1z Einszett Cockpit Premium

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by mharper, Nov 24, 2011.

1. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

any other shots it looks fine to me in those close up. if your looking for a sheen the cockpit won't give it to you. cockpit gives you an oem matte finish.

2. mharper

mharper Virgin Detailer

Yea that's exactly what I was looking for, a nice matte finish. It came out perfect on all of the non-textured materials like the instrument cluster and center control area.

You can see in the pictures that the textured areas turned a very light color overall, with the 'grain/veins' of the texture looking almost white..almost like very dry skin, that is what I'm trying to find a solution for.

3. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

I agree with Phil, looks normal to me. If you want more sheen you may have to try something else to put on the textured parts.

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have this very "issue" on my GTI, all the door parts are textured plastic/vinyl and just doing a cleaning leaves it looking like what is in the picture. Its just how VAG textured plastic looks "nude" as as CP does not really do anything to the sheen it shows. You can use a light dressing to give it a blacker look but nothing has been harmed. You can use something like 1z vinyl dressing, but that would be the natural look of VAG vinyl. I can try and get of pic of my VW if I get a chance and post it if you like.

5. mharper

mharper Virgin Detailer

Well it is definitely good to know that it is not just me..do you personally use a light dressing to give a blacker look?

Yea that would be great if you could post a pic of your GTI's interior!

Thanks again!

6. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I tend to clean everything with something like AG Interior Shampoo, Opt PowerClean or something of that nature and dress with Swissvax Protection Matte or Gloss-It TRV; you can use 1z vinyl dressing, or any other matte type dressing to get a richer look.

Here are some closer pics of the dash from a older review:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is my dashboard, my door panels look more like yours then the above but gives you a little hint of t he darkening of HD Protect when I was testing it.

7. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Ankeet -
    Thanks for the perfect pictures for Mharper to see.
    I am guessing he would want to know what product you used to make the dashboard darker like it is on the 2nd picture, lower right hand corner..
    Dan F

8. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Used HD Protect that I was testing out. Gloss-IT TRV I find works better and can use it on tires but pretty much any dash/vinyl dressing will help with what he wants.

9. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Could it be an issue with the MF? Is it an MF that has never been washed before and might be losing some of its color on your plastics?

10. mharper

mharper Virgin Detailer

Thank you for the photos! That is how my dash looks as well..for whatever reason the doors came out different. Right now I am in the process of trying to pick out the best combo of products (deep cleaner and dressing) to re-do my interior, leaving the finish I am aiming for (deep black, soft-matte finish). Right now I am thinking Swissvax "Plastic Wash" and "Protecton Matt"

I don't think it could have been from the MF, I used new and washed cloths on the interior. I always wash them before using them for that exact concern..that and I always feel that they are dirty from sitting on shelves/transit/etc...needless to say, I am quite OCD when it comes to my cars!

11. Michael @ einszett

Michael @ einszett DB Certified Manufacturer

Thanks everyone for stepping up and helping out. I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving weekend.

Yes, like the others have said, this is the look Cockpit Premium gives - a factory look. If you want more of that silk, low-gloss finish, you would use Vinyl-Rubber Care and Protectant.

I did give your batch number to the factory over the weekend and they found no known issues with it. I also happen to have a personal bottle for myself from that same batch and I have had no issues.

Also, our you the original owner? What products were used on there before? If it was an off-the-shelf, petroleum based product, it may have dried out the surface only to be revealed by cleaning and treating it with Cockpit. If that's the case, Vinyl-Rubber can condition and restore the color and then you can follow up with Cockpit.

12. mharper

mharper Virgin Detailer

I actually detailed the interior of my girlfriend's CTS and the CP worked phenomenally, just as everyone said! I will definitely continue using the product, especially on her car.

-Mike, I previously had the car detailed and the detail people applied a protector "Valugard’s Leather and Vinyl Protection permanent clear coating." Based on what you, and other members said, I am guessing that this is the culprit.

13. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

Great thread. This is by far my favorite product. Phil turned me on to it years ago and it is all I will use. It smells great, and most importantly, does not leave a greasy, sticky mess behind when your done. I will take the matte OEM look any day over the "armor all" look. Just my 2 cents. I have experimented with other types of product and in the end have always stuck with CP. Nothing worse then trying something new and having it be all over your dash for months. I wont make that mistake again.

Kudos to Mike for the great customer service.

14. kyle butler

kyle butler Birth of a Detailer

Im considering switching from 303. i like 303 as it has good protection, and doesnt leave that "armor all" look like JoeyZ said. Can i use only CP for my interior or are people pairing it with a protectant like 303? I have an all black car and am concerned with heat/uv damage.

15. Michael @ einszett

It could be the cause. The Valugard product advertises itself as a long-term sealant that's applied as a warranty protectant. Frankly, not a big believer in those items - it's today's version of yesterday's underbody coating sold as a warranty item. Regardless of its long-term protective abilities, I'm not certain what kind of effect it would have on the material. I did do a little bit of searching and found the MSDS on it in case you're interested. Seems the active ingredient is an acrylic polymer. That might be the white coating you're seeing. With some regular cleaning it will eventually come off.

No need to be concerned unless you have a convertible (or boat) that is exposed regularly to the sun. Today's automotive glass contains UV filters so a lot of UV is already blocked. Cockpit Premium has UV protection in it to protect against what UV does come through. If you do have a convertible, we suggest you apply an exterior protectant such as 303 or our einszett Vinyl-Rubber Care and Protectant every once in a while. This will offer stronger conditioning and UV protection.

Of course if you choose to use an exterior protectant even if you don't have a convertible, there is no harm, no foul. Vinyl-Rubber can be applied on the dashboard and trim and it won't leave a high gloss finish that can cause dangerous glare. Just be sure that if you do use an exterior protectant on the interior, keep it away from surfaces you regularly touch (ie. shift knob, seats, steering wheel) because of the slippery effects caused by silicone which is used to offer both water/wash resistance.

Hope this helps!

16. kyle butler

kyle butler Birth of a Detailer

Thanks for your help!

17. Michael @ einszett

18. fricker66

fricker66 Birth of a Detailer

Awesome service Michael. Glad to be a fan of 1Z products and a frequent user of CP myself!!

19. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Looks like I may have to stock 1Z in the future with customer service like that! Kudos Mike!

20. Michael @ einszett

Sure thing everyone. Also want to say thanks to Phil (Detailers Domain) for bringing this thread to my attention in the first place. I have to admit that sometimes a concern will come and go and I didn't have a chance to address it simply because I missed it. I try and stay on top of things but sometimes I get caught up in the day to day work.

So if in the future you have a concern and I don't address it within a reasonable amount of time (within 24 hours), please don't hesitate to shoot over an email to support@1z-usa.com or call. You can either have me address your question on the spot or refer me to a thread you or someone started.

Thanks everyone!