3M packing plate VS Megs SOLO backing plate?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by DieselMDX, Mar 17, 2008.

1. DieselMDX

DieselMDX Obsessive Detailer

Ok I have a original megs backing plate on my hitachi but it is too big for my LC pads so looking for something new. Which one do you guys recomend?

thanx

2. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I've only used the 3M backing plate and it is a breeze to work with. I thought all the talk about how great a bp was was just hype, but it wasn't its the TRUTH.

3. DieselMDX

what makes it so good?

4. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

i read where the Solo BP had a few problems with the velcro..i'm not sure if its been fixed..you can view the thread at MOL...

Solo Backing plate problems ?

disregard the Megs thread..i see you already posted :thumb:

5. DieselMDX

thanx joe p

6. Nica

Nica Banned

I've got a few other backing plates as well with various sizes but the 3M backing plate hands down is the way to go. What makes it so great is the extra foam between the foam pad and the machine (rotary/DA). The extra cution makes for even pressure to be applied to the surface and the pad and best of all it's very gentle when going around edges.

Well that's just my opinion on the 3M pad, first time you use it you will totally understand why we speak so highly of it.

7. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

is there any difference between the grey foam and yellow foam..which one out the two do you like.

8. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

Do they come in 5 1/2" or 6"? and where can you get them?

9. Nica

Nica Banned

I've never used the grey backing plate my self, I've been using the yellow one. But from what FMINUS has said that the grey one is softer that's about all I know about it.

If I'm not mistaken they are 5inch size backing plates, yes they have to be because the Menzerna pads are 5inch and the 3M backing plates fits it just right.