2 3m backing plates for sale!!

Discussion in 'Sale, Trades, or Bargains' started by FMINUS, Dec 27, 2007.

1. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

yes sir in gray.

2. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

whats the difference between the gray and yellow BP besides the obvious color?

3. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

bump for question

4. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

The gray pad is softer.

5. detailersdomain

yes the gray is softer.

6. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Yellow is for polishing/compounding
    Grey is for finishing

7. DieselMDX

DieselMDX Obsessive Detailer

so then the yellow is the better pad for all applications?

8. holden_caulfield04

holden_caulfield04 Virgin Detailer

9. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

It is like a dampner, its helps with pad hop.

10. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

HAha that's true

11. holden_caulfield04

12. BretFraz

BretFraz Virgin Detailer

From what I've seen on videos, these 3M plates deflect a great deal while still holding the pad in place. It seems to make polishing in difficult areas and on compound curves easier and safer. Since the plate deflects, you don't have a pad digging into the paint possibly creating a serious problem.

Also they seem to absorb oscillations better than more rigid plates. All in all, I'd love to use them but not at this lofty price.

Shipping from the UK isn't bad for a single piece. Its the duty fees and the exchange rate in addition to the shipping. For comparison, I shipped a pair of headphones to Italy a couple weeks ago and it cost me about $20.00 via Priority Mail. Got there in 9 days. I'd imagine shipping from the UK to be similar.

13. detailersdomain

once you switch over to this setup you will not go back.

its smoother and much more forgiving. It makes correction a breeze.

Is it worth it how much do you detail? If you use a rotary alot I think its a small price. If you pick up a machine once in a while not really.

14. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Holden, The backing plate does help, would I buy it again, yes, also Megs makes one , W66. It is not as nice but works, to me it doesn't dampen as well as the 3M.

15. Nica

Nica Banned

Well like the other guys have said the 3M backing plate helps give a more even pressure on the foam pad and on the polish here are some pictures to better ilustrate what I mean:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The serious of pictures were taken as I worked the polish in from the very first picture I spread the polish around and then just kept working the polish, you can see how the backing plate helps to spread nise and even pressure on the surface of the paint. Yes the other pads will do the same thing but like it was mentioned before these 3M backing plates will give you that extra support when going around edges or delicate areas. Oh and if your wondering what pad that is, it's the Menzerna Polishing pad quite the pads, quite the pads :thumb:

One thing to note is how close I bring the pads to the edge and if you look the pressure is even...well when you try it out you'll understand but then again that means spending that extra cash. Is it worth it I personaly think it is but that's just me.

Well hope these pictures help.

16. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I feel that the pads cut down on vibration and reduces hop.

Also it grips the pad like no other BP!

17. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

I can't wait to get mine :)

18. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

well worth the price.

19. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

im still waiting for it too :D

20. holden_caulfield04