it out, I hope the foam is more giving than the CG was, I sure it will be though :)

[​IMG]

3M Perfect It III 09553 125mm Rotary Backing Plate 5/8 | eBay

7. Kaban

Danny, you're gonna love that backing plate. I got one myself also and it's VERY nice.

8. detailersdomain

why order from the UK when we have them in stock ready to go?

9. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

morning bump

10. Kaban

I haven't tried the CG Evolve backing plate, but the 3M BP is super sweet. I showed some guys at a local bodyshop and they had no idea something like that exists. Even the bodyshop's 3M rep wanted to know more about it because he's never seen or heard of it before.

11. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I hope so I am going to need it.

Yeah my body guy hasn't even heard of the Perfect it III line either but he uses 3M compounds, polishes, and wool pads. Well I am sure I will like it:)

12. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I totally forgot you guys had it in stock. :( and I was on your site today it totally slipped my mind, because I wanted to place a third order for Cquartz, since my ride came back with swirls everywhere and some holograms (but I know the owner of the bodyshop and he has painted several panels for me in the past and they do a good job and he is cool guy, so I am not upset about having to re correct the finish) The most important thing to me is that it was fixed. I wanted to get Cquartz from you, but it doesn't seem like you have it in stock. I contacted Avi because he has told me in the past that I could purchase it from him directly. I am also considering if it costs alot to get it shipped from the UK from him, I might just go with Optimum Opti-Coat V2 but I am iffy on it since I already know how to apply Cquartz and have no knowledge applying Opti-coat. Not only that I still have around 15ML's of Cquartz left.

13. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

bump for Phil to read this.

14. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I ordered the 3M BP from DD a few years back, fantastic. Allows you to apply a good amount of pressure but also absorbs some of the rotary jerks. Smooth motion and works great with 5.5 inch pads. If there's one thing I've learned, in terms of tools, you get what you pay for. That isn't always the case with products, but tools I've found it to be a trend.

15. Kaban

I couldn't agree more.

Have you ever tried the backing plate with 6.5" pads? I might try it next time I get a chance, but 5.5" pads are killer with this BP.

16. detailersdomain

no worries just wanted to make sure everyone else knew we were well stocked on them.

17. Kaban

Phil, Do you do your correction work with 5.5" pads when you use a rotary in general?

I was wondering what kind of backing plates guys use with rotaries for 6.5" pads... I mean, a 6" bp is too big imo and there are no 5.5" rotary backing plates. So could I use a 6.5" pad with this 3m bp?

18. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Had to cancel my order with Elite car care in the UK because they informed me that it would take a month or more to get to me :(

19. detailersdomain

wow 1 month insane.

20. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru