2007 Ford Edge

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Nica, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Nica

Nica Banned

Remember that airplane that sneek and I detailed? Well the owner that airplane just purchased a brand new vehicle and I was given the honor to detailing the exterior of it. Now like I said this is a brand new vehicle and even though it’s brand new you will be shocked at the state it was in, well I was. Some people wonder why a brand new vehicle would need to be detailed, well this is proof that even brand new vehicles require a good detail.

The vehicle:

2007 Ford Edge

Here is what the vehicle looked like when it was delivered to me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see the vehicle appears to have just the regular bugs on the front and wheel wells were a bit dirty but nothing to bad in fact when I first laid my eyes on the vehicle I thought it looked good.

Well first thing I did was set up my Deionized filter system:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Deionized water ready to go

As always, I start on the rims, here are the tools I used for the rims, wheel wells and tires:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I’ve been eagerly waiting an opportunity to use my new wool brushes.

Well wheel wells received P21S Total Auto Wash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Followed by a gentle scrub

[​IMG]

Once I was satisfied with the wheel wells I moved on to the rims

[​IMG]

For the rims I used P21S Gel formula

[​IMG]
    P21S Gel formula working it’s magic

Started by agitating the inside of the rims with the new wheel wool brush

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The beauty of these brushes is that you can get in quite deep

[​IMG]
    The smaller brush is wicked

[​IMG]
    Even with the EZ brush it’s quite difficult to get in behind the caliper with the my smaller wool brush I can get in behind the calipers with no problem what’s so ever, very happy with these brushes.

Well once the inside of the rims were taken care off now comes the face of the rims. With the help of my Swissol brush I agitated the face of the rims:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the rims were taken care off I moved on to the tire. For the tire I used Amazing Roll-Off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sprayed it on and let it sit for a bit, I got in to the habit of agitating the tires with my Meguiar’s brush and well that’s exactly what I did.

[​IMG]

Here is the tire, rim and wheel well all done

[​IMG]

Now comes the rinsing with Deionized water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This process was done to all the tires, rims and wheel wells.

Once the rims were taken care off, I moved on to the rest of the vehicle. Now first I gave the vehicle a quick rinse then as it had a bit of bugs on the front I sprayed Poorboys Bug Squash diluted 1:3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let that sit for a bit. Now the vehicle definitely had something on it and I wanted to get rid of what ever was on it so I sprayed the entire vehicle with P21S Total Auto Wash.

[​IMG]

I let P21S Total Auto Wash and Poorboys Bug Squash sit for a bit wile I got my self set up wit the two bucket method.

[​IMG]

I used the two bucket method with Zymol spunge and Meguiar’s Gold Class Shampoo.

Once the entire vehicle had been washed and rinsed on to claying, I didn’t even bother drying the vehicle just proceeded to clay with my Ricardo clay bar. Now even though this vehicle is brand new it had a bunch of over spray on certain areas oh and I had to clean up the dealership prep work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During the claying I discovered something that I’ve seen before and it concerned me.

[​IMG]
    This is probably the best picture to illustrate what I found. If you look closely at the picture you will see a few dots. Like I mentioned I’ve seen these before and on that particular vehicle that I saw them on what they turned out to be was air bubbles in the paint. Now air bubbles on the paint would be a bad thing because it could easily chip the paint and a good way to have premature rust. Well the other thing that it could have caused this is that during the painting process dust could have landed on the vehicle and was locked in with the spray of the clear coat. I pointed the spots out to the owner. Owner said he would take it up to the dealership. Well areas where I found these little spots I did not polish, I didn’t want to risk the heat causing any damage to them.

Once the claying was done I gave the vehicle a quick rinse and dried the vehicle with the help of my Guzzler.

[​IMG]

Now to see what a brand new vehicles comes with. For this inspection I used my 3M Sun Gun.

[​IMG]
    Driver door

[​IMG]
    Driver fender

The entire vehicle had lots of swirls, now they didn’t look deep or severe so got my self ready to test a section.

[​IMG]
    Taped the read out along with the rest of the vehicle

Now what to use…mmmm…well I decided to try out Menzerna 106FA, Meguiar’s Finishing pad and my Metabo with the 3M backing plate at 1500rpm.

One pass and here is what the results were:
    [​IMG]

I was pleased with the results and proceeded with the polishing of the vehicle.

Here are some 50/50 shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the driver corner of hood
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    The hood was the only are that required two passes to get it just right.

Finished the polishing and the owner and I had agreed on an LSP. The owner wanted a sealant followed by a carnauba. So I looked at my arsenal and came up with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, followed with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (two coats) let it cure over night then finished off with Victoria Concourse.

Wile I let the sealant cure all exterior plastic received Black Again. The wheel wells also received Black Again.
    [​IMG]

I went back to the rims and the rims also received some Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tires received Optimum Tire Shine.

Here are the rims, tires and well wells all done:

[​IMG]

Here are the end results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was very pleased with the result of the vehicle and the owner was very pleased with the results.

As always any feed back (good or bad) is always welcome.

2. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

car looks great as ussual

i was wondering how you liked the wheel brushes, i rememeberd when you ordered them lol, but would you say they are worth it or would you say to use the ez brush?

3. Nica

Nica Banned

Calgarydetail - Thanks for the compliment buddy, as for the brushes. I personaly feel they are worth it, I still like the EZ brush but from now on this is what I'll use on my own vehicles and for rims that are in great condition. I still ike the EZ brush and I'll continue to use it but I'll use the EZ brush on rims that require it. The only draw back with the EZ brush is that you can't really get in behind the calipers....well that's the only draw back that I noticed....but I still like it.

4. Calgarydetail

cool thanks, i orded an ezbrush so it should be here in a few weeks. i was wondering if you could please tell me what site those brushed came from? i cant seam to find the old thread and dont remeber the site

Thanks

5. Nica

Nica Banned

I got them from here:
    http://www.properautocare.com/lawhclbr.html

I thought they werent available anymore though? I just checked and they are still available...mmm...good becuase I want more of them lol.

<edit> on hever mind it's the 2inch one that they do not have available. Boy these things are hard to get.

6. Calgarydetail

great thanks nica.. i think the ones not availale are the ones frm the site in the uk

7. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Nice job, I bet Jim was thrilled!

8. Nica

Nica Banned

A yes, you are correct....poor UK guys they seem to be sufering.

Oh he was very pleased, oh by the way he asked about you and told me to say hi in his behalf...so "hi" lol.

9. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Tell him I said Hi back

PM'd

10. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Very nice work Nica :D oh, the new toys I mean brushes looks sweet ;) Nice to get around the calipper. The car loos good, to bad the bubbles/sand on the paint, thats to bad on a new car! Oh, did you do two coats right after each other, or cured 12 hours?

Again, Love your work buddy!

11. Nica

Nica Banned

Thank you pirex, glad you enjoyed the detail. As for the brushes, very nice brushes I'm very pleased with them. Yea, I hear you about the imperfections on the vehicle such a shame. As for the sealent what I did is put the first coat on let it sit for a few hours wile I worked on other areas of the vehicle, before calling it a night I put another coat on top of the first coat. I did this becuase I wanted to make sure the entire vehicle was well protected and I did not miss any spots. I let it cure over night (12hrs or more) and then put a nice layer of carnauba.

12. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Ah, that was what I thought you did. Smart move there, have done that some times my self, its good to know that the whole car is covered!

13. Nica

Nica Banned

Yup, I do that just to make sure that's all. I've noticed that it's easy to miss certain areas and by giving it a second coat while the first one still on it makes a big difference. Glad I'm not the only one doing it :D