Your take on Fluorescent lighting, looking at this

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by dsms, Jun 26, 2008.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Im looking into portable fluorescent lighting to use in my garage as opposed to installing all new fluorescents and fixtures on the ceiling . I found these at Top of the Line and they seem to be perfect to use when inspecting and polishing paint. Its called the K max portable fluorescent light.

heres the link ..
    K-Max Portable Light

2. richy

richy Guest

3. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Wow those are bright richy!

4. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I just did some reading on a few forums and found that fluorescent isnt the lighting I need for optimal defect finding. Basically I need lights that will show the most amount of defects and even the finest of swirls, the stuff that you see only in sun sometimes if there is such a light out there.

5. Nica

Nica Banned

Yes, there is they aren't cheap but they do exist. I was going to upgrade my existing lights in my garage but house is for sale so not going to bother any more, on the house I will have the best lighting system money can buy...can't wait to purchase the new house..I just hope the garage is unfinished .

6. richy

richy Guest

The bulbs I have have a colour temp of 6500 which is supposed to be equivalent to looking into the sun at high noon in July. All I know is they're super bright and hurt your eyes...more importantly, I have no problems seeing swirls or any other defect with them. I tried to get to topbulb.com's website however and it wouldn't load? Strange? I do strongly recommend these..they have worked very well for me. FWIW.

7. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

Metal halide lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll see everything and then some with these lights. Think parking lot lights.

BTW Richy what kind of base are you using for those lights?? Standard fixture base??

8. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I think Metal halides work best when they are installed on the ceiling of a garage but I am looking for something handheld.

9. richy

richy Guest

YUp..standard light fixture.

10. jamaicabraden

jamaicabraden Virgin Detailer

just got visited the site and was a good site. the products are cheap and with good quality.

11. brk4euros

brk4euros DB Pro Supporter

hopefully someone can chime in with some useful info! We could really better portable lighting.

12. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I posted this years ago.

Since then I say, and most would agree that handheld LED lights have done a great job at filling the gap between halogen work lights, which do not show all defects or holograms and of course sunlight, which is not always around when you need it.

For LED lights the Fenix TK11 is very popular, for me the bigger TK40 is a staple when polishing paint. It eats batteries like some sort of animal that likes eating batters :shead: Whatever, just buy extra double A's!

detailersdomain.com sells all the fenix products
    :thumb:

13. JC98

JC98 Birth of a Detailer

What about using a hanheld work light and putting in the bulb of your choice? You would still have to plug it in though so it is nopt quite as portable. I would imagine you could plug in the lights Richy uses into one of those if you didn't want to put them on all of the garage fixtures.

14. The Driver

The Driver Birth of a Detailer

Sorry to bump this but I felt I should drop a little input. Personally if you are looking for a handheld light the best to date IMO is the 3M sun gun, it is pricey but well worth it. Do some reading up on it and it will show why it is, clearly worth the price.

15. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Had one so BTDT, bought a Infratech from Phil and it does work better with no battery issue to deal with imo, the LED lights will find finite defects the best ie: holo's, rids, micromarring and let you know when ultimate gloss & clarity have been acheived.

16. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

So what's the best LED setup to have?

I've actually seen some LED stand lights like halogens, but it's on batteries and not a cord for power.

17. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

What's BTDT mean? :shrug:

18. Bunky

Bunky Guest

been there, done that?

19. uzj100

uzj100 Jedi Nuba

:worship2:Auto C. You have a PM

20. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

So, if I'm reading this right, in your opinion, the Infratech Light is better than the 3M sun gun?