Your favorite leather cleaner?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Ch40t1c, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

Hey guys, I was wondering what your favorite leather cleaner/finishers were, and also what you would suggest to use to maintain a leather interior. I've heard 8:1 woolite/water combination can be used to clean leather interior, but I've also seen people suggesting against it.

2. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Sonus Leather Cleaner and the Conditioner are my favorites. Both work really well and truly bring back that new leather scent that lasts as opposed to the fake leather perfumes of other leather products that are overwhelming at first and then fade.

3. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Also wondering peoples input on this question, mainly for me dealing with coated leathers.

4. DaveS4

DaveS4 Jedi Nuba

As far as leather cleaners, I've used Zymol and Leather Masters (everything else has been a cleaner/conditioner AIO) and for raw cleaning ability, I like the LM products, but the Zymol stuff is great for returning the leather to a flat sheen - just like new. I've been meaning to try Leatherique.

5. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

When you say Zymol you talking about white bottle's or clear bottles that are OTC? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question :)

6. DaveS4

DaveS4 Jedi Nuba

Sorry, I'm talking about the OTC stuff:

[​IMG]

7. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I use Leather Master Strong Cleaner and Soft Cleaner as well. I did find something surprising though. Last time I used LM Strong Cleaner until the sponge was no longer coming out dirty I decided to compare it to the Sonus by giving the seat another application, but with the Sonus this time and surprisingly it removed more dirt after the LM was no longer removing any. I did not expect that at all.

8. DaveS4

DaveS4 Jedi Nuba

Are you sure it was dirt and not dye??? :gasp:

9. Rooster_Cogburn

Rooster_Cogburn Virgin Detailer

Leather Masters Rapid S or Strong Cleaner for cleaning and Leather Masters Vital/Protection Cream to keep it pretty and soft.

10. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

I'd have to agree.:thumb: Phil got me hooked on this stuff!! The best part is LM isn't greasy feeling and leaves a nice matte finish.

11. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Yes, pretty sure. Been using this stuff for over 2 years now and it is very safe on the leather. Like LM Sonus is water based. That time I described the leather was very dirty as it had not been cleaned in quite some time.

12. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I use Majestic Solutions Leather and Plastic Cleaner and it performs better than any of the other leather cleaners I've used including Leather Master Strong. The Leather Master Strong was a product that I was kind of disappointed in. For conditioning I use either Wolfgang Leather conditioner, CGs Leather Conditioner, or Surf City. The DG leather conditioner is very nice too but I've run out of that.

For cleaning I found that if I combine the MS Leather and Plastic Cleaner with the Autoglym Hi-Tech cleaning pad I got from Autowerkes it really cleans up dirty leather with minimal effort.

13. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

I'll have to check all of these products out, anyone have information on anyplace that may carry like a "sample kit" kind of thing? Wanna try a whole bunch out to see which I like the best.

14. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

I like Majestic Solutions products too, but the last time I was there - the guy told me that Tidal Wave at 8:1 was better than the Leather Cleaner and you have a product that is more versital. I tried my old standard, Woolite 8:1 vs Tidal Wave on the same dirty Caddie interior. I had to go to 4:1 with the Tidal Wave to equal the 8:1 Woolite mix. There's a few detailers that consider Woolite not worthy, all I can say is try it for yourself.

15. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

It's not that Woolite isn't worthy. It's a GREAT cleaner. But, it is a detergent that contains harmful chemicals to leather and is meant to be washed away, it is a completely different application than it is intented for. It's just not good for leather. Even TOWGT, a detailing knowledge master has spoken against it.

16. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

Here is an e-mail from a guy that has been doing high dollar sports cars for years, and personally I'd take his real world experiene and opinion over anybody else.

When you really look at leather cleaners, they are nothing more than a soap, water, fragance, coloring etc. Look more into owners manuals will also tell you to "clean with mild soap".
    I've been using Woolite for a very long time, prior I used saddle soap as it always works well cleaning leather, but needed something less of a PITA.
    Todays leathers are coated, so Woolite is very harmless. It's when you start conditioning leather is whee people run into trouble. Mostly, way over application figuring more is better. Less is best unless it's really abused.
    I find it odd people still use Leatherique on coated leather. It's very messy and gives moderate results and can also take off some of the natural coating. Leatherique works very well for "natural" leathers or old distressed leather.

Now - like I stated before, ya'll can put all the faith you want on these forum experts, me? I trust what I have seen and the experience of a Pro, not just a part-timer like myself.

17. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Leather Master trio.

18. richy

richy Guest

I like using 303 cleaner cut 32:1. It's mild, ph balanced and still gets stuff clean. I follow it up with DG conditioner. I like the smell and feel it gives to the leather. I used to use the Zaino pair, but I found the DG stuff VERY close to it and same results for a cheaper price..especially if you buy it by the gallon.

19. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

Richy, I've heard a lot of detailers comment that the DG and Zaino leather products are VERY close! I have a CarQuest near by, so it's DG for me when the zaino runs out. Also, I have heard many people compliment zaino tire dressing, I've never tried it, but another old timer I know swears DG 253 is VERY close to it. That one will have to wait till I test a few more Majestic Solution dressings.

20. fricker66

fricker66 Birth of a Detailer

I've recently gotten hooked on Leatherique's Prestine Clean. It works great on leather in addition also works on vinyl, plastic and rubber.