Zymol Marina

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by scot_w, Feb 25, 2009.

1. scot_w

scot_w Birth of a Detailer

I am quoting a cruiser and curious if some of the boutique waxes really hold up better. The blurb for Marina says "resists Salt and UV." Don't most waxes resist UV? Also is there some way to calculate coverage? Say X ml covers X sf. A lot of marine wax comes in liters or gallons so it is hard to figure how a little pot will cover. I was thinking maybe a boutique wax top side or waterline up and the "regular" stuff on the rest of the hull.

Thoughts?

2. Nica

Nica Banned

I've used the Zymol Marina wax before...but only once and I honestly don't know about durability, I've always wanted to try the Marina wax on a vehicle, see if it makes a difference....mmm..maybe it's time I give it a shot.

As for what to use on a cruiser, since I don't know how well the Zymol marina will hold up I would go with a good sealant instead, DuraGloss stuff would be a good place to start but that's just my suggestion.

3. blackjz

blackjz Jedi Nuba

sorry for hijacking the thread..
    hei carlos have you tried optimum opti seal? on top of zymol or swissvax?

4. Nica

Nica Banned

No, can't say I have tried this combo..why is it any good?

5. blackjz

blackjz Jedi Nuba

haven't tried it yet..gonna try tmorow..it should be good though..i used OOS as LSP.but it gives result some kind of glossy but plastic look, i am going to top it off with smargrd...see if there is some depth of carnauba

6. scot_w

I looked at their marine line and they have #501, Duragloss Marine / RV Polish - Formulated to clean, polish and protect fiberglass, metal and painted surfaces and #531, Duragloss Marine / RV Protectant - A polymeric sunscreen formula designed to restore the lustre and water resistance to vinyl and rubber. Dries to a clear durable coating. Or were you thinking of the automotive #111, Duragloss CCP (Clear Coat Polish)?

Detailing boats is an odd business. Part detailer, part maid, part wood worker, part . . .

7. Wolfs Chemicals

Wolfs Chemicals DB Certified Manufacturer

I wouldn't overlook Collinite 885... wicked wax that is...

8. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

I turned my buddy who owns a boat on to Zaino and he was very impressed with how long it lasted. He said he got the entire season out of it. The boat was stored inside but it still got a lot of abuse every weekend in the Chesapeake.

He even turned a few of his boater buddies onto it and they all loved it. I saw one of the guys boats when we were out for a weekend and this boat was mostly all black with some red highlights and it looked stunning. I am not sure I would want a black boat on account of heat and being on it barefooted but it sure looked sharp. It was also a very fast boat.

9. scot_w

To follow up I found the following and am curious for input:

10. Nica

Nica Banned

Good info scot_w :thumb:

11. scot_w

I have always worked on boats, so for me cars are a new area, and I only detail my own cars. That said I have typically used marine polishes/waxes on the boats I detail because they come in larger quantities. However marine finishes never seem to have the glow of a car. And that is part of why I started reading this forum.

My question is to people that detail Corvettes and other fiberglass cars. Do you use different finishes on glass cars than metal? Does the above described porous nature of boat gel coat mirror automotive gel coat?

I had hoped to use some of the better automotive waxes and sealers on some of the boats I detail to get a better look. However based on the above it does not seem that I should proceed with that thinking.

Again any and all thoughts and comments are most welcome.

12. ghost28

ghost28 Birth of a Detailer

some sealers work good for protection on Gelcoat in marine environments....they just dont look as good as a Carnauba wax.....i do tons of boats and my go to wax is collinites Fleetwax ....holds up well and looks great.....i have used it over poorboys EX-P Sealant as well as Autoglyms Super resin polish/Extra Gloss Protection and it looks good and once worn off the sealer keeps on protecting a bit longer....

as far as Boutiqu waxes holding up better i doubt it...due to the porous nature of gelcoat and the harsh salt and sun Merine environment NOTHING is really going to hold up all that long....with the amount of wax needed to do a boat properly Boutique waxes can not be justified unless you have a lot of spare money.....

as far as fiberglass cars there finishes are not gelcoat....they are painted over the gel so they can be treated just as you would treat any automotive paint....only thing you may find is a static issue with wool pads on fiberglas gars...nothing an IPA wipedown will not take care of...

13. scot_w

ghost28 -
    Thanks for the reply. Fortunately no salt in Lake Michigan (of course who knows what is in the water), but you are right water is a brutal environment.

I have a couple of clients with Formulas and they want a little more shine and depth and that is why I was considering the Zymol Marine. But it would certainly be a large upcharge for the volume of product used. And before I sell it I wanted to make sure it would make a difference or if any of the boutique waxes would make a difference on a boat.

The Fleetwax seems pretty similar to what I use, but I will certainly try the PoorBoys and Autoglyms. Again thanks.