2002 Dodge 350 dually diesel manual 6-speed

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Nica, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Nica

Nica Banned

This is a good friend (co-worker) of mine’s big truck, the size was a little intimidating to me but I love a challenge. After I did my other good friend (co-worker) Mercedes SLK, this co-worker was interested on have me detail his truck. It was his birthday this weekend and so I told him I’d detail his truck.

Process:

Interior:

The interior was bad, so I got a bucket mixed with Meg’s APC and a all purpose MF towel and gave the entire inside a wipe down. Then I used Meg’s #40 on all rubber and vinyl. I like this product, goes on really good and it doesn’t leave that sticky/slick feeling in your fingers. I’ll continue to use it oh and I don’t mind the smell, it has that new smell to it.

Carpet:

I used Meg’s APC mixed with water and (I can’t remember the ratio) sprayed carpet let it set for a bit then agitated with a brush and extracted out with my shop-vac. Works great. I was going for the stripes but they didn’t come that great. I’m starting to pay more attention to the interior because it’s as important as the exterior. Well the owner was so happy with the interior that I got a hug out of it hahahaha.

Wash:

My good buddy CalgaryDetail gave me some Optimum wash (soap) to try out and it works good, not sure if I would purchase this stuff but it gets the job done. I found that I had to really mix the water with the soap quite a bit. One you have it mixed well with the water it works great and gives nice suds. So Optimum wash (soap) and black ShMITT. I like the black ShMITT, I only use this when I know I’ll be doing lots of correction to the paint and this truck needed lots of correction.

Clay:

I used the Ricardo Clay bar (Yellow clay bar). This is my go to clay and I’ll continue to use it, how ever this truck had lots and lots of tree sap stuck/baked on to it and the clay did not remove. I got some tar and bug remover and it still didn’t remove the tree sap, the tree sap really slowed me down. I got a 1:1 mix of Isopropyl and water mix and spray each one and this helped but it was a paint to remove. I’ll be purchasing a few things for tree sap removing.

Polishing:

Optimum Hyper Compund - 5inch orange Lake Country pad – rotary at 1500rpm
    Menzerna 106FF – 6inch blue Lake Country pad – rotary at 1500rpm (wicked results)
    This truck had lots of bad swirls/scratches and majoirty of the scratches I removed but some were to deep that not even wet sanding woul do, I tried.

Glaze:

XMT Carnauba Glaze, applied by hand and one coat. I like this glaze but I’m going to venture out to another glaze soon. Just to try something new.

Wax:

Souveran Paste, applied by hand and one coat. I’m still pleased with this wax and the paint looks good.

Now for the pictures (lots of pictures):

Interior before:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is what the water looked like when I gave it a wipe down inside before applying #40.

Interior After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exterior Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Majority of these scratches I managed to remove but there were deep scratches that I just couldn't remove. They didn't feel or look deep but not even wet sanding would remove them. Extra caution was taken becuase these panels were made out of fiber glass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is one pass with Optimum Hyper Compund 50/50 shot. It took two and some times three passes to get it just right. But not bad for a first pass.

[​IMG]
    Oh and this is what helps me keep my products oraganized instead of having them all over the garage.

After (it was getting late and we had clouds on so no sun pictures):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is how the roof turned out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay that's it no more pictures . I really enjoyed my self detailing this vehicle. I took my time about 18hrs. Started Friday and finished it on Saturday.

The owner was so happy with the results I even got a hug :D. I told the owner it was his birtday gift .

Must admit, this truck was a challenge but I was very impressed with the results.

I enjoyed my self, if there is any feed back/tips/complaints/suggestions please feel free to share.

2. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

great job!! wow that interior was nasty

3. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

man that is one big truck, it loks good though. Very nice work

4. Nica

Nica Banned

Thank you for the compliment, the interior was bad but it sure made the turn around well worth it :D

You know usually I enjoy doing trucks but this truck was wicked, so much surface to polish had lots of fun detailing this bad boy. My friend was speachless with the results :D that's all that matters. Thank you for the compliment buddy.

5. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Dayum that truck was swirled up and the interior looked horrible :p. You did a great turnaround on it! I wonder how it's like driving a 6 speed diesel truck..

6. Nica

Nica Banned

The vehicle was in poor conditions but it turned out great. Oh driving this truck is lots of fun, so much power at your disposal ;)

Thanks for the compliment buddy.

7. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Man I bet, so much power :p I just realized diesels were pretty damn powerful engines coupled with turbo.