Won't buff out

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Ch40t1c, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

Hey all, thought I'd just fill you all in on the brutal events that transpired this past weekend. On January 23rd at ~12:59PM, I was travelling north bound on I405 when a white E150 van speeds by and starts moving into my lane while the back half of his van is still aligned with my car. This caused me to spin out at 60MPH and long story short, hit the guard rail on the left side of the interstate hitting the guard rail at ~40MPH. Won't be buffing this one out :doh:. Thankfully, no one was injured and we didn't hit any other cars in our spin out. I was fortunate enough to have two people behind me stop and we got their information for witness purposes. Police arrived on the scene in under a minute, and took both parties involved statements. It's been stressful working with the insurance companies, and hopefully the adjusters can determine fault soon so I can get into a rental for the time being. I'll try to get pictures sometime, there is severe front end damage, and the right side is pretty messed up. I was surprised the air bags didn't go off, and none of the glass was damaged. All in all I'm incredibly lucky that no one involved was hurt, not even a scratch which is pretty amazing IMO. I should be glad Volvo's are really just tanks in disguise :thumb:. If anyone has any tips or things I should remember when dealing with the auto body shop, or either party's insurance let me know. I'm expecting to be without a car for atleast a month which is unfourtunate, but I'm confident that things will work out in my favor. Now I play the waiting game :cig:

2. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

id talk to abzero, he would have inside on this since he had kinda same thing where other party left scene of accident.
    why didnt you hit brake?

3. Ch40t1c

I did and tried swerving out of the way, but he moved in too fast so we still spun out. His story is that he didn't see my car, but he passed on the left so I would've thought it would have been clear my car is there. In hindsight I think swerving out of the way might not have been the best thing to do, but if I let his van hit me full on it would have sent the front end of my car straight into the concrete barrier on the right side opposed to the guard rail on the left.

4. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Never settle for their first offer... me and a friend bought a truck back from the insurance company to fix... there first offer was $4500 for the truck and $1100 buy back... walked out with $5200 for the truck and bought it back for $500...

5. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Sorry to hear man, hope everything gets resolved and quick. Good luck.

6. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Sorry to hear about it, like you said good thing no one is hurt. Best of luck with the insurance company. No need to look back and think of if i did something different...things happen and that is why we have insurance...Like kustomizingkid said negotiate with them for the most money and best of luck!

7. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

oh so he did stop. i thought he drove off. at least thats good. driving comes with experience i guess. one thing i asume is that everybody else on road is idiots and that im one controlling situation so i always look around and keep everything in check to avoid stuff like this. but all situations are different so cant speak for others. good luck with this and good thing you are ok. and thats right after your bday so its kinda sucks

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

That sucks but I'm glad you're ok.

9. Nica

Nica Banned

Glad to hear no serious injuries, you know it could have been worse...well it could always be worse but if you look on the bright side the vehicle can be replaced/fixed (once all the paper work gets all done) but human injuries never go away completely.

Hope everything works out, keep us posted :peace:

10. Ch40t1c

Update: Heard from the body shop's estimator, and the other party's adjuster and they said we're looking at ~13k in repairs so far. So it looks like it'll be totalled. However, the opposing party's insurance is only claiming 20% liability at this time, which quite frankly is a load of crap. I understand it's their job to make this hard, so I expect the battle to get his insurance to accept full liability to take a month at the very least. On the bright side, I was hoping it was totalled, so this is good news. I'll be in contact with the insurance companies and we'll see how things go. Til then :popcorn: