Zaino Z2pro or Collonite 845?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by ampbmw, Mar 14, 2009.

1. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

I can't decide. I need a wax that LASTS! I heard zaino is durable and collonite is supposed to be very durable. Opinions please!

2. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

They both have great durability, so it will come down to subjective opinion on looks. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Zaino when it comes to looks. When it comes to sealants I prefer Ultima Paint Guard Plus, Optimum Opti-Seal and Blackfire Wet Diamond. These are so easy to apply that durability is not even an issue. Collinite is a wax, and IMO, looks better than Zaino.

3. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

845 is a great wax, that has pretty decent looks...and great durability..it gets my vote

4. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I would vote for Zaino, although I've never used a single Collinite product. Not sure why but the Collinite line has never ever impressed me and I've never ever had a desire to buy it. I've used Zaino and really liked the look but in high humidity it can be finicky to work with.

5. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

I own collinite 845 and zaino z2. I would have to vote for zaino I love that stuff! Though I do top it with a caranuba. But I say if you are going to zaino you must at least get the z2 and the zfx as a bare minimum.

6. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

What he said...:ditto::ditto::ditto::agree::agree::agree:

7. dogma

dogma Guest

Zaino Z2pro gets my vote. 845 is a nice wax but IMO Z2 pro looks better.

8. Berscht

Berscht Jedi Nuba

never used zaino. However collinite 845 is so easy to apply/remove, is priced well, and looks great on nearly any color. Hopefully 911 will chime in cause he looooves 845

9. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

why not get both? Top Z2 with 845, and it will be DURABLE! When 845 wears out, you will still have Z2 left!!!

10. Cyclo

Cyclo Birth of a Detailer

WAX wax wax... pretty subjective in itself...

Wax being a 'natural' product. Has it's limitations.. So you want a natural wax that will last a long time.. That's just not physically going to happen. Wax usually leave behind a less than .001" layer of itself. Then the sun comes out and UV rays and heat and dirt and rain all start to work their miracles on it. Every manufacturer tries to make something that will work and has to support it with marketing. Carnauba starts to melt at 180deg. and this is the hardest natural wax available. It doesn't literally melt and run, it more or less vaporizes as it melts. So for longer duration they start to fortify it with other things.,. polymers and such. Then comes the man-made wax's known as sealants. And another ball-game is started.

So the common thing for people that enjoy maintaining a finish is now to layer their favorite sealant and on top of that, to apply a layer of wax. Then to top up the wax with Quick Detailers, until after about 3 months the wax layer needs to be replenished. The wax adds it's own sheen to the surface and mutes the sterile look people associate with a pure sealant.

More and more manufacturers are now going to a man-made WAX, not a sealant, as such. And after studying, I can see where these new ma-made wax's are superior to carnauba. It might say a fortified wax.

I have this arriving this week, called Finish Kare 1000P. But the old timer in me still likes a good carnauba and thusly I also have some Swissvax coming too. One leads to another, You honestly just can not have enough wax's I say. Nor soap.. soap and wax, wax and soap.. yummy

Finish Kare FK1 Consumer Detailing Products
    In your humble opinion, have you ever seen a time you've put down a wax finish and then said, I hate it, and can't wait for it to go?

11. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

Me not hating it, and me LOVING it are 180 degrees apart.

I am definitely reaching for my swissvax on my car, because there I know I can maintain it, it is garaged and my goal is depth, warmth, wet look.

I am considering collinite 915 and 845 for cars like my dad's daily driver, or for clients who aren't enthusiasts and just want a nice layer of protection and can't tell the difference between carnauba+montan oils (swissvax) and a liquid wax. Anyways, 95% of the shine comes from a flawlessly corrected finish, in which case, even if I use Turtle Wax the car will look stunning.

12. Cyclo

Cyclo Birth of a Detailer

I agree totally.. And I also see nothing wrong in using Collinite Insulator wax on a finish either. BUT the people who make Turtle Wax ICE and Armor-All Car Wash, should be strung up by the b****.