1951 Packard Barn Find- You're Only Original Once - A Different Kind of Detail

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Deep Gloss Auto Salon, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

It's been years since I've done a write up and made a detailing post. But this one is too different not to share.

It's definetly not the same work I wa known for posting sometime ago but perhaps it will still be enjoyed as much.

1951 Packard Mayfair

Packard was at one time a vehicle for the elite and spoken in the same breath as Hudson and Rolls Royce, reserved for the elite class. In 1951 Packard wanted to offer a vehicle for regular folk that would be shopping Fords, Chryslers with the highest line for consideration by this target demographic being Cadillac. The vehicle that was made for this demographic was this, the last ever all new Packard, the 1951 Mayfair (aka 200 Delux Sedan)

Some say that due to offering this vehicle under the Packard nameplate the elite no longer viewed the Automaker in the same elite class, after all regular folk now owned a revered nameplate (although content was lessened) and that this was a large part of the automakers demise. Being the oddball I am, that makes me like this vehicle even more.

This was a barn find, owned by a San Diego California Naval officer from 1951 to 1984 (the car came with registration slips for every year). It sat from 1984 until 2019, was purchased in an estate sale, mechanicals were sorted and I then purchased the vehicle.

This vehicle is 100% original down to the add on vanity mirror with areas to write when service is due, to the robe rope where passengers in the back seat would hang thier car robes when not in use to the side skorts.

My goal was always to respect the history of the vehicle and not get a new paint job but still infuse some love and make it look cared for. After all, finding a near 70 year old vehicle that someone didn't think they could make look better with a layer of primer is rare these days.

Enough of my banter, on with some pictures.

Here is the vehicle as purchased
    [​IMG]

Trunk Lid
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drivers side rear door
    [​IMG]

After leaving a wet lathering of Megs #7 on for 36 hours and heavy hand rubbing with a terry towel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After messing with the front panel I started to realize the potential of how far this could be recovered

Removing some of the rust from ythe roof to unveil some of the "Valiant Green Metallic" paintwork really opened my eyes
    [​IMG]

50/50 - This was before I perfected the technique I settled on
    [​IMG]

Making progress
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So the current state of this project is almost half done with the paintwork. In working with the paint I discovered and decided my end goal was to smooth and burnish out the patina for it to appear as though it melted into the paint instead of sitting on top of the paint as shown in the completed panels below

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will keep this thread current as I am working on this daily....

All the best,
    'Jason

Attached Files:

2. Mbkite

Mbkite Member

3. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Circling back to share the finished product, it’s amazing how well this paintwork responded, modern paint systems would have no chance of having this much life breathed back into them

[GALLERY=] 5A7398A0-F084-4B3C-B5C2-1838C3C21331.jpeg C9589B6A-C880-4AF0-8838-75140AFB96CE.jpeg 80997379-0F5D-45C9-90F6-C933B63A32FA.jpeg [/GALLERY]

Attached Files:

4. Deep Gloss Auto Salon