2004 Impreza WRX sti

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Nica, May 5, 2008.

1. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

That is GORGEOUS! What lens were you using?

2. Nica

Nica Banned

Thank you Jed, glad the forum apeals to your taste :peace:

As for using the paint gauges to measure the wax, I don't think the paint gauges would meassure the coat of wax, now I've never tried it but just by how the gauges measure paint/operate I can't see the gauges measureing the layer of wax.

The lenses used were my Sigma 10-20mm and for a few pictures the Cannon L lens I got, Ryan (owner of the vehicle) took most of the pictures, he's got some skills when it comes to taking pictures :thumb:

3. Jed Bouscal

Jed Bouscal Virgin Detailer

Why do you think it wouldn't work? Is the wax to thin to register? Wouldn't it be atleast .1 microns or .1 nanometers? I think it should show up. Then you can see how much wax is bonding with the paint when applied both thick and thin, and see what kind of actual difference there is, no?

4. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

I have heard (have no scientific proof, but the info did come from a relable source) that a layer of wax or sealent is .00001 of a micron, to small to registr on the paint thickness gagues on the market

5. Jed Bouscal

A ten billionth of an inch? Am I reading that right? That's crazy!

If that's the case, what's the difference between wax applied "thin" and "thick" if only that much is bonding with the paint anyway?

6. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Nice job guys looks awesome. Always had a soft spot for the subies.

Good to see you on the forum jed.

7. Nica

Nica Banned

To be honest I've never tried it, I should try it and see if I can pick up the wax with my PosiTector 6000, maybe the PosiTector 200 can pick it up as well. I'll give it a shot and see what results I get.

As to how I know when it's been applied thick or thin, well if I apply by hand I can feel how thick I'm applying the wax but with the foam applicator (which I'm not used to applying) it's hard to get a feel for how think/thick I'm applying. I'm just not sued to it that's all :shrug:

8. Jed Bouscal

Yeah Carlos I know what you mean about the feel of the wax by hand vs an applicator. It's easier to tell by hand what's going on - I suspect an applicator can apply it thinner though? What do you think?

Let me know if you can pickup the wax using the positector! If it shows up, see if you can layer it and detect the difference! My PTG is only sensitive to .1 mils so I don't know if I'd be able to pick anything up or not, but I'll give it a try!

9. Jed Bouscal

HI PAT!!

10. Rydog

Rydog Virgin Detailer

Hey everyone, just thought I'd pop on the site and say THANKS to Carlos for an awesome exterior detail. I was super impressed with the results of the wax for sure. Also, props to Jed for the work he did on the car as well. Superior work as always man.

Thanks again!!

So here's a question, I somehow managed to get some tiny little sap 'drops' on the car. I must have either parked near a tree that was dripping them or they got blown onto the car. I pretty much never purposely park under trees, so i'm guessing it must have got on the car in the wind. Back to my question, how the heck do I get it off?!?!? It's all over the hood, roof and trunk and it's driving me INSANE!

Any suggestions would be awesome.

11. Nica

Nica Banned

The lovely tree sap :thumbdown:

There are several ways you can remove sap, one is by using a clay bar and use lots of lubricant (water will do) Now the clay bar you should use is something mild you can probably get a way with Mothers clay bar or the Meguiars clay bar...you can pick those up at Canadian Tire or so, now just use lots of water or quick detailer spray other wise you could insuce micro marring on the surface...micro marring is fine scratches that direct sun light brings up.

If the clay bar dosent work then you'll probably need a chemical such as Tarminator, I don't know if you can get it at Canadian Tire though..but worth taking a look.

If you need a hand just let me know, more then happy to help you out :peace:

12. Rydog

Rydog Virgin Detailer

cool Carlos! ya i figured it would either be the cb or a solvent of some sort. what does that do to the wax tho if i use something like this Tarminator? prolly removes that too eh?

i would welcome the help for sure....you busy now? hahah! but seriously....ok i'm kidding.....sorta....hahah

13. Nica

Nica Banned

Yea, using the Tarminator would remove the wax...but no biggie, there are other waxes from my personal collection I'd love to put on the vehicle, I just love blue :headbang: :headbang:

Love to help buddy, bring the vehicle over..soon we will live closer to your place too :thumb: our house was sold and we just purchased one in the Evergreen area :cheerl: and I cant wait for that special wax I was telling about to arrive to see it on the blue :druling: :druling:

Your vehicle is going to be well protected ;)

14. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

The scooby gets some crystal rock.........

15. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh yea, it will definitely get a healthy coat of Crystal Rock but that's not the special item I was referring too :whistle: :whistle:

16. Rydog

Rydog Virgin Detailer

awesome man, congrats on the sale of the house!! that's awesome that you're going to be down in Evergreen now, that's only 5 minutes from us in Somerset! ultra cool for sure. maybe we should car pool?

I'll come and see ya tomorrow about the car dude, we'll see what we can do to get that stupid sap off the ride. and ya, can't wait for your special stash to come in, that's gonna be SICK dude.

17. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

STi <3

Great job by the previous detailer and that Divine looks NICE!

18. racersky

racersky Jedi Nuba

I was eating while reading this thread and I almost choked on a piece of orange when you mention divine was $2,500.00

19. Nica

Nica Banned

lol..yea...I used to say there is no way I'll be spend $100 on a wax...now I'm well behond the $100 price tag :crasy: But I beleave in dont knock it till you try it and I'm a curious person so I dish out the coin for such things. Best of all, the wax collection keeps growing and gets better and better every day :cheerl:

20. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

Man, I was detailing my cousin's STi the other day too. He has a lot of awful defects that I thought I could get out with some SIP. I didn't even get to a good polishing though. I was trying my Hitachi rotary on the hood and it is so curved that my polisher just hops all over it in in every single section! I don't know how you might've detailed that thing if you wanted to!