WRB Subaru BRZ - 2 step paint correction & Opti-Coat by Mr. Sparkle Detailing - Long Island

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Mr. Sparkle, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle DB Pro Supporter

After doing a number of FRS / BRZ with 1 step polishes only I expected much of the same on this day. This paint through me a curveball so it's worth sharing.

Ultimately for the correction process I settled on:

Griots + Megs MF pads + D300
    Flex 3401 + LC white + Menz SF4000

Client dropped off a world rally blue BRZ for paint correction and Opti-Coat. After inspection under LED I still anticipated a 1 step only. I did my usual wash, iron x, clay bar routine and moved on to taking some paint measurements.

I found some big inconsistencies in the paint depth which alerted me to a couple areas I'd have to be careful. Here we see 150+ microns

[​IMG]

and nearly half as much material in this area running along the roof (low readings on both sides in this area)

[​IMG]

Moving on I spent some time taping off the trim to protect it during polishing

[​IMG]

Then I started my test spots. My usual 1 step combos were just not cutting it. I'd get about 90% of the defects out but there was always a little something left behind. Seemed clear this car did not have widespread defects but what was present, some of it was deep. I had plenty of time with the car, so I changed my game plan and looked for a 2 step combo to get where I needed.

A look at the paint to start

[​IMG]

After the correction process

[​IMG]

Correcting the roof with the Griots polisher (you can disregard my friends Sti that was also in the shop that day and also WRB)

[​IMG]

Paint before under LED flood light

[​IMG]

after correction

[​IMG]

Car was washed again, wiped down with 'Eraser' and then protected with Opti-Coat

Afters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and under LED floods only

[​IMG]

Another happy client in the Mr. Sparkle garage!

2. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

Sweeeeeet buddy! Great to see this, I have a FRS coming up in a few weeks!

3. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Looks pretty darned good, nice job!

4. aowheels

aowheels DB Pro Supporter

Matches Perfect with the garage flooring! Great Job!

5. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle DB Pro Supporter

Yes it really ties the room together - lol

Thanks for the comments guys

6. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

I want one of these cars so bad lol great work, looks good enough for my garage :D

7. cnut

cnut DB Forum Supporter

Nice work!