1st time w/Leatherique

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by MJCarnegie, Mar 21, 2010.

1. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

These may help-

Article in the Leather Training & Technical Dept Ltd website -
    IICRC Reference Guide for Professional Upholstery Cleaning (IICRC S300)
    Upholstery cleaning is based upon methods recommended by the Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning Institute (CUCI)
    Society of Leather Technologists and Chemists (SLTC) various technical papers / articles

2. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Thanks Jon, but are there any links for the above articles or sites mentioned or are these articles within DB?

3. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Wow. Was hoping to get a definitive answer on Leatherique here. Just confused me even more:(

I purchased the oil and Prestine clean for my car, but now I don't know if it'll just be a waste of time.

So, what's the consensus on this stuff in (modern) automotive upholstery? Only for the beat-up, cracked and neglected cases or is it also good for routine cleaning/maintenance?

4. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

I feel LTT or Leather Masters is the way to go for routine cleaning/ maintenance.

Would like to hear Judy's comments on restoring old, dried, cracked leather.

5. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

It seems to me, there is a TON of conflict and that each person is very sneakily marketing their own line.

The leatherique guy is here, Judy is here, Roger is here(or autopia) and each person backs a certain product that has a different idea behind it that the person supports

Each person says for the most part the other person is incorrect yet none of the 3 systems end up with poor result.

What?

6. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I don't think JudyB (LTT) or I disagree in principle, we both support basic water-based products, George Pavlisko (Leatherequi) is an oil based product and Roger K confuses me with reliance upon pH that I don’t find relevant

The other major differences;
    • JudyB is a representative of LTT Leather Care (UK)
    • George Pavlisko owns Leatherequi(US)
    • Roger Koh owns Leather Doctor Systems (US)
    • I am independent and therefore offer unbiased advice on al types car care products.

My best advice, as always-research others opinions and products, test them and then make an objective decision based upon factual information not marketing hype or brand loyalty. I have always thought that the more facts and information you have at hand the easier it is to judge what information you are being given. After all, how can you fully understand and properly use any product unless you have all the facts?

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

No they are not on this site they are some of my research resources (google will help)
    You could also try these-

Information resource
    1. American Leather Chemists Association, various technical papers / articles
    2. Leather Technician's Handbook by J.H. Sharphouse
    3. Practical Leather Technology by T.C. Thorstensen.
    4. How to keep Luxurious Connolly Leather Young and Supple. Krysti Pavlisko 1998
    5. Leather Care Facts. Leatherique 2003 - Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products
    6. The Leather Institute (Townsend Leather Group) Leather Institute: Home
    7. How to Restore Auto Leather. D Briggs 2001
    8. Article in the Leather Training & Technical Dept Ltd website -
    9. IICRC Reference Guide for Professional Upholstery Cleaning (IICRC S300)
    10. Upholstery cleaning is based upon methods recommended by the Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning Institute (CUCI)
    11. Society of Leather Technologists and Chemists (SLTC) various technical papers / articles
    12. Leather Master™ - Leather Master UK
    13. Global Care Solutions, LLC , 354 Hiatt Dr, Palm Beach Gardens, FL, 33418 - 1-800-292-3777
    14. IICRC Course: Leather Cleaning Technician - Welcome to the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification! The Certifying Body for the Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Industry, Representing Certified Firms and Technicians World-Wide - International

IICRC Course: Leather Cleaning Technician, I have recommended this course to other detailers on DB and for anyone interested in leather care, LTT also run training courses, although they are UK based, contact / PM JudyB for more info