Zep Citrus Degreaser -- Dilutions

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Danny, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I just picked up a gallon of Zep Citrus Degreaser at Home Depot. I am wondering what dilution ratios you guys use this at. The packaging label is not that helpful. It only has full strength , 1:1, and 1:19. So I wanted to here what you use it at. I also picked up a RL Flow Master 56 oz pump sprayer to use with ONR to pre treat the panels while I was there.

2. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

3:1 use it for wheels, panels and carpets

3. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

so its ok for paint? I have some, and was not so sure about using it on paint.......... but if you guys are having good results.

4. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

On the back label: " Not for use on: Carpet, fabric, upholstery, glass, plexiglas, plastics , AUTO PAINT, leather, marble or any natural surface"

5. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

I use this stuff on paint all the time... maybe not on a fresh paint job. But on paint all the time!!!!

6. Kilo6_one

I know, that is why I have not used it, but Dust2glory said "panels" so I was assuming he ment painted..... Ill stick to my P21s, not worth risking it.

7. Socal Brian

Exactly my thinking. Don't risk it! Not worth having a big problem that is easily avoided right? Especially on the beautiful blue paint you have! LOL

8. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

You're wasting money on P21s if you have this stuff... they do not say automotive paint... I probably wouldn't use this stuff on house paint as it would cause it to rub off. But on clear coated paint it won't hurt a thing

9. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Thanks Dust2Glory I appreciate it. JL told me to give it a try. I was previously using Simple Green at 1:10 for exterior use and carpets and 1:30 for interior use. I wanted to try something different. Plus simple green doesnt have a pleasant smell. I am hoping Zep Citrus is better. Any other dilutions you use it at interior wise?

10. Kilo6_one

What are you diluting it too? 3:1?

I Agree, p21s is a waste of money..... im using up my last bottle, and looking for alternatives.

11. mobilejay

mobilejay Birth of a Detailer

I have been using CD for about 2 years now. I used it on wheels at first and then I began using it on plastic un painted interior panels. After that I used it on the front of cars to remove bugs. Works fantastic in everything I have put it on. Never have I had an issue with the painted surfaces.

12. Socal Brian

3:1 on paint and no problems?

13. Kilo6_one

I think ill try it out on my suburban....... I trust alot of information to be correct on this forum, so thanks guys!

14. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

I have used undiluted on paint with zero problems.... normally i use 3:1 for carpets. But I won't use it on plastics or leather.

Also GREAT for engines, door jambs... things of that sort

15. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

the stuff is safe to use on paint. ive used it on countless cars with absolutely no adverse results. like dust2glory said, IMO you're wasting your money if you're using p21s instead of zep citrus. its a fraction of the cost of 5L of p21s, plus is concentrated to boot, which p21s is not.

16. Socal Brian

yea, I've been using p21S because I always like to play it safe and avoid a big problem but if you guys are telling me this... then I'm going to have to take advantage of your knowledge. Thanks again!

17. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Thanks for letting me know you dont use it on plastics or leather.

Do you also use it at the same dilution Dust2glory does?

18. rwright

rwright Birth of a Detailer

In my opinion I wouldn't go any stronger than 4:1. Zep Citrus is very strong. I used it briefly at full strength to degrease a 10 year old engine and it actually stripped the paint on frame rails. Given the paint is not as thick, it still changed my mind about using it. I have switched to Optimum Power Clean for several reasons, mainly for the fact that it's paint safe. I have successfully cleaned a few engines at 3:1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^no dressing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent using Tapatalk

19. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Are those pictures from using Zep Citrus or Opti - Power Clean?

20. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

I've used full strength on the paint with no issues at all. I have my bottles diluted at 4:1 and 1 at full strength. Both work extremely well and I have no seen any issues with them on the paint.