Your thoughts safe?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by dogma, May 3, 2009.

1. dogma

dogma Guest

I have my car garaged 98% of the time and take it out occasionally for a few hours.
    If I wipe it down with a good QD and then decided to add another coat of my LSP do you think thats ok or does it need to be washed first.? Or what if i want to change my LSP and decide to polish or clean the paint with say Lusso RC what do you think? Your thoughts ?

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

a) Using a convential two-buckey wash would be my reffered method

b) To remove light, dry surface dust or pollen without causing scratches by applying very little surface pressure, dusting with long strokes in one direction only, use a product that contains a surfactant; this will lessen surface scratching as they ‘lift’ dust etc into the media used avoiding surface friction (use a solution of Optimum no-rinse (ONR) diluted 1:20 / distilled water in a fine mist spray bottle) Renew the shine - Optimum QD don’t use on a hot paint surface (soon after driving) as this will cause streaking

Use a long nap micro fibre towel to ensure the dust lifted from the paint surface will remain in the nap and not on the towel surface thereby causing surface marring. Shake the towel occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it.

Application methodology - It is important to use a premium quality long nap micro fibre towel, lightly spray the towel, not the paint surface and wipe in one direction only, use a very light downward pressure, lifting the leading edge of a micro fibre towel upwards with each pass. This will avoid any dust build up on the leading edge of the towel and avoid surface scratching. After each pass turn and / or refold the towel, spray and repeat on the clean surface.

3. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

I'm in the exact situation. I would never do what you are suggesting. Even though it's the easy way. I use ONR most of the time and about every third time I will get out the buckets. Like Jon says you can dust it also But dusting isn't my favorite thing. Try ONR you will like but that take getting used to also...Optimum No Rinse...:thumb:

4. dogma

dogma Guest

Thanks, I do have ONR and usually wash with it when I have the car out for more than a day. On good weather weeks I will drive my care to work then at weeks end do an ONR wash and then reapply my lsp. The MF I use are from Target they are the thick grey ones and do a good job. I never wipe the car while its still hot . For instance i took it out yesterday for a couple of hours and this morining I wiped it down .

5. scottBT

scottBT Birth of a Detailer

even after a few hours drive i would be inclined to get the buckets out as its enevitable that you would of caught afew flies and maybe some road tar.
    some of these waterless products out there still wont protect your car as much as an old skool wash method imo:thumb:.

6. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

How would a wash protect your car? Do you mean clean?