Zymol Vintage Review

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Calgarydetail, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

Product: Zymol Vintage

Price: $1900

Size: 22oz per jar, with free refills

Price per oz: hard to determine because its refillable

Container: It’s a large container. It’s clear plastic block shaped with facet edges, almost like a large square diamond. It has a flip top that is easily opened and closed. My only problem is the container is larger than it needs to be adding to the shipping cost.
    Application directions: There are no directions on the vintage, it is assumed you have used zymol products before, or have talked to the staff at zymol. I checked the website.
    (www.zymol.com)

How I used: I started by washing my car with top of the line bubble bath. I then dried. I followed this by a polish with menzerna nano polish and a meg’s polishing pad.
    Once this was all wiped away it was time to wax. I placed a small amount (about half the size of a dime) in the palm of my hands, I rubbed my hands tighter to melt the wax.
    I ten started on the hood and wiped the wax onto the paint, making sure to get even coverage. I waxed the whole car (with the help of a friend). After we had waxed the whole car we started to wipe off the wax.
    We started by doing a quick buff, we got most of the wax off however there was still some oil and wax left on the paint. We did not try to get this off. Once the whole car was done we went back and did a final buff. This was to get everything else off the paint. This final buff made the paint glow.
    Application info: Application is hard at the begging, waxing with vintage is a little different then concours because of the texture of the wax.

Removal: Removal was a little bit though, it was no different then other waxes that are applied by hand. The thinner you apply the wax the easier is to get off.
    Texture: It was the texture of a hard wax. Very similar to sovergen, maybe a little softer. It had small granules but not as many as I thought, the wax was smoother then I had expected.
    Once the wax was melted in the palms it was smooth as butter, no granules, just smooth wax.

Smell: I could not put my finger on this. The smell was not very strong, but as you waxed you got a slight whiff of it. It was very pleasant. It was almost like a sweet sugar cookie kind of smell. Perhaps someone will be able to tune in and help me out.
    Look: The wax was an off white wax. Nothing special

Durability: Cannot comment, has not been on my paint long enough to know. However I have heard 6 months.
    Looks: the paint was stunning; it darkened it slightly like most waxes do but nothing major. I was however impressed with how clear the wax was. Lots of waxes slightly distort the paint, almost enhancing the orange peel. With vintage it was clear, it did not have this effect. I was very pleased with this. The car had a carnauba glow, almost like an aura was around the car. It was fantastic. I am not very good at writing what I am thinking, so I cannot find the words to describe how amazing the paint looked.

Final thoughts: I am in love. I was very impressed with this wax. It took the paint to the next level. I have been very impressed with concours, this took it even higher.
    Although there is a large investment and vintage is not for everyone I am very happy I bought it. I was everything I wanted and more. It’s hard to explain but I think the best way to put it is I do not regret spending 2,000 on a wax, and would do it again.
    This wax is not for everyone, so it may not be right for you. It is for me.

Comments or questions, good or bad would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading

p.s Links to pics http://detailingbliss.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264&page=3

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Fantastic review, your time invested in the write-up is much appreciated.

It's tough to be critical when such a large investment has been made, however, I salute you for being honest.

Would love to know the durability!!!

3. Calgarydetail

thanks, i tried to be as honest as I could. Its a sunk cost at this point so like it or not its mine.
    I was really happy with it though, regardless of the cost it is a nice wax..

I will try to comment on the durability however I dont want to wait that long
    to apply another coat, I may apply it to a family car just to see :)

4. eShine

eShine Guest

You should know this question was coming...

Was it worth the $2K? Is it truly better than any other wax you have tried previously?

5. Calgarydetail

that question is not easy to awner. It is the best wax I have used yes, i was more then impressed with it.
    Is it worth 2k. To me yes, with the refills, and my age it was worth the money to me. I am glad I bought it.
    So to me, yes it is worth.

6. eShine

eShine Guest

That is the most important part!

7. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

isnt the cost ~(1900/22X)+(100X)

8. Calgarydetail

yeah that would bethe cost per oz, except shipping costs change, and i have not worked out what it will ship right now.
    When i ship it back and find out the cost I will change it.

it was 35 bucks to ship here so im thinking it will be under 70 to go both ways, but im not sure

9. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

Here is how I took the look of it. It's almost as if it examines the paint, finds the outstanding features in the paint(metallic flake ect) and then enhances it....beyond all belief! On my truck it brought our the gorgeous metallic orange color of the paint.

10. Calgarydetail

have you uploaded them yet? I really want to see how it looked on red

11. eShine

eShine Guest

It is at least comforting knowing it is a top quality wax and not just all marketing. Thye product sounds like it delivers.

12. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

LOL that formula is wrong unless X => 1
    hahaa that is what you get from optimizing functions all day long

but yes...I am glad to hear you like it as well. I guess you would be pretty pissed if it sucked and cost you 1900 big ones.

13. Calgarydetail

lol i know what its like to work functions all day :awesome: its a party.

I dunno if i would be pissed, yeah its alot of money but I would still find a place for it. i love it ywah but i would just use iton customers cars i I didnt. I would still get my money worth.

i duno maybe i would be pissed, dont know since it worked ot in the end

14. Calgarydetail

I was happy with it. I have to wait longer to see durabilty, and how it looks with more then one application, but i dont think i wil be disapointed judgung from appliction 1.

As fro te all marketing hype, most of the people who say that have never tried it. I dont see how they comment on something they have never tried..
    ohh well, im happy with my purchase and feel it has deliverd thus far

15. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Thanks for the review! It sounds like a good wax. I have seen videos of its sheeting/beading and they're insane.

16. Nica

Nica Banned

First of all thank you for the detailed write up buddy, I've been waiting for this review and I think you just gave me that extra push I was needing :thumb:

The pictures and videos look incredable :righton:

Like eShine said it as long as you are happy that's all that matters.

Keep us updated on it's durability oh and most of all when applying layers how easy it is to apply/remove.

Enjoy...man I missed a lot today, I was in the garage finishing a vehicle ;)

17. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Thanks for review, very much appreciated. Question, how often can you refill it, and how much do you have to pay for shipping it to Zymol?

18. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

but were you blown away with the results?does it have a nicer look then souveran?

19. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Dude those pics were absolutely AMAZING! And the way I see it if you have the $$ and it makes you happy, it was worth it.

20. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Thanks for the review :D The car looked fantastic!!