1999 VW Passat V6 Syncrp (4motion) only 44k

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Prism, Mar 3, 2012.

1. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Car is looking awesome Robert.

2. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Just got done reading this whole thread and really enjoyed it. You really did a great job on all aspects and the Passat is looking awesome now! Thanks for sharing Robert!

3. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

This is an awesome thread. I have read over it several times and never get tired of it.

4. Prism

Prism Birth of a Detailer

Thanks guys :)

Some better daytime pics of the repair, im very happy with it and has been blended in very well with no signs of over spray:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I've been following this thread and really love seeing all of your updates, my boyfriend just got a Passat so it's nice seeing one getting all cleaned up to get me motivated to do the same for his :)

6. Prism

Winter prep has started on the car with Gtechniq products, as you might know i have previously applied Gtechniq C4 to the trim, giving the darkness back to them and offering protection for up to 2 years:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nortQEkSus

The Glass was treated with Gtechniq G1, not application pics as very much time constraints with this product, but offering up to 2 year or 20,000 miles protection and here is a video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thhvB5fkUHM

The alloys were done today, removed them, washed, detarred, decontaminated with IronX then washed again, then an IPA wipedown and Gtechniq C5 was applied to the alloys an Gtechniq T1 to the tyres. C5 is meant to last up to 18 months and T1 has been know to be one of the longest lasting tyre dressing on the market, here are a couple of pics and a video:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVmZzp9jMVo

Once the paintwork was fully cured then ill do a full IPA wipedown then apply C1 followed by either Exo or C1.5.....but thats a few weeks away....

MOT is due on Wednesday so hoping it will pass with flying colours lol

7. Prism

Not spent much time on the car coming up to christmas, but as the paint had fully cured decided to apply Gtechniq C1 to the paintwork as the rest of the car has been protected with Gtechniq products, didnt get amazing pics unfortunately....:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some beading pics a few weeks on:
    [​IMG]

and an interest pic of frozen rain on the sunroof which was protected with G1:
    [​IMG]

When the weather gets better will top up with C1.5 or Exo......hopefully will increase the gloss a little more and tighten up the beading a little more....

8. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

wonderful

9. 911Fanatic

That pic is awesome!

10. Prism

Today i decided to give the Passat a maintanence detail, I had applied Gtechniq C1 back in November and wanted to apply further protection in the form of Gtechniq C1.5. I also found a sample of Gtechniq C2 so decided my course of action would be to snowfoam the car, then wash with G-wash, dry the car then apply C1.5, leave to cure for 20 mins then apply C2 for maximum gloss and to help with tighter beading (something C1 is not very good at)....but the end results even i was suprised with the slickness of the paintwork and the gloss/reflection even on silver:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

C1.5 and C2 was very easy to use and very pleased with the results :)

and decided to would do a maintanece on my mother car also, as i had been testing the durability of Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid (which was applied in September, I cleaned then applied Dodo Juice Red Mist Tropical:

[​IMG]

I have to admit, RMT was not the best to use at the time of day and the temperature, i kind of wished i used normal RM instead....

thanks for viewing

Robert @ Prsim

11. Prism

With the rain last night i was able to capture some of the beading on the car....much better and tighter beading than C1 on its own....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also noticed after driving in the rain the better sheeting and self cleaning properties with C2 (or C1/C1.5/C2 combination) as when i parked up after what was a fair long journey the car was pretty much dry and still clean....ill see how long this lasts for :)

12. Prism

The weekend was the first time i got to see some snow in the 4Mo and it was amazing....the car performed really well and even more so since its still on summer tyres (Continental Sports Contact). Headed to Perthshire, more specifically Kenmore. My sister headed up in her new Astra an got stuck a few times, had to turn back and took over 5 hours to get there....Passat did it in 2 hours with the traffic but more of the time i didnt have to stay in the single lane everyone else did and even on the country roads it felt very safe....some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very glad i got the 4motion now, didnt have any issues......just an amazing car :)

13. Prism

Today i decided to work on the car a little more, even though about a year ago I had wetsanded my headlights, they were starting to show signs of deterioration and looks like this might be a common issue:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So unlike last time i wetsanded by hand this time (instead of disk on a DA), started with 2000 grit but didnt made enough impact so moved onto 1000 grit, then 2000 grit then 4000 grit:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then again polished with a rotary using Scholls Concept S3 on a cutting pad, S17 on a Polishing Pad, S40 on a refining pad and followed up with Nanotech Super Gloss Polish on a refining pad:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also decided to polish the door shuts etc....just to give a nice gloss finish again:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the external black gloss trim (which had staining, stratches etc):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the black gloss trim around the door frame:

From
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know its not a big improvement on the change of the car......

I have had issues with the recirculating air flap, with it clicking away behind the dash, became soo much of an annoyance i removed the power to it, might mean i dont get to recirculate the air, but im not minding, ill try and fix it sometime...

Also had to replace the two front tyres as tread was very low (at the marker), big big difference with the new tyres in handling and performance...

and....recently i have noticed the car is running a lot better than it has done in the past, to the extent others have mentioned who have been in the car. Power delivery is much better, before i felt a flat spot now thats gone and its flying....I loved the car before, now i love it even more :)

Another outstanding problem i have found, the headlight washer is leaking water, possibly a seal, i will check it more soon but suspect needing a new jet :(

14. Prism

A little update, since my last post I have applied Swissvax Shield. Have also reapplied more Gtechniq C4 to the side trim of the car, as i felt the winter with salt etc had taken its toll. I have had to get 2 new tyres on the front and really this seems to be the only true expense with this car (apart from petrol).

Over the last month or so, there has been a leak from the front of the car, screen washer fluid to be more precise. after removing the wheel and arch lining and looking at the bottle, it looked as if the fluid was leaking from the bottom washer pump area:

[​IMG]

So i swapped the pump out for a new one:

[​IMG]

once all fitted in place:

[​IMG]

It was still leaking just as bad, from the same area, so i thought maybe the rubber seal, but it was ok, after 20 mins then realised the water was coming down the back on the bottle, round and past the bottom pump, following the trail lead me to the headlight washer pump i replaced last year:

[​IMG]

So i removed this and found the rubber seal had snapped:

[​IMG]

so all this leaking water, bottles of fluid lost every night because of this :(

I fixed by using plumbers teflon tape and put it all back together. There is still a slight leak coming from the jet for the headlight washer:

[​IMG]

but this is something that will be looked at very soon to see if there is a way to stop the leak as the part is very expensive new and still quite expensive second hand.

15. Prism

So a few pics from my service and things i noticed and had to repair.....

Pollen Filter change:
    [​IMG]

Air Filter:
    [​IMG]

Engine cover off (finding potential oil leak):
    [​IMG]

I had noticed the PCV had deteriorated and when checking it fell apart:
    [​IMG]

had to make an improvised repair for now until i get a new one:
    [​IMG]

Looking over the rest of the hose i had noticed other areas where it had previously been repaired with tape :(
    [​IMG]

So currently looking to replace, but struggling to find out what exactly im looking for.....

On a positive note, after doing the service....my MPG went up from a usual 23mpg to:
    [​IMG]

and even did 100 miles at the speed limit (mixed motorway and town driving):
    [​IMG]

16. 911Fanatic

All the little things will add up to one sharp looking Passat. Keep the updates coming!

17. Prism

18. Prism

From my temp fix of the PCV hose, i decided to replace it asap rather than leave it, and very happy i did as it had split in another place. I thought it was going to be difficult to do, but very simple and fairly quickly done.

This is where it had snapped previously:
    [​IMG]

did my temp fix:
    [​IMG]

But started to leak and split further down the hose:
    [​IMG]

So disconnected and removed it:
    [​IMG]

As you can see it had actually split into 3 parts:
    [​IMG]

and the gunge inside the hose:
    [​IMG]

Fitted the new one and secured in place:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I took the car for a drive and it felt much more responsive and quicker acceleration so very happy with overall :)

19. Prism

Since owning the car, there has been something annoying me. The rear "4motion" badge as the red had faded from the "4"

[​IMG]

So had thought of the idea of simply replacing it, but then came up with the idea of changing the colour. So opted for blue instead for something different. So ordered some vinyl heated it into place and cut round it and this is the results.....:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im going to try a few more attempts until im 100% satisfied with it...but hopefully you get the idea

20. Prism

Today I received my new InCar DVR :)

Looks like this:

[​IMG]

Opened the box and had all this:

[​IMG]

Installed the front Camrea/Screen behind the rear view mirror (no not distract me) and hardwired into the car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and wired the rear camera though the roof lining:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front the outside you cannot see the rear camera at all and from the front quite difficult to see the front one:

[​IMG]

Later ill try and upload a couple of example videos :)