1999 VW Passat V6 Syncrp (4motion) only 44k

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Prism, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Prism

Prism Birth of a Detailer

Today, i decided i would spend a little time cleaning up the arches and wheels, I say a little time, ended up over an hour on each corner :hyst

So i started by jacking up the car and removing the alloy wheel to get better access to the arches. Looks like they have not been cleaned properly ever. The method of cleaning was to apply Meguairs APC, left to dwell then aggregate with a brush then rinse. Then applied Autosmart Tardis to remove the tar spots, wiped clean, then rinsed again, on the metal an painted area's applied IronX to remove any other contaminents rinse again then the plastic trim was treated to Chemical Guys Bare Bones and the suspension components and painted areas protected with Permanon Aircraft.....some pics showing what was done:

before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

during:
    [​IMG]

after Chemical Bare Bones was applied:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

During (showing Ironx bleeding):
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There were some areas that needed special attention, for these areas instead of using the pressure washer i changed to use the steam cleaner which worked fantastic at blasting away dirt/oil and grime:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

to be continued......

2. Prism

So from the previous thread, I was working on the arches and the alloys, well part 2 (this part) is about the alloys....ill say from the start i think they could have finished better, bt i ran out of IronX and the exterior the paint was starting to flake, but i did the best i could....the method used was, cleaning with Chemical Guys Diablo wheel cleaner using a brush, then rinsed off, then used Autosmart Taris to remove the tar spots, wiped clean then applied IronX, left to dwell for 5 mins until the contaminents starts to bleed, wiped clean the rinsed then clayed with AMD mild clay and using Dodo Juice Born Slippy as a lube, washed down again then applied Permanon Aircraft to the alloy neat, rinsed then pat dry....the tyres were dressed with Swissvax Pneu and ocne again here are the pics:

before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

during:
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]

before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

during:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once the Swissvan Pneu was applied:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and these are a couple of pics showing the protection of the Permanon Aircraft on the alloys:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once again thanks for taking the time to have a look at my updates :)

Robert

3. Prism

Well today, first day in a while i had the time to correct the Passat, even though i had worked on the bonnet and boot lids previously, the rest of the panels were needing correction. But i started by snowfoaming the car with CG Citrus Snow foam, rinsed, washed with Nanotech SST Shampoo, rinsed, then detarred with Tardis and other conteminents using IronX, i had previously cleaned the paint with Lime Prime, but these pics show how much was still left in the paint:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The car was then clayed with Dodo Juice Purposely Purple using Born Slippy, then washed again

On inspection found a few deeper scratches:
    [​IMG]
    and the usual swirls from a 13 year old car (quite hard to picture in the sunshine on a silver car!) p.s. if using a laptop, tilt the screen a little and you will see them ;)
    [​IMG]

Corrected the paint using Scholls Concept S17+ on a Chemical Guys Hex pad (Green) with a couple of areas using an Orange pad. Then further refined using Scholls Concept S40 on a Chemical Guys Hex Pad (Black) then IPA wipe down resulting in this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry not many pics as i said hard work in the sunshine showing defects.......

Once the car was complete, I protected using Wolf's Chemicals Body Wrap on the paint, Wolf's Chemicals Rim Shield on the alloys, Permanon Glass on the glass, Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel on the plastic trim and Swissvax Pneu on the tyres resulting in:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Happy with the results, still a few things needing more attention but that can be done another time :)

thanks for viewing

Robert

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Looking like a new car Robert.

5. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

So do you use the sanding disks on a DA or rotary? Those headlights look amazing! The car look great sir.

6. Prism

It was via DA :)

7. Prism

8. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

Amazing transformation Richard! Been following this thread in great anticipation of the final results. I was not let down. Congrats again on your "Brand new car." It is stunning to say the least.

Darren

9. Prism

lol its Robert ;)

10. cnut

cnut DB Forum Supporter

Nice work on the Passat!

11. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I've been following this thread and I love the work that you're doing! I wonder if Megs Wheel Brightener would be able to get the last of the brake dust buildup off the inside of those wheels, I've had really good results using that with thick brake dust buildup on older wheels.

12. Prism

I have not used Wheel Brightener in a long time....maybe something to consider, but personally i think if i worked at it longer it would have come off with a stronger diltution of Bilberry......also i think another couple of hits of IronX would have done wonders, but at the time, i was running out :( but they will need fixed for what i fancy using as protection next time round in a few months ready for the winter ;)

13. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

Very true! I don't have a ton of money for products so I tend to get really strong stuff so it just takes care of everything, lol.

14. Prism

15. Prism

Not much of an update as i have been too busy working away, and getting prepared for my sisters wedding but got round to fitting my Alpine head unit I had in my old Golf GTI:

[​IMG]

Next ill fit the amp and sub in the boot and hopefully if i can figure it out fit the rainbow components up front.....

also...

Today i was cleaning the engine bay and thought i would check the drainage holes, it was good that i did as it was already filling with water, and looked like there was moudly water gathered for some time....ended up cleaning it all up, unblocking the drains....

[​IMG]

So happy knowing im ready for when the rain comes and not risking any flooding...

treated all the trim to Chemical Guys Silk Shine Dressing and the painted area to Dodo Juice Red Mist Tropical for some protection:

[​IMG]

So thanks for the heads up guys on the drainage issues :)

16. Prism

Not really done much to the car, except drive it....but had removed the WC BW and opted for Swissvax Shield, then got bored removed that and went for Dodo Juice Light Fantastic then decided to try the sample I got from Concours Car Care, in particular the Champagne Supernauba wax...initially i could place the smell until someone mentioned on here, it does smell like Vicks rub with a slight citrus scent to it. Application was a doddle, spread easily and very little used, left for about 20 mins but found the removal to be quite difficult to what im used to (ok compairing to Swissvax might not be fair as they have what i could describe as the easiest in the market, but Dodo Juice can be a bit of effort sometimes). Have to move away from a MF with a medium or deep pile to a very short pile MF as i felt it was dragging...intresting at the stage of removal the Vicks menthol smell had disappeared but only left the citrus smell :) I was quite happy with the results...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and finally a beading pic:

[​IMG]

I have tried the wax on another detail and had the same issues, initially i thought it was the time of day being in the evening on the Passat but the other car was at 1pm on a dry day and still had this dragging issue, but even left for 30 mins...not sure if i am leaving it too long or too little amount of time !?!

thanks for looking

Robert

17. Prism

Ever since owning the car there has been something annoying me...the headlight washer system not working. I ordered a new pump from Amazon for a grand total of £12 and was going to wait until i get my bumper resprayed, but today i thought i would have a look, see how bad the old one was, As i went to unplug the electrics the top half came away...the whole pump has corroded sooo badly. I thought i would have to remove the full bumper to get in and replace, but nope, removed the indicator and had all the room i needed. So 10 mins later all fixed :)

this is how it looked once i took it out:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the new one in :)

[​IMG]

18. Prism

Today i have been testing some more products on the Passat. This time Gtechniq was the choice of product. The trim on the Passat was looking dated, So i ordered some C4, really easy to apply and buff and gave fantastic results so wait to see the durability, but as usual got some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nortQEkSuss

and I also tested G1 & G2, easy to apply, found a little harder to remove the residue but all workout in the end :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thhvB5fkUHM

Overall, really enjoyed using the products still got some more to try out from Gtechniq so watch this space for updates :)

Thanks for viewing :)

Robert

19. Prism

Recent thunder storms in Glasgow, torrential rain causing flooding the car didnt struggle like my previous VW (Golf GTI 16v mk3) and no lose of traction or aquaplaning an even deep water, but not noticing something was missing :(

[​IMG]

Went back the next day to the 4 different previous deep water area and was lucky to find it (phew) along with 10-15 other front number plates lol will need to be sanded and painted again i think as its got a few scuffs :( But will be cheaper than buying a new surround, plate and get it sprayed....

20. Prism

Well a couple of weeks ago, i woke up to a note through the letterbox saying "Can you give me a call re car"....checked the car and found this :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well an update for today.....The car went into the place of my choice, which i chose Touch Ups in Glasgow as i use them for my business and have always been fantastic at their repair work...got a couple of pics of the repair i know not the best light but you can see its all good, and if you look careful enough at the pics with the headlight reflection you can see how well they flattened it down and polished it up...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thinking ill wait till the paint has fully "gassed" out then apply Gtechniq for protection :)