10 Years of Dirt and Brake Dust is Just Too Much

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by froboy272, Jun 28, 2011.

1. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

agreed. i have extensive experience using this product, and it does work wonders. you have to be extremely careful with it though, as it is highly acidic. it can literally burn your skin off. last i check ardex wont just sell it to anyone. they will only sell it to detail shops/dealerships because of the liability. i would bet money buster would be able to handle this though.

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

You could try a mechanical system like bead blasting

3. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Put on some gloves and do a test spot with Laquer thinner, as I have had success with this in the past and Yesterday on some Porsche wheels(Prepare for a long road of scrubbing) on this type brake dust crust.

Do all this in a well ventilated area which goes without saying.

4. AshyLarry

AshyLarry Virgin Detailer

Had a similar issue on my summer wheels, they went through a year of use with track pads and no protection. Nothing worked as you said, I tried WB, Sonax, and everything else I could buy. Finally I bought a giant rubbermaid and filled it with water, APC, simple green, MEG's WB and some other crap. I let each wheel soak overnight and the next day, dust wiped off with minimal effort.

No science for me on that one, but worked out in the end, and my wheels look brand new now. No damage done.

5. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

Crazy solution Larry, and I am very surprised it worked. I would think the Simple Green and APC(assuming both alkaline) would start to neutralize the WB.

But thats pretty cool that it worked.

froboy - any updates so far?

6. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

That day i took the photos I tried everything from a stiff bristle nylon, a stiff brush that i have that almost looks like the same strawlike material that construction companys use to sweep the street with (very very firm) a mothers fender brush and a swissvax wheel brush.

Unluckily for me i dont have the opportunity to soak these rims as they are on a dialy driver that leaves early in the am and comes back after i am already asleep. No updates yet b/c i've been so busy with my store for the holiday weekend. Some of you guys were kind enough to offer to ship me some of the Ardex stuff so tomorrow i'll get everything all set to go and hopefully that will help.