Your favorite backing plates and pads

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by TheJakeR, Jul 5, 2009.

1. TheJakeR

TheJakeR Any Rag Vehicle Washer

So I need to do some serious rethinking about my paint correction methods. I feel confident with my polishes, but I need some more backing plates and pads in my arsenal.

Currently, I'm using Lake Country yellow packing plates (6.5 and 2 7/8 inch rotary ones and 5 and 3.5 inch DA ones)

and my main pads:

LC PFW
    LC Orange CCS
    LC White CCS
    LC red CCS if I want to apply wax by machine.

I know there's better out there, but I wanted to get your guys' opinions on what I should be picking up. I've gona back and forth between deciding on the EDGE ones, more LC, 3M backing plates, Gloss-it backing plates, etc...

Also, what are your favorite wool pads??

Thanks everyone!!

-Jake

2. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I have been using both the 5" and 3" GI BP's for the past 7months and am very pleased. The little BP has thick backing foam which helps greatly in tight areas where you need a little give (like by license plates and on rear bumbers) and the 5" performs equally as good. :thumb:

You can lean in on the little BP without causing a problem

[​IMG]

3. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

I use the Perfect-It 5 inch backing plate, and the uber 3 inch one. I like them both a lot, very smooth. I use PFW, but I could only find it in 6.5 so I cut it with scissors to about 5.5 to fit my 3M plate and it works MUCH better now. I use Uber pads, they work fantastic, I love them, the green is just like perfection. I prefer flat over CCS.

If you do decide on Uber, hold up a couple more days. Phil(DetailersDomain.com) is coming out with a cutting pad in a couple of days I believe, so PM him about it.

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I switched from the LC backing plates to the Gloss it ones a few months ago and will not be going back. I am also using the GI pads more often than not.

5. Nikku

Nikku Jedi Nuba

I use the 3M 5 inch BP and I also use the Rubbish Boy 3 inch bp. Both I love quite a bit but i'm probably going to try out the Gloss it 3 inch bp to see how it stacks up. I want a little more give for the 3 inch for those those hard to reach but curvy areas.

6. Spyral

Spyral DB Forum Supporter

3m UK 5" BP and Uber pads on a FLEX rotary.

7. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I've got the 3M UK plate and love it. I also like the Meguiar's So1o backing plate, but it is oddly sized, and really only works well with So1o pads and 6.5" and larger pads. My favorite pads are the 3M UK ones, the green cutting, yellow polishing, and blue finishing are all wonderful.

There are some pads that I've decided that I really don't like much at all, mostly the LC CCS pads. I've got a collection of 4" ones, and over a few uses, they have become misshapen, and only the very middle of the pad contacts the panel unless I use a lot of pressure. I'll be looking into alternatives to LC for 4" pads soon. I hate to think what they cost, but I'll probably try the Gloss-it pads next.

I also recently picked up a Meg's burgundy foam cutting pad, and it seems to have the same problem, right out of the wrapper - the pad surface is somewhat convex, and I'm finding it difficult to use as a result. I've only used it once though, so maybe I need to break it in.

Haven't yet tried my 6" waffle pads I got from Rubbish Boy's.

8. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

We used to use the LC CCS pads with the Meg's BP but never really felt comfortable with them. We have since switched to the the 3M yellow BP and pads (green, yellow and blue) and haven't looked back since :thumb:

Spot pads are a mix of the 3M ones and LC ones on a PB backing plate ;)

9. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

3M UK, Megs W66, and I need to buy a new 3" BP. Looking at the GI or Uber.

10. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I have 2 LC backing plates, 2 RB BP's (love 'em) and the DD one also.

Pads, I have flat and ccs from LC in various sizes and colors
    3m uk orange flat
    meg's 7" twisted wool in both heavy and light cut
    PFW in both sizes!

my orange pads are starting to show wear, and need more blue pads.

11. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Nuba

I just made the jump as well. I have only heard great things on them.

12. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

How timely that this thread came back up near the top...

Darkstar, no kidding, the green Uber pad is fan-freaking-tastic! I used it for the first time today and I love that thing. The green Uber pad and Power Finish has now become my "default" combination, replacing Power Finish + 3M UK Yellow. The orange Uber pad is also very nice. I'd say it has a bit less cut than a "traditional" Lake Country orange, but I've only used it once on a small area, so my opinion may change.

I really like the fact that the foam on both of these has some compliance in it; it flexes around curves nicely, and feels like it just glides over the car. I'll definitely be ordering a bunch more of these pads from Phil. Can't wait to get my hands on this cutting pad you speak of - at some point, my prized 3M UK green is going to wear out, and I'll look to the Uber as a substitute.

13. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

+1 on the Uber Green pads.

14. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I have the 3M UK backing plate and Detailers Domain pads.... I haven't tried anything else yet though so I can't compare....

15. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

+1

It's so great that I didn't even know I ran out of power finish.

Other than that, I use the 3M perfect-it UK backing plate too. In my collection, I have uber pads for the heavier cut and 3M US pads for the lighter cut and finishing.

16. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

On and off this afternoon and tonight, I did the first polish on my S2000 in a long time. Man I've been missing out not using the Uber pads, I absolutely love them. It's sooooo smooth to work with those things - the orange and the green both. I love it when a product exceeds my expectations!

3M UK backing plate for me too. I wouldn't be without it.

I've got a couple of boxes worth of various pads, but I've just mentioned my favorites for now. I'm a pad whore. :lol:

17. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

I've been using the 3M UK yellow BP (5"ish) on my Flex 3403 and just tried a 5.5" orange Uber pad last week with it. had been using mix n' match of white pads previously. Had a couple of tougher areas on the truck I was polishing and was pleasantly impressed with the Uber orange pad. I really like the 5.5" size on my flex and with PowerFinish it finished down LSP ready, while getting rid of more defects than the LC white pads. And, as others said, it's very smooth on the paint and contours well around a car's nuances.

18. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

yeah, i think i've tried em all except for sonus which i don't care about anymore because the uber pads come in so many sizes and cut level. i can't lose!

19. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Recently switched from LC pads to GI pads and GI bp's and I'm staying with those. This stuff is great.

20. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Just bought a 5" 3M bp for my pc and the heat melted the center of the bp and melted the center of my new 6" 3m pad. Seems that the heat is being transfered to the plate that is holding the bolt. Anyone with this problem? Used my LC bp to finish the job with no problems.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]