Would you even try to fix this?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by sdpnoy, Aug 26, 2009.

1. sdpnoy

sdpnoy Virgin Detailer

Okay sorry for the crummy phone pics but my camera's at home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From the looks of it, it looks like whatever the body shop used to buff the car out broke down. The CC doesn't appear to be coming apart but more oxidized than anything. There's heavy swirl marks...almost looks like an unfinished wetsanding job.

The car is a 99 Eclipse. The reason why it looks so bad is that the car is primarily outside with no shade and the car was having motor issues for a long time. I rarely drove it and I neglected it. Now that I have all the motor issues resolved, I wanted to bring it out of retirement. The rest of the car seems to be okay. It's just the roof looks really, really bad. I wanted to ask you folks if this is even worth spending time and effort trying to restore it.

I'm a total newb and I just signed on this week so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I now have my hands on a PC and was thinking of getting the Meguiar's Solo Kit.

The car was resprayed Honda's Nighthawk Black. about 5 years ago.

(I apologize if this is in the wrong section)

2. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

It looks like cc failure to me, but I may be wrong. See if you can get your hands on some Megs105/205. At this point I don't see how you could do anything but improve the looks.

I think you should be able to remove alot of that mess with a PC

:sorry about not getting back to you from the PM you had sent, I was outside talking with my neighbor:bla2: :bla2: :bla2: : :giggle:

3. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

What Flash said. I'd certainly try it - it's unlikely to work, but if you know it needs a repaint anyway, you may as well try.

4. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Whats the worst that could happen... you ruin a pad?

Wast $1 of compound?

5. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

where are you located? maybe someone with more experience could take a look at it and maybe help out? to me it looks like heavily oxidized clearcoat, but like gordon said it cant get worse so id say go for it

6. Stems

Stems Birth of a Detailer

I say go for it as well. Try out some polish/pad combos on a test area to see what kind of results you get; I think you'll be surprised :)

7. sdpnoy

sdpnoy Virgin Detailer

A buddy of mine who has his own detailing business wants to take a crack at it. Like what you folks have said, it doesn't hurt to try. It will look better than it does right now.

8. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Be sure and post the results > :picture:

:waiting2:

9. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

wool, compound, and 3000rpms, just like the Detail King! :lol:

just kidding about the 3K rpms, btw.

10. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Don't joke like that Pete... 5k rpms would be much better...

11. Denzil

Denzil Guest

It looks very badly oxidized and swirled. You may have to result to wet sanding followed by compounding and polishing. Good luck!

Nighthawk Black Pearl is a wonderful color. :)

12. sdpnoy

sdpnoy Virgin Detailer

Denzil...you're right. It is a nice color. Well in my case, it WAS a nice color. Luckily my friend has been detailing since we've been in high school and he's pretty much got it down. I hope he does since it's been 13 years. He did mention that if it is that bad, we could wet sand it down and go from there. Luckily it's just the roof of the car that looks like this.