06 Audi A8-L Brilliant Black over Amaretto Multi-S

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by MuttGrunt, Feb 5, 2010.

1. MuttGrunt

MuttGrunt Birth of a Detailer

This gorgeous A8L was purchased recently with only 10k miles on the odometer. Before the sale, the vehicle was cleaned pretty good. The interior was immaculate. The new owner contacted us to perfect it, and make the exterior look as good as the rest of the car. He knew it had some swirls, and wanted it to be perfect. We expected a 2 step polish.

Let me assure you, this is a BIG car. Looks are deceiving. The doors are about 4 feet wide, all 4. The trunk is as big as many hoods. The roof is wide enough to have to struggle to reach the middle. But oh what a feeling working on it. It feels like quality. More than the typical Audi. We have worked on many, and has a B6 A4. But the give (or lack thereof) of the panels as you press against them, the silkiness of the paint, the muted solidity of the car made it a pleasure to work on. Not that we don't enjoy all cars we work on, but this one felt special. Kinda weird. I have always wanted an A8L in black (you know, when I grow up), so this was bliss.

In the cold of winter, we usually ask clients to bring the car to our location to be able to work around the weather. Our work location garage is insured and set up for detailing year around, but the owner lives 2.5 hours away. He mentioned he had a place we could work out of, heated and spacious, well lit and comfortable. We agreed on making the trip out to the west side of the state in Grand Rapids in early January, as soon as we got back from our trip to Puerto Rico (yep, hot and humid one day to extreme cold the next). The morning was about 15 degrees out.

Upon arrival, the new owner had already prepped the vehicle. After a quick inspection, we called it good and went straight to taping and masking.

[​IMG]

We started to unpack our supplies from TDR and set up wires, hoses, and lighting. Luckily, the shop had decent lighting...

Using the single halogen was enough to see these easily:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

using just the camera flash:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had our work cut out for us! But this is going to look awesome once polished!

[​IMG]

The vehicle had been washed and clayed prior to our arrival, so we proceeded straight to masking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We split up the door into a few sections and started testing various polishing combinations...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50/50 with one pass of M205 on a Meg's Black pad via Makita Rotary:

[​IMG]

50/50 with one pass if Menzerna Intensive Polish on a Megs Black pad:

[​IMG]

50/50 with Menzerna IP on Green LC Constant Pressure pad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Could this paint get any blacker?

[​IMG]

The paint was relatively soft, so we needed something that would correct pretty good but not leave much pad trails. The idea was to use a medium polish on a softer pad, then refine with a finishing polish on the PC. Menzerna IP was chosen since it finished down well enough to be able to refine with FF106 and the PC. It would take a few passes of IP/green, but we preferred to take a little extra time here to make things quicker in the end.

Working it:

[​IMG]

After first stage of compounding:

[​IMG]

2. MuttGrunt

Finished down LSP ready!

[​IMG]

No... just kidding. Some areas were very bad, and required some extra work as evidenced by the severe buffer trails

Looking better after some refining...

[​IMG]

More IP on the other side:

[​IMG]

We were able to correct most of the RIDS and 100% of the swirls for an overall 95% correction. The RIDS the vehicle had were very deep, with the passenger side worse than the drivers side.

After compounding, I finessed the finish with Menzerna Final Finish on a Yellow 3M Germany pad on the Porter Cable 7424 DA, which took care of any buffer trails.

We gave the vehicle a wash to get polish residue and dust off surface prior to sealing. Here we used Chemical Guys Citrus Wash at 4:1 in the foam gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sealant of choice was Blackfire Wet Diamond, applied via PC 7424 with a LC ultra-soft blue pad on speed 3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As Jacob applied the sealant, I dressed the tires with Optimum Tire Dressing. This helps keep any overspray off the dried finish.

[​IMG]

Afters:

[​IMG]

Beautiful high quality paint does wonders for afters:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dude!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

L4P reppin'
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading!

[​IMG]

3. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

looks nice. i wouldnt mind having an A8 myself.

4. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

the results are very very nice.

5. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Great work, guys! Fantastic results

Why is it that you can have a car make that has paint hard as nails in EVERY color but gloss black? I've seen this with BMW, Mercedes, AND Audi...

6. pushtiulk

pushtiulk Guest

great job

7. floraneg

floraneg Birth of a Detailer

Very impressive. Great job.

8. willjco

willjco DB Forum Supporter

Looks great....What type of foam gun is that cuz i have the same pressure washers but cant find a foam gun that fits.
    [​IMG]

9. MuttGrunt

Thanks everyone

It's a foam cannon with what I believe to be bosch fitting adapter

10. willjco

willjco DB Forum Supporter

Do you know where you got it or a place to get one?

11. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Easiest thing is just 1/4" Quick Connects. Put the female end on your gun and a male end on the cannon. When you are done just pop the cannon off and pop in the appropriate tip. :)

12. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

great post!!!!!!:thumb::thumb:

13. MuttGrunt

;) thanks guys

14. Twisted007

Twisted007 Banned

not a big audi fan but the car came out shining good work on the black it is always so rewarding to do black an red i think ,

15. billy

billy Obsessive Detailer

looks nice!

16. richy

richy Guest

The A8 is such an understated luxury ride. You guys did a great job on it..congrats!