Working on technique

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Pooter, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Pooter

Pooter Birth of a Detailer

I was wondering how everyone works on their buffing/wet sanding technique and new products? Do you just start using on your clients, you working on your everydays or do you take the plunge like me and get hoods from your local salvage yard to work in your Garage/basement? Just curiuos more than anything.

2. Twista616

Twista616 Virgin Detailer

Thats exactly how I started...grabbing a crappy black hood from a local body shop and going at it. I would split the hood in 4 and try different products/techniques...then I used my own car before I went ahead on a clients car...

Also read up on what people say about a product, it will help when they give their experiences...though everyones different...but your on the right track!

3. Nica

Nica Banned

:nod: when I first started using a rotary and wet sanding I wet at it with my old beater. Almost burnt through the clear coat as well and didn’t' even have a paint gauge so no way I'd start on a customers vehicle.

Thing is my beater (Jeep) has more rust then paint hahahaha perfect candidate :D

Before I use a new product I usually use it on older vehicles and get family members to donate there beaters, they can't complain they get a free detail out of it and I get to test out the products. Win, win scenario if you ask me.

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I use everything on my own vehicles first as I'm going to be most careful there. Once I get the hang of it, then off to the customer's vehicles I go!

5. Joyriide1113

Joyriide1113 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Everything you should watch out for with a rotory while building up technique is pretty simple. Tape up, watch for edges, trim, keep it flat, keep it movin', faster is not better, yadayadayada. One thing you can't prepare for and forum member warned me a long time agp about was the actual feel of a rotory is a lot different. It will push, pull,jump, and scoot if you do not control it right. For this, I actually practiced on my washer and dryer. Spent a good 30 minutes learning to guide and slide the machine where I wanted. After that I immediately jumped onto the hood of my mini cooper (at the time) and went to town. Got it down pretty well with the exception of trails and halos but at the time I always finished with a PC so it did not matter.

6. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

I find that i know wha i know... which isnt much these days... try the new stuff on clients cars.. if it works awsome, if not then go to what you know...it may take alittle extar time but you learn to sue products oncars (yours or customers) and still know you will be able to correcy

just my 2 cents

7. Dandrop

Dandrop Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I personally wouldn't experiment on client's or other people's nicer cars, especially with wetsanding & rotary polishers. Because:

1) You don't know what to expect since you are a beginner
    2) You probably wouldn't know what to do if the doodoo hit the fan.

Too many variables that can potentially ruin a 'detailer's reputation', if that's a concern.

I practice on my beater car...or relative's beater cars first before i use it on a decent car. With waxes and sealants i just use on anyone's, those are easy to remove and correct.

8. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

i personally like the risky feeling of trying out my new techniques on my clients buggati veyron :shrug:

9. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Personally I would NEVER learn for to use a rotary on a clients car. If you screw up your car, it is your own fault and you can get it fixed on your own time. Trying to learn how to use a rotary in a clients car might turn out horribly. A rotary is by no means hard to use, but the risk is there to burn paint and damage trim pieces. Personally if I damaged their car I would have to pay to have it repaired properly. Just seems dangerous and almost irresponsible to learn how to wet sand or operate a rotary in a clients car.

We are in a business where word of mouth is almost everything. I would never risk my name on something where there are readily available substitutes.

10. Pooter

Pooter Birth of a Detailer

hmmm never thought about the washer and dryer :shead: while Im at it my tool box could use a nice polish. Save me the time and effort from buying hoods @ the local salvage yard. :applause2:

11. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Desks, and deep freezers also work well.

12. Joyriide1113

Joyriide1113 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

This didn't help in creating a good finish, but definately helped me get an idea on how to guide and maneuver the polisher before trying it out on paint.